Quantcast

BMX sizing?

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
OK, I'll order one Monday! Now I'm stoked I'm too small for a $1500+ DJ bikes lol. Those vids from the FIT site show it doing everything I want it to do and more. I cant wait to throw that little baby around! Once I can pull a decent manual on it, I will so post it. :biggrin:

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
A 19.5-20" tt IS my exact size! The bike I have now is for someone who is 5'7"-6'. :poster_oops: So yeah, its a bit big, lol.... Same tt as my Haro cruiser.

2009 Eastern Traildigger 24"

Recommended rider height: 5' 7" - 6'+
Product Weight: 30.50 lbs.
Top Tube Size: 21.75

A 19.5tt Recommended rider height: 4' 8'' - 5' 4'', so that might be ideal but for jumps I was told to aire longer.

Heres the bike I want:
2009 FIT TRL1

Product Information
RIDING STYLE: Trail

SIZING INFORMATION: 20" Top Tube. Estimated rider height: 5' to 5' 7".

WEIGHT: 25.5 lbs :biggrin:

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I could always put a shortie stem if it felt too long or would that not change things? The only bad part is they are out of stock til the 12th, so it will be a long wait. I'm just thinking I probably should sell my 24" after I get my new bike. Even though its way to big, I've had a lot of fun on it! I'll ride it first though. If it handles all the jumps, might not want the cruiser anymore. So far my cruiser has been the best bike I've had, even though I'm not 6' tall lol. But then if theres something I want for my new BMX, least I'll have some stash cash.

JayBear

Monkey
a shorter stem would tighten things up, but I honestly dont think youll have too..Coming from the 24 your going to be siked on the bike and the sizing..A little longer top tube will help you with the pump your going to need at the trails( dirt jumps) ..

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I have a shortie stem from KHE on my cruiser now I could switch. Just wondering. Oh man, I dont have patience. I've spent hours and hours trying to find a good bike and now that I think I have one, I have to wait lol.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
My experience with Fit has been nothing but good..Customer service has been top notch..

Fit=S&M so yes their bikes are awsome. I have the Fit CR24 and love it but of course its the only S&M/Fit made overseas not that that is bad but rather have a US product. BUY the FIT or if you want really light and you can pull it off is the Eastern Grim Reaper 2

http://www.danscomp.com/211369.php?cat=FRAMESFSD

frame is 4lbs warrantied for like looks sick with the cut outs and comes with a 20"tt but you would have to build it

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
The fit frame is 0.2 lbs heavier. I wouldnt notice that. Just curious, what would I change on the FIT to lighten it, how much lighter, and how much would it cost? I mean, thinking I should just ride it and when I get a better job, can start fixing it up. I'm really digging the FIT now and plan on ordering it tomorrow. Went to the skatepark and the BMXers there said it was a good bike.

Just wondering, are there any girls doing BMX besides some racing? I've never seen a girl at the park on a bike. Those guys can really spin theirs at the park and wondering if there are any girls out there that can do that sort of thing. I know we can do some racing stuff, but never seen a girl throw it around like a dude can. I would like to see another girl pull even a good manual, if not plan on it being me. :brows:

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
Just wondering, are there any girls doing BMX besides some racing? I've never seen a girl at the park on a bike. Those guys can really spin theirs at the park and wondering if there are any girls out there that can do that sort of thing. I know we can do some racing stuff, but never seen a girl throw it around like a dude can. I would like to see another girl pull even a good manual, if not plan on it being me. :brows:

heck yes!!! its awsome to hear of a girl with such a good attitude towards riding. hopefully you will be great. +rep

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I do a little skating and can do vert, nothing great, not many pics but this is me after skating for 9 months. My skates weigh 10 lbs lol, and I can throw them around. My wheels are almost never on the concrete so thats why I thought maybe I should jump on my bike. I'll give it a go at the BMX!

