Quantcast

Body Fat %

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
See if your gym does it, most gyms do. Without spending a lot of money for a water weight test, the calipers are probably the best method.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Hehehhe yes Hydrostatic Weighing is probably just about the most accurate way to measure body fat but since that requires lots o $$ and lots o people (usually done in Kineasiology classes at Universities) it is not very practical..

Body Fat Calipers are the most common way to measure fat for most people. The more the expensive the calipers... the more accurate the device BUT you can have the most expensive device and have a very innacurate user... SO I would suggest going to a professional.... a doctor or trainer at your gym.... IT takes doing it about a 100 times to start becoming pretty accurate......

Make sure whoever does it only takes measurements on the right side of your body! That is a rule of thumb. At my gym we do it at 4 sites... bicep, tricep, sub scapular (back) and supra iliac (1 inch above the hip bone). Some places do 7 sites some do 3. THe more sites the more accuracy!

LEmme know how it goes:D

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Originally posted by Heidi
See if your gym does it, most gyms do. Without spending a lot of money for a water weight test, the calipers are probably the best method.
Well, I've read and been told many times that the calipers aren't really accurate. I'm sure JOJO knows a lot more about it than me, so I'm not going to try to give an opinion there.
But, when I was a member of a gym, they had 2 trainers that were the specific people that took fat % measurements...they told me those 2 were the only ones who knew how to do it correctly. Anyhow, it was a pretty simple procedure...some sort of electronic device that was held in front of my heart for a certain period of time. No calipers or anything like that. And they told me the thing, if done correctly, was accurate to within 0.5%.
Well, it was quick and easy, and no taking my shirt off for some hottie at the gym to squeeze the blubber from behind my shoulder!
Just my $0.02 :rolleyes:

MCV-PT

Chimp
Nov 4, 2001
KInda close to SK6
I know none of you have this problem yet:) but.... while I was sitting around doing nothing for 2 months I noticed the triceps area of my arms sagging a bit:mad: I was woundering if that would be a factor in the inaccuracy of using calipers? I know that is one of the areas on the body measured. So be sure to never never let those arms sag, its really scarry.:eek:

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

I'm sure they do.

ssshhhh I don't want them to know how FAT I really am!
Last time I took a caliper test I came in at 12%...after a month in China...I'm probably at 25%. Food's hella greasy...my pop told me to bring him two huge tubs of TUMS from america