Quantcast

Body Armor sizing...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ok, Im in the market to purchase some new body armor, but Im having difficulty deciding what size I need.

I copied this from the Rockgardn site:
* Small: typically people under 5'8", 155 lbs or under, around a 29-31" waist, 36-39" chest.
* Medium: 5'8"-6' tall, 160-175 lbs, 32-33" waist, 40-42" chest
* Large: 5'8"-6'4" tall, 170-200 lbs, 34-36" waist, 42-44" chest
* XL: 5'10"-6'4" tall, 190-215 lbs, 35-38" waist, 44-46" chest
* XXL: 5'8"-6'-6" tall. 215-235 lbs, 38"+ waist, 46-48" chest
* XXXL: 5"8-6'6" tall. 235-255 lbs, 38"+ waist, 48-50" chest

Ok, Im about 5'10 and I weigh close to 190 right now, however, my waist is only 32 inches...so which size should I get. Is waist size or chest size more important here?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'd get the medium. I have one, I'm 5'11", 165-170 with a 39-40" chest and a 29" waist. The jacket is *almost* too big in the shoulders even when fully cinched down, and there's plenty of adjustment strap to make it bigger. But I like this stuff tight...if you like it looser for some reason, maybe the large...?

MD

Edit: PS, I'd consider your chest size more important than the waist. The waist belt is pretty adjustable, and you could easily have more velcro sewn on or the waist straps taken in.

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
I absolutely HATE body armor. Its one of those things that never works/stays on/feels (atleast for me) good but you have to have it. I tried a large 2004 pressure suit...too big, and the thing was pretty junky. The rock gardn stuff has bigger velcro straps and a wider spine protector. I was going to get one, but I ran out of money:(

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by KleinMp99
I absolutely HATE body armor. Its one of those things that never works/stays on/feels (atleast for me) good but you have to have it.
my old V-Tops fit like a glove; it had the proper shape and adjustments to make it work right, but it didnt use hard-shell padding, but i think it works just as well; i dont ever remember having an upper-body bobo. Also they had short and long sizing, so the medium-long was perfect for a tall-slim guy like myself.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by MikeD
I'd get the medium. I have one, I'm 5'11", 165-170 with a 39-40" chest and a 29" waist. The jacket is *almost* too big in the shoulders even when fully cinched down, and there's plenty of adjustment strap to make it bigger. But I like this stuff tight...if you like it looser for some reason, maybe the large...?

MD

Edit: PS, I'd consider your chest size more important than the waist. The waist belt is pretty adjustable, and you could easily have more velcro sewn on or the waist straps taken in.
Ya skinny f*cker:D ...I agree with the chest size thing too. Shirley, any reason you can't go to a shop and try some on? Even if you don't try on the same armour that you wanna buy at least it might give you some terms of reference.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by valve bouncer
Ya skinny f*cker:D ...I agree with the chest size thing too. Shirley, any reason you can't go to a shop and try some on? Even if you don't try on the same armour that you wanna buy at least it might give you some terms of reference.
There's one shop here that carries some Dainese stuff, and all they had was small size anyway. Im going to call the Rockgardn guy and see what he says. Will be tough to abandon my reputation as the guy who always races in a tshirt.:p

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Will be tough to abandon my reputation as the guy who always races in a tshirt.:p
The first time you rag-doll wearin' your armour you'll think to yourself "that was a pretty stupid reputation to have".;) It's a good investment Shirley especially whan you're an old bastard like me, we don't heal as fast as you young turks.