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
to go lighter cranks Demolition w/ ti spindle, Profiles with ti spindle, Primo Anyerlator stem (7.9oz) Fly rear brake one of the lightest and best tektro brakes suck first thing i swapped out on my cr24 now it actually stops, pivitol seat and seat post. just some ideas then of course custom wheel set with Odessey hazzard lite hoops and I prefer Profile hubs just personal prefrence. Then again it is not a full cromoly frame so sinking money into it isnt worth it but you can use the parts if you upgrade the frame and fork.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
holy crap! those are regular skates not inline arent they. ive only ever seen that in a video and it was carter from blk mrkt in the video FLOATIN.
Yep, regular rollerskates. I dont like the feel of inlines and saw people could ride rollerskates, so I gave it a try and it was fun. People are facinated by it, more so if I'm riding a unicycle. So I guess if I'm the only girl doing DJ, wont matter lol.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
to go lighter cranks Demolition w/ ti spindle, Profiles with ti spindle, Primo Anyerlator stem (7.9oz) Fly rear brake one of the lightest and best tektro brakes suck first thing i swapped out on my cr24 now it actually stops, pivitol seat and seat post. just some ideas then of course custom wheel set with Odessey hazzard lite hoops and I prefer Profile hubs just personal prefrence. Then again it is not a full cromoly frame so sinking money into it isnt worth it but you can use the parts if you upgrade the frame and fork.
Is is cause the frame I'm getting isnt as strong? Just wondering. The tt on the FIT is full chrom, and thats usually what cracks I think. Cause I could always upgrade it, then if something happened to the frame, upgrade that. I think the BB is different, thats all. Just would be a custom over time. What about upgrading the fork, would that be a good place to start or cranks? I think I will change the brake as one good one would be cool. I'm really small and weigh under 100 so I doubt I would actually bust up the frame. I've been riding aluminum and not busted that up, yet lol.

Last edited:

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
Hey, how much would a grim reaper with just the pro build weigh? I actually work at a bike shop but they dont do BMX. I could possibly see if I could get the frame and parts through work and it might not be outrageous. I am actually not sure how much the FIT frame weighs as its S3 geometry, maybe not the S3.5 frame.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Hey, how much would a grim reaper with just the pro build weigh? I actually work at a bike shop but they dont do BMX. I could possibly see if I could get the frame and parts through work and it might not be outrageous. I am actually not sure how much the FIT frame weighs as its S3 geometry, maybe not the S3.5 frame.
You work at a bike shop ? Check which distributors your shop has accounts with..... QBP (Quality Bicycle Products) is one of the big ones and has a lot of BMX.

Quality Bicycle Products
6500 W. 105th Street
Bloomington, MN
55438 - 2554
(877) 244 - 2269
(800) 346 - 0211

Seattle Bike Supply
7620 S. 192nd
Kent, WA
(800) 283 - 2453
(425) 251 - 6041 - Fax
(800) 955 - 2453 - Toll-Free Fax

System Cycle
201 Shotwell Drive
Franklin, OH
(937) 746 - 7717
(937) 746 - 9148 - Fax

Tip Plus
2677 El Predidio Street
Long Beach, Ca
(310) 885 - 4310
(310) 885 - 4316 - Fax

Ten Pack Distribution
110-8575 Government Street
Burnaby, BC
V3N4V1 Canada
(604) 421 - 2229
(604) 421 - 2239 - Fax (877) 310 - PACK - Toll Free Number

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
look into a 20" top tube frame, or a 19" hamilton. for bmx, a lot of it is preference. some people are 6' and ride a 20" top tube, i'm 6' and i ride a 21.25"

how old are you? if you're still growing, get something like a 20.5" top tube so you can continue to comfortably ride it.
http://www.danscomp.com/101570.php?cat=BIKES
http://www.danscomp.com/101568.php?cat=BIKES
http://www.danscomp.com/101212.php?cat=BIKES
http://www.danscomp.com/101971.php?cat=BIKES
http://www.danscomp.com/101681.php?cat=BIKES
http://www.danscomp.com/101677.php?cat=BIKES
http://www.danscomp.com/101783.php?cat=BIKES

any of those would be a solid bike for you.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Is is cause the frame I'm getting isnt as strong? Just wondering. The tt on the FIT is full chrom, and thats usually what cracks I think. Cause I could always upgrade it, then if something happened to the frame, upgrade that. I think the BB is different, thats all. Just would be a custom over time. What about upgrading the fork, would that be a good place to start or cranks? I think I will change the brake as one good one would be cool. I'm really small and weigh under 100 so I doubt I would actually bust up the frame. I've been riding aluminum and not busted that up, yet lol.
cranks would be a better investment then the fork if you are trying to lighten it up.

