Quantcast

Boston?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Are you a climber, or are you just kinda thinking about trying it out?
i've done some bouldering with my friends who climb all the time, but i was borrowing their gear. lately i've just been too broke and busy to get my own gear and start climbing more frequently.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
i've done some bouldering with my friends who climb all the time, but i was borrowing their gear. lately i've just been too broke and busy to get my own gear and start climbing more frequently.
To boulder, you could get by with just a pair of shoes. It's when you want to start using ropes that the cost really starts to go up. If you want to climb with us sometime, we'd be more than willing to go.

Edit: Although I don't have a lot of extra gear. I can share chalk, and maybe a harness, and I can set up ropes for climbs, or share my crash pad.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Well if you come out and have me give you a tour of Vietnam I will take you to the far corner that has college rock , lots of rock climbers go there . not just bouldering , it requires ropes
That would be cool. Hey, maybe I can rig some ropes up sometime and get you climbing in return for a tour of 'Nam.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Splat.... your wife and I could probably swap my harness... and maybe even shoes (I wear socks)

Maybe REI rents harnesses? Just thinking about your kids (plural, right?). We'll figure something out.

Anyway... that would be fun.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Can you guys give me any websites to look for rental properties, etc? I'm trying to get an accurate cost of living estimate. I guess I'm looking north of Boston proper, (Woburn, Wilmington, Billerica, Tewksbury and the lot) These locations would put me within my magic 10 mile radius for bike commuting.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
er, craigslist?

i haven't looked at the rental market in about 15 years. i'll see if i can get some of those free real estate listing mags when i am around town.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Can you guys give me any websites to look for rental properties, etc? I'm trying to get an accurate cost of living estimate. I guess I'm looking north of Boston proper, (Woburn, Wilmington, Billerica, Tewksbury and the lot) These locations would put me within my magic 10 mile radius for bike commuting.
Bostonapartments.com

Pick a town - such as Woburn - from the dropdown list and click on "search". Scroll down on the page it takes you to. You should be