Quantcast

"Borrowing" Pictures

How do you feel About some else using your Pictures ?

• Doesn't Bother me , they can Use them all they like .

Votes: 34 50.0%
  • Its OK as long as they Give me credit for it

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • This Annoys me , I really Don't appreciatee it

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • This pisses me off to No end , get out the Laywers !

Votes: 7 10.3%

• Total voters

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
I think if you post it without watermarking some how it then it's your own fault.
hell no its not!!!!it is still your property....

however i have had this happen when someone posted some o0f my pics on the matchvideozine site and didnt give me any credit for them.the only thing that really annoyed me about it is that it is a commercial site. still even now after contacting lutze there is still no credit for them o nthe site..it annoys me pretty bad.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Since I suck as a photographer and most of my pictures suck, I am thrilled when someone likes one of my pictures enough to want to use it somewhere else. I don't need the credit for it...I'm just happy to see someone else enjoy it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I would prefer it if they gave me credit, but I know how the interweb works, so I don't get all that worked up about it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
x2..........its on the internet so its free for the taking if you dont mark it
er, no...that's not true. copyright is inferred @ shutter release.

watermarks are ugly, and i don't use them.

if someone grabbed some photos from my site and used them, i'd like to know about it and be credited.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Depends what it is and how they post it.

Like that pic of the truck in the snow that I posted - I didn't take it. I don't think I stated that anywhere nor did I say I took it. Now, my buddy had emailed it to me so I could put it up in a pinkbike trail day thread to give the locals an idea of what the snow was like up there, but I wouldnt care if he or anybody posted a similar pic that I had taken even without my consent.

If they stated - "I took this pic", I'd probably make it public that I, in fact, had taken the pic. I dont believe simply posting a pic in a forum implies that the poster is taking ownership of the image.

I'm sure BAH and Transcend and the some other photo monkeys have a different opinion, though.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
"credit" = who cares.

I'd be honered that they thought my pics were good enough to post somewhere else, or share with others.
i think it also depends on what you are trying to do with your photos...you just stopping on a ride and shooting or are you preparing, travelling, setting up...hangin out in the heat and dust all day to take and possibly make a profit then sitting in front of the comp for another few hours to sort, reject, select and fine tune the shots you take......

if i were just poppin some pics off on a sunday ride it would be one thing...but i am not....

Aug 31, 2006
I've googled and found my stuff in places I'd never been too. Kinda cool.

As for credit or legal protection, you can't post something in the public domain without disclaimers or outright copyright info and expect it to be protected.

That's why there's the patent office.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I'm sure BAH and Transcend and the some other photo monkeys have a different opinion, though.
I'm guessing the more serious and professional photogs here care a lot more about this than the everyday Joe like myself who likes to takes pictures but by no means is a "photographer."

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
I've googled and found my stuff in places I'd never been too. Kinda cool.

As for credit or legal protection, you can't post something in the public domain without disclaimers or outright copyright info and expect it to be protected.

That's why there's the patent office.
uhhh patenting photos?just curious what you mean by that....

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
I would prolly cut off their extremities with a dull pocket knife. Then drag them 15 miles on the back of a car. I would allow it if they credited me with the work, then others would contact me. :biggrin:

As soon as you press that shutter button, that picture is yours. This is the law. I have a friend who left a CF card at the track, and another photographer found it AND used the photos in a mag. He took him to court, got the photos, the money for the pictures that the mag. gave the other guy, and a bunch of cash.