i put primo hollowbites with cromo spindle, the primo stem and 30t chainwheel, fly brake, primo pivitol seat post and subrosa seat but i added halo 2.2 twin rails on my cr24 and ended up only saving 2 pounds.
you would be able to go with lighter cranks and ti spindle so you would save more weight. that and a pivitol seat post and seat and Fly rear brake is all i would do in your case. I have used Fly brakes on 3 bikes so far and the are the best stoppers out in my opinion

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
We can order from SBS or QBP. I could get an Aaron Ross FUnday frame from Sunday, but most the frames wouldnt compare to the Reaper if I were going all out as far as weight goes. I can order stuff. Even the Sinz cranks seem cheap and much lighter. I could get the Stolen Riot through work for much less, could upgrade that but I'd rather at least start with a good frame. I need to decide. It would be expensive but I could possibly get decent parts for about $500 I estimated through QBP and then a frame.

I can ride 20" wheels on normal dirt jumps? If so I can sell my cruiser and would be able to do this. Of course I'd rather pay less and make a few upgrades if it wont feel/ride much differently. Weight and size are my main issues as I'm not strong like the dudes.

No, not growing, I'm old lol.

Oh, Was told stock frames are 5-6 lbs, much heavier then individual ones so it would be heavier to get a bike not custom.

Last edited:

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
Should I get this BMX for parts, then get a smaller frame, its 21" tt but I could ride it a bit, shorter cranks and handlebars if needed? This bike is 23-24lbs.

The rest of the bike is of the following

Profile 180mm cranks Black (not painted but factory black)

Eastern sprocket

Animal plastic(clear smoked) pedels

New chain

Eastern rear cassete hub with Alex Super-B rim black spokes on black hub, chrom rim

Odyssey vandero hub on Odyssey Hazard lite rim

Odyssey Plyte tire on front, Primo the wall on back

I think the fron for is Eastern

Frame of course is Eastern Grim reaper

Atom Lab bars (biggest they make 8" rise or more)

DK steam

ODI longneck grips

Tektro 990's with some crazy expensive cable I bought

Shadow Conspiracy seat.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Should I get this BMX for parts, then get a smaller frame, its 21" tt but I could ride it a bit, shorter cranks and handlebars if needed? This bike is 23-24lbs.

The rest of the bike is of the following

Profile 180mm cranks Black (not painted but factory black)

Eastern sprocket

Animal plastic(clear smoked) pedels

New chain

Eastern rear cassete hub with Alex Super-B rim black spokes on black hub, chrom rim

Odyssey vandero hub on Odyssey Hazard lite rim

Odyssey Plyte tire on front, Primo the wall on back

I think the fron for is Eastern

Frame of course is Eastern Grim reaper

Atom Lab bars (biggest they make 8" rise or more)

DK steam

ODI longneck grips

Tektro 990's with some crazy expensive cable I bought

Shadow Conspiracy seat.
whats the price?

Actually the frame you would want is the grim reaper 2 and it does come in a 20"tt Dan's Comp price is list $399 but the frame is only 4lbs most other frames are over 5lbs

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . .
I can ride 20" wheels on normal dirt jumps? . . . .
20" riders prefer more groomed riding surface on their jumps. but your question is kinda strange, because 20" bmx riders INVENTED dirt jumping. so "normal" dirt jumps are specifically designed for 20"s. i don't know what you have in mind though.

have you found a spot yet where you are going to ride your new bike ?

*** Maybe the riders over at Women of Freestyle would have some suggestions for you as far as the lightness/shortness issue you've been asking about.

common factor in all of these pics is jumping 2 wheels over dirt:

Last edited:

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I'm going to test ride it since its light (23lbs he said) and the frame I want. Will give me an idea how it rides. Just its 21" so too long. Hes asking $400. Heres the link: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/1207142351.html I was thinking I could use the parts and get the right size frame, then sell the longer frame. I sold the DJer! So I have a grand I could spend now from selling stuff. I hate spending all this money, but since I'm so small I think the lightness will really help me, and make it TONS more fun. I also am feeling I will like the slightly longer 20"tt frame since it will be more stable for jumping rather then the Stolen bike.

I could get the frame and buy parts through QBP. I would need help on choosing. I know MTB parts but just realized that BMX is more for me so pretty ignorant on parts.

