"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No they're not. Be real mate. You did half the distance he's asking about

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I give it five years until a ride like that is a single on-board battery affair.
That would be fuckin sick. I enjoy a good back-country death march now and then - would be nice without range anxiety. Alternatively, worst case I could just pedal back like a peasant.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
5x2 is not fucking 8, genius.
FFS! I said DISTANCE!

You "HAULING ASS" were averaging just 1.5mph faster than a guy with no motor doing over twice the distance and almost 3000ft moar elevation. :rofl:

BOOOOOOO fuckin E bikes

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
FFS! I said DISTANCE!

You "HAULING ASS" were averaging just 1.5mph faster than a guy with no motor doing over twice the distance and almost 3000ft moar elevation. :rofl:

BOOOOOOO fuckin E bikes
Vert is more critical than mileage around here, homeboy. Our mountains aren't old and flat like Scotland. :D
1/2 the distance, but 2/3 of the vert.
And all of it on greasy technical singletrack, which keeps average speeds down.
It is cute how you even argue with people that agree with you.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Pretty much every 20 mile mtb ride in the flat old hills round these parts would result in at least 5k elevation.

I'm clearly no match for your Geographical AND Arithmetical genius

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Sure, with a battery drop. Easy peasy. My buddy’s Giant can do 7K vert.
(And they make packs that carry extra batteries).
We did 5k vert in 3 hours last week on just a 720w battery.
And then you can go do it again the next day (and the next) with basically no fatigue.
If you only have three days somewhere on vacation, you can experience like 5 times the terrain, downhills, climbs, etc.
And, for a select few of you, YOU CAN EASILY DO IT HUNGOVER. :p
Or while drinking too, I guess….
Or with a 30bpm heart rate, and you won’t get heat/sunstroke…. :cheers:
with a light ebike it could be possible. with the rise i did some 2000m vertical days with the range extender (612wh). new rise with 540wh and range extender should be good for over 3000m vertical

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
But to me the idea of carrying a 3.5kg battery even for a short distance is horrendous. Nevermind 5 hours.
this is completely irrelevant to ebike discussion, but I used to do this in the days of home made night riding. We (my buddy) rigged up some lights with copper pipes, halogen bulbs, and SLA home alarm batteries. Those batteries were HEAVY... Easily over 2 kilos...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. I've also been mtb nightriding since the early 90s when the only real option was diphoric lamps and nicads were considered lightweight. Rode with a few folks back then who'd mounted small stupidly heavy motorcycle batteries to their frames.
Ive no fucking idea what relevance any of this has to carrying an extra 3.5kg battery in a backpack or even onboard an already horrendously heavy electric mountain bike in 2023 either

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah. I've also been mtb nightriding since the early 90s when the only real option was diphoric lamps and nicads were considered lightweight. Rode with a few folks back then who'd mounted small stupidly heavy motorcycle batteries to their frames.
Ive no fucking idea what relevance any of this has to carrying an extra 3.5kg battery in a backpack or even onboard an already horrendously heavy electric mountain bike in 2023 either
during the crusades I used to ride with the oiled loincloths of my kills, lit by the fire within to enact the divine will of the infallible pope

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
So not that I want one, but can moped's cope with rides like mine from today?
View attachment 202630
  • From yesterday's ride - 13.23 mi, 1:50:02, 2,805 ft
  • 650' of that was full off the bike hike-a-biking (lunging a 52lb e-bike uphill on terrain you can barely stand up on sucks)
  • I used 52% of a 720wh battery
  • I'm 185lbs out of the shower, and had it on 4 out of 4 on power output and 3 out of 5 on torque sensitivity (how much torque you need to put in before the motor starts kicking-in)
  • Terrain was a mix of some fireroad climbing, punchy technical single-track climbing (moab-ish) and rock garden descents

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You expect anyone other than you to make sense of all that? :blink:

Just how autistic do you think we are here?

the answer is still just NO

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
  • From yesterday's ride - 13.23 mi, 1:50:02, 2,805 ft
  • 650' of that was full off the bike hike-a-biking (lunging a 52lb e-bike uphill on terrain you can barely stand up on sucks)
  • I used 52% of a 720wh battery
  • I'm 185lbs out of the shower, and had it on 4 out of 4 on power output and 3 out of 5 on torque sensitivity (how much torque you need to put in before the motor starts kicking-in)
  • Terrain was a mix of some fireroad climbing, punchy technical single-track climbing (moab-ish) and rock garden descents
cool

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Excuse the mumbling and miserable, unintelligible (don't worry. It's dull as fuck anyway) chat but here's Mark Scott out for a wee ride on just one of those old flattened (local) scottish hills mentioned earlier.
Article: https://m.pinkbike.com/news/video-mark-scott-suffers-in-a-a-full-round-of-golf.html
No do doubt some deluded cunt will be along to say this could also be done on an Ebike while carrying MOAR battery, pushing, carrying and all sorts of additional stupid AF compromises to enjoyment

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Excuse the mumbling and miserable, unintelligible (don't worry. It's dull as fuck anyway) chat but here's Mark Scott out for a wee ride on just one of those old flattened (local) scottish hills mentioned earlier.
Article: https://m.pinkbike.com/news/video-mark-scott-suffers-in-a-a-full-round-of-golf.html
No do doubt some deluded cunt will be along to say this could also be done on an Ebike while carrying MOAR battery, pushing, carrying and all sorts of additional stupid AF compromises to enjoyment
Almost an 'Everest'... all that work to come up +/- 700m short?! what a quitter.

just kidding, good on him. Is he still a pro? I've been wondering what happened to him, as I haven't seen much of him .

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
moar batteries are moar fun than less or no batteries
. MARIK kinda is a battery... MOAR rechargeable rampant rabbit than D cell Duracell bunny

also, wtf is wrong with scottish bike shops? than one is filthy af
Haha... Steve is a legend... If you think that's filthy you'd probably have had a stroke (no. Not that kind) if you'd ever been in one of his previous shops. Where many a dead DH bike was put to rest.
Not all good tho he's the dude who kinda invented what Enduro racing became. Way before Chris Ball stole all his ideas. (and trails)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Almost an 'Everest'... all that work to come up +/- 700m short?! what a quitter.
Yeah. Fairly sure he'd have no issues everesting anywhere normal folk do it. The descending (even if uplifted was possible) would do most normal mtber in by half way.
A bunch of college kids (mtb course) everested the same hill but just doing laps of one trail. Probably the most flowy descent there with a fireriad climb.
3 of the trails Mark rode are accessed by a push-up track most folk cant climb.

Good on him. Is he still a pro? I've been wondering what happened to him, as I haven't seen much of him .
Injuries and gravel. Yeah. I hear he's still living the dream being paid to ride bicycles and living down that way. Last time I spoke to him other than just a passing "hello" was years back when he was living at his dad's (a Mile or so from me) and I randomly bumped into him while out on my roadbike. He was a top 10 EWSer and had just got his first roadbike from SantaCruz (Stigmata but with carbon roadwheels if yer interested) he was just out for a recovery ride so we tagged along together and I showed him one of my local short loops at the time. Seems he liked it!