It's just lame, period.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
i think it also depends on what you are trying to do with your photos...you just stopping on a ride and shooting or are you preparing, travelling, setting up...hangin out in the heat and dust all day to take and possibly make a profit then sitting in front of the comp for another few hours to sort, reject, select and fine tune the shots you take......

if i were just poppin some pics off on a sunday ride it would be one thing...but i am not....
1) its not like you post the full res version here, and if you are doing all that work just to post the pic reduced way down here, then I think you are wasting you time being all fancy dancy

2) if you need credit just water mark it

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I'm guessing the more serious and professional photogs here care a lot more about this than the everyday Joe like myself who likes to takes pictures but by no means is a "photographer."
For sure. If either side uses the image for any commercial stuff then permission to use the photo as well as providing credit is absolutely necessary.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
1) its not like you post the full res version here, and if you are doing all that work just to post the pic reduced way down here, then I think you are wasting you time being all fancy dancy

2) if you need credit just water mark it
i am not doing that work just to post here....and i do post the low res here...it does bother me however that they were used without credit on a commercial site.

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut
i am not doing that work just to post here....and i do post the low res here...it does bother me however that they were used without credit on a commercial site.
I think being used on a commerical site without credit is DEFINITELY wrong. But I think sharing a link to someone's photos that you think are awesome...is a compliment given. :brows: :cupidarrow:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
so did you give the person credit that "created" your avitar?

shizzam!

i really could care less if someone used my photographs, i still think "imitation is the highest form of flattery" when it comes to taking pictures. however, i am by no means a photographer, and if i was, i am sure i would feel different.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i know what you mean but its still the samething.....if its on the net then its fair game unless you mark it or, make it were someone cant right click, copy..........its just the truth.........
the truth however does not make it legal.......

if i posted a bunch of stuff on a google image thing then i really wouldnt care about it...thats a little different......however the people on this website that make money off of their photos are pretty well known to the other members therefore the photographer should at least get credit and a pm asking permission...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
the truth however does not make it legal.......

however the people on this website that make money off of their photos are pretty well known to the other members therefore the photographer should at least get credit and a pm asking permission...
But why would anybody in their right mind post something on a free website that they planned on getting payed for later??? If you had a picture published in a mag and then posted it to share I would understand, but not vice versa. Just seems dumb to me, legality aside.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
But why would anybody in their right mind post something on a free website that they planned on getting payed for later??? If you had a picture published in a mag and then posted it to share I would understand, but not vice versa. Just seems dumb to me, legality aside.
cause theys aint too brite

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i can't speak for biggins, but i put my stuff up on my site to help spread awareness of my work to prospective 'clients' (for lack of a better word - i'm not getting paid for stuff, but i like getting free access to shows); if someone wants to raid my site (high res/low res be damned...all you need is 72 ppi for screen, and purposely making it look pixelated or junk defeats the purpose of posting yr work - same goes w/ any sort of watermark; if it's discreet and to an edge, cropping it out is a no-brainer, and splattered across the front image totally destroys yr picture) and grab stuff for their site w/o credit to me, that's low-handed imo. again, i'm not looking for royalties.

and jschall, you never know what you may or may not get paid for, esp when you are taking the photo...that's the whole idea behind stock photography.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Copyright is inferred when you take the photo. It is YOUR photo. You can easily seek restitution in court if the photo is used for editorial or commercial use. (ie: commercial site in the design or with an article etc.) You wouldn't get a penny because someone used it in a forum.

That said, it's the internet. I won't post anything at high rez or without a watermark for the most part, unless it's like a crappy snapshot of my messy desk or something. You have to be aware that it WILL be used/linked to etc somewhere else.

With a watermark, people usually come back to my site for more, and ads get displayed. They enjoy photos, i make money. Win Win.

Moral of the story: if you don't watermark the photo itself on the internet, it's your own damned fault. It's a WHOLE different story if the photo gets used in print however. That is where the break out the lawyers and the really big invoices comes into play.

edit: To be honest, not many people make money off of selling photos for the web. You will get AT MOST $100 or so for a year's usage from a web shot (in most cases), so it isn't a huge deal. I make 10x that off of a single photos for print, which is where i really control rights. I am pretty liberal with handing out online usage rights.

If you don't ask however, and my image appears on your site as a news update, or as part of the design; expect an invoice for a MINIMUM of $350 (due 7 days from receipt) as well as a call from myself. If that doesn't take, you'll be getting a call from my lawyer. (Yes, I actually had to find a decent lawyer for this lately).