Think since I can get wholesale, it might pay off to either upgrade or go custom. I'm trying to contact FIT to see how much the stock frame weighs.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I'm going to test ride it since its light (23lbs he said) and the frame I want. Will give me an idea how it rides. Just its 21" so too long. Hes asking $400. Heres the link: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/1207142351.html I was thinking I could use the parts and get the right size frame, then sell the longer frame. I sold the DJer! So I have a grand I could spend now from selling stuff. I hate spending all this money, but since I'm so small I think the lightness will really help me, and make it TONS more fun. I also am feeling I will like the slightly longer 20"tt frame since it will be more stable for jumping rather then the Stolen bike.

I could get the frame and buy parts through QBP. I would need help on choosing. I know MTB parts but just realized that BMX is more for me so pretty ignorant on parts.

Think since I can get wholesale, it might pay off to either upgrade or go custom. I'm trying to contact FIT to see how much the stock frame weighs.

That guy's bike.... 21"tt is too long. The bars are too tall for you--you should be looking at bars in the 6.75" to 7.25" tall range. And the cranks are too long. They are 180mm, and I suggest you look at some 165mm flatland cranks or 170mm. Maybe 175mm at the most.

If you want an Eastern, the Tramp would be a better choice. The 19.5"tt fits you better. The shortness will more than make up for 0.75 lb weight difference.

Detailed Description
* 19.5" top tube perfect for flatland and park/street
* 74.5ha, 71sa, 13.75"cs
* 100% Japanese chromoly
* Eastern Lightning Rod tubing on the downtube
* Integrated seatpost clamp
* Heat-treated mid bb, 14mm dropouts and integrated headtube w/ removeable gyro tabs
* Eastern laser-cut headtube logo
* 74.5ha, 71sa, 13.75"cs
* 4.75 lb

On SALE for $199
http://www.flatlandfuel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1511

If you're not going to be using pegs... a bmx RACE bike is still the lightest way to go. You said you didn't like the 20 X 1 3/8 tires... but seriously... this bike is 19 pounds and it's designed for someone exactly your size: http://www.danscomp.com/101699.php?cat=RACE

Recommended rider height: 4' 6" - 5' 4"

Available Colors: BLACK | RED | ZEBRA (+$20.00)

FEATURES:
Frame: 20" 6061 Aluminum, Euro BB
Fork: SINZ Chromoly Race Fork 1 Steerer
Headset: 1 Threadles Alloy Cap
Handlebar: SINZ Aluminum Junior Size
Stem: SINZ Alloy
Grips: SINZ Expert Sticky Grips
Saddle: SINZ Alloy Mini Saddle/Post Smoke
Seat Post: N/A
Freewheel: DNP 16 tooth
Crankset: SINZ Alloy 155mm
BB Set: Sealed Semi Cartidge
Chainwheel: BMX Alloy 42 tooth 3/32
Rear Brake: SINZ Alloy Linear
Brake Levers: AINZ Alloy
Brake Cable: Deluxe Casing
Pedals: SINZ Alloy Mini Platform
Chain: KMC 1/2 x 1/8
Front Hub: SINZ Alloy Sealed Bearing 28 hole
Rear Hub: SINZ Alloy Sealed Bearing 28 hole Flip Flop
Rims: SINZ 28 Hole 20x1 3/8
Tensioners: SINZ Mini
Tires: ITS Micro Knobby's 20x 1 3/8

Dimensions
Top Tube Length: 20"
Chain Stay Length: 13.5-15
Head Tube Angle: 73
Seat Tube Angle: 70
B/B Height: 11"

Price: $399.95

https://www.jrbicycles.com/storefront/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2401

Last edited:

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
20" riders prefer more groomed riding surface on their jumps. but your question is kinda strange, because 20" bmx riders INVENTED dirt jumping. so "normal" dirt jumps are specifically designed for 20"s. i don't know what you have in mind though.

have you found a spot yet where you are going to ride your new bike ?

*** Maybe the riders over at Women of Freestyle would have some suggestions for you as far as the lightness/shortness issue you've been asking about.

common factor in all of these pics is jumping 2 wheels over dirt:

SWEET! I think it will take a bit to get used to the squirreliness but I will like the small bike MUCH better. The guys that do DJs were telling me to get a big heavy bike. I sold it, it didnt work out. So I'll prob. sell my cruiser too once I get a nice one.

The FIT stock frame does weigh 1.5-2 lbs more then the custom ones. So looks like it worth it to build mine, even if its less then ideal parts. If that bike looks OK, I guess I should get it for parts, just get shorter cranks, bars and frame? I'll check out that site. Thanks for helping! I really want a sweet bike.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
Dude, thanks! Now this is badazz lol. I want this to be ME!!

I like this one too lol.

Not sure but maybe get the small STolen and fix it up lighter, cranks, wheels, fork? Later get the nice frame since I cant get that discount at work.

Last edited:

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
The Eastern frame might be good! Not the race bike. Like I said, will be doing DJing on rougher terrain. Skinny wheels are out and the bigger rims DONT fit on that frame. What I was saying on that bike is that I would sell the frame and get a shorter frame, different bars and shorter cranks. DIdnt I post this? I know those are too big. But the parts might be a cheapier way to go, just a though, gives me an idea to test ride it on how the frame rides.

That guy's bike.... 21"tt is too long. The bars are too tall for you--you should be looking at bars in the 6.75" to 7.25" tall range. And the cranks are too long. They are 180mm, and I suggest you look at some 165mm flatland cranks or 170mm. Maybe 175mm at the most.

If you want an Eastern, the Tramp would be a better choice. The 19.5"tt fits you better. The shortness will more than make up for 0.75 lb weight difference.

Detailed Description
* 19.5" top tube perfect for flatland and park/street
* 74.5ha, 71sa, 13.75"cs
* 100% Japanese chromoly
* Eastern Lightning Rod tubing on the downtube
* Integrated seatpost clamp
* Heat-treated mid bb, 14mm dropouts and integrated headtube w/ removeable gyro tabs
* Eastern laser-cut headtube logo
* 74.5ha, 71sa, 13.75"cs
* 4.75 lb

On SALE for $199
http://www.flatlandfuel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1511

If you're not going to be using pegs... a bmx RACE bike is still the lightest way to go. You said you didn't like the 20 X 1 3/8 tires... but seriously... this bike is 19 pounds and it's designed for someone exactly your size: http://www.danscomp.com/101699.php?cat=RACE

Recommended rider height: 4' 6" - 5' 4"

Available Colors: BLACK | RED | ZEBRA (+$20.00)

FEATURES:
Frame: 20" 6061 Aluminum, Euro BB
Fork: SINZ Chromoly Race Fork 1 Steerer
Headset: 1 Threadles Alloy Cap
Handlebar: SINZ Aluminum Junior Size
Stem: SINZ Alloy
Grips: SINZ Expert Sticky Grips
Saddle: SINZ Alloy Mini Saddle/Post Smoke
Seat Post: N/A
Freewheel: DNP 16 tooth
Crankset: SINZ Alloy 155mm
BB Set: Sealed Semi Cartidge
Chainwheel: BMX Alloy 42 tooth 3/32
Rear Brake: SINZ Alloy Linear
Brake Levers: AINZ Alloy
Brake Cable: Deluxe Casing
Pedals: SINZ Alloy Mini Platform
Chain: KMC 1/2 x 1/8
Front Hub: SINZ Alloy Sealed Bearing 28 hole
Rear Hub: SINZ Alloy Sealed Bearing 28 hole Flip Flop
Rims: SINZ 28 Hole 20x1 3/8
Tensioners: SINZ Mini
Tires: ITS Micro Knobby's 20x 1 3/8

Dimensions
Top Tube Length: 20"
Chain Stay Length: 13.5-15
Head Tube Angle: 73
Seat Tube Angle: 70
B/B Height: 11"

Price: $399.95

https://www.jrbicycles.com/storefront/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2401

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
Any suggestions for build that I can get from QBP? I think that Eastern will work out the best as its tiny. OK, need a MID bb and integrated headset. Or does Eastern suck like some BMXers say? Maybe then just fix up the Stolen? I will check out some stuff at work but doesnt say weight usually, just price.

Last edited:

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
So I should go with the Stolen then? As far as wearing out/breaking the crank or fork, not sure that will happen lol. I really think I need to go with the right size first. Least its not 35 lbs as it sucks when it lands on you. The main reason I am hesitant to do this is now I work in a bike shop and get free labor and half off parts. So it will cost WAY more to do this later if thats what I'll do anyways. I'm only hesitating changing jobs so I can get my bikes set first.

Last edited:

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
If I get the Stolen and change the cranks, I dont need to change the bb correct? I might get the stolen, upgrade the wheels and make it a 25x9 gearing to start. If I did a full custom with the Eastern, comes out to $900 - $1000. Its doable but seems like you are saying it wont be worth it.