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
er, no...that's not true. copyright is inferred @ shutter release.

watermarks are ugly, and i don't use them.

if someone grabbed some photos from my site and used them, i'd like to know about it and be credited.
Isn't that the point of a watermark? Be ugly or at least highly visible. If you want the unwatermared version then you go get the rights to the photo.

Realizing that it is a virtually lawless internet or that lots of folks are just ignorant of copyright and ownership, a photographer should take steps to ensure his work is properly credited if that's important to him.

edit: DAMMIT transcend beat me to it.....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Isn't that the point of a watermark? Be ugly or at least highly visible. If you want the unwatermared version then you go get the rights to the photo.

Realizing that it is a virtually lawless internet or that lots of folks are just ignorant of copyright and ownership, a photographer should take steps to ensure his work is properly credited if that's important to him.

edit: DAMMIT transcend beat me to it.....
<ralph voice> HA HA</ralph voice>

Most photographers are pretty clueless about rights management, so I am not sure why someone should thing joe public would know any better. When i started to get back into working as a PJ, i read up on things to the point of considering myself pretty damn adept at both US and CND IP law (for as much as it pertains to me).

ie: If i decide to sue someone for illegal usage, i will copyright my photos officially with the copyright burea by sending them a cd with said images on it within 30 days of noticing the infraction. Then I will not only get 3x my invoice rate, but i will also get potential damages, court costs and any other fee i can think of tacking on.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
ok well since i am so stupid i will just stop posting photos on here then ......problem solved.
Nobody said don't post photos. Just don't get too bent out of shape or too surprised it they pop up somewhere unexpected and uncredited. I'm sure you take lots of pictures. Save the really good ones and post the seconds and nobody will be the wiser.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Nobody said don't post photos. Just don't get too bent out of shape or too surprised it they pop up somewhere unexpected and uncredited. I'm sure you take lots of pictures. Save the really good ones and post the seconds and nobody will be the wiser.
I dont agree with this. I mean, I do it to flesh out a gallery and such sometimes, but i don't ever like posting seconds anywhere. i want people to see my very best, not my oops, woulda been great if i hadn't chopped off half of his head shots.

The MTB industry isn't as fickle as most other industries, in that they don't complain too much if yo use the photo in a forum or a prsonal gallery before they buy it to use.

I'm sure Todd can chime in on this and be a bit more accurate, but no one has ever complained to me about it. The snowboard industry (for some reason) is completely the opposite. They will freak the hell out and not use a photo for these reasons.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well thats the thing that makes it a catch 22 for people trying to make a go at it...someone isnt going to look on here at crappy pictures and Pm me asking if i can do some work for them...they are going to think "wow that guy takes crappy pictures" and yes i have landed 2 seperate jobs from Ridemonkey.com

so why is it that the people that are doing the posting are the ones that are not so bright instead of it being the people illegally using them? i dont go to sites and illegally download music and movies.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
I dont agree with this. I mean, I do it to flesh out a gallery and such sometimes, but i don't ever like posting seconds anywhere. i want people to see my very best, not my oops, woulda been great if i hadn't chopped off half of his head shots.

absolutely 100% right on. my shizz doesnt come close to yours but i have to agree.......

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
x2..........its on the internet so its free for the taking if you dont mark it
The US copyright office says you are wrong. All images appearing anywhere are protected by law, even without a watermark/credit line/or copyright symbol. Illeagal use can result in a lawsuit, I have filed several this year and they never end well for the defendet. If somebody downloads my shots and uses tham for a background that's fine, but when they start appearing on websites, not credited I get pissed, eben when they give me credit, uless thay have contacted me and reached a deal, my lawer will contact them, and force a deal. I make a living off of pictures, so image theft pisses me off alot.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
what if you take a pic of me, post it here, then I post it in a thread on a differenet website...will I be getting a call from your lawyers?