JayBear

Monkey
wow.. This thread is hurting my brain..Lots of decisions.. Since you work in a bike shop and can get free labor and cheaper parts.Building a bike is an option, if thats the route you want to go.. I understand your a small female, But I dont think you should get all hung up on a couple of pounds..If riding jumps and park is what your about, theres no need to get all weight weenie..Speed plus good lips will send you and the bike as high as you want to go.. You wont be throwing tail whip threes for a while so anything around 25 lbs is acceptable.. Spend as much money as you want BUT remember there is a learning curve and your going to Bang up your bike while your learning.... Ive beat some bikes up stepping up to the bigger sets..Forks, Bars, rims.. Bikes change fast..If you like BMX this wont be your last bike..

Just my opinion..Have fun..Ride hard..

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I can do a box jump lol. OK will just get the stolen. I dont think the bb will last as its not even sealed lol. But I'll wait until it starts to go.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I should get my Stolen on Friday! I rode the racing bmx bikes again. They accelerate a lot faster but maybe cause the tt is longer, doesnt pull up as easily or feel as good in the air jumping off curbs as the Haro Z1 did. I like the regular geometry better. So 2 more days!!!! Rode my 24 and I do feel a ton better on a tight cockpit. I just hope it rides as well as the entry level Haro Z1 I like.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I got the bike. Its not a very good quality bike. I'm kinda wishing I got the rec. Haro honestly as at least the brake was on the seat stay so I could put decent wheels on it with a driver. I'm going to have to change the bb and cranks on this one anyway as the cranks/bb suck. It lands OK. The grips are good. The frame is OK but also only takes standard headset, bb is unsealed and it pedals poorly. My haro is much nicer. The cranks are too short for me so I must change these as it feels awkward on 170 cranks with my longer legs. Hopefully the new cranks and sealed bb will make it pedal good. Good part is it fits me otherwise perfectly. I wish I spent the money now and got the Eastern as eventually now I'll spend a lot more. This is a down step quality wise from my Haro. The race 24 I didnt have to change much besides the pedals and grips and it rode fine. But I'll ride it and upgrade it but if I get a good frame it will take different parts. I'll see how it jumps in a few days. Hopefully that will go much better.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I got the bike. Its not a very good quality bike. I'm kinda wishing I got the rec. Haro honestly as at least the brake was on the seat stay so I could put decent wheels on it with a driver. I'm going to have to change the bb and cranks on this one anyway as the cranks/bb suck. It lands OK. The grips are good. The frame is OK but also only takes standard headset, bb is unsealed and it pedals poorly. My haro is much nicer. The cranks are too short for me so I must change these as it feels awkward on 170 cranks with my longer legs. Hopefully the new cranks and sealed bb will make it pedal good. Good part is it fits me otherwise perfectly. I wish I spent the money now and got the Eastern as eventually now I'll spend a lot more. This is a down step quality wise from my Haro. The race 24 I didnt have to change much besides the pedals and grips and it rode fine. But I'll ride it and upgrade it but if I get a good frame it will take different parts. I'll see how it jumps in a few days. Hopefully that will go much better.

if your bike "pedals poorly" the problem is more likely that the bottom bracket was installed incorrectly, bearings aren't greased, chain isn't lubed, or front sprocket and rear cog are out of alignment. it is not because you "need" to upgrade to sealed bb. that is perfectionist-newb nonsense.

how 170mm cranks feel awkwardly short for a 5' tall person is beyond me. i think you are imagining things or just don't have enough experience riding bmx bikes to know the difference. how do you think 6'6" chris doyle feels with his legs riding 180mm cranks? that must be really awkward for him.

there is nothing wrong with a 36t sprocket, and you CAN upgrade your rear hub and still run a 13t. 36-13 was the favorite gear ratio for a number of years of bmx--every pro ran it. kind of mystifying why that's not good enough for you.

also nothing wrong with a standard A-headset. integrated/internal headsets only came in bmx a few years ago. i don't think you can feel ANY performance difference.

seriously i'm not trying to be a jerk. but if you're going to stick around in bmx, you gotta stop complaining. your bike is fine, just ride it !!!!!!!!! i have seen plenty of guys build up sweet bikes and talk talk talk about them, barely ride, then quit 6 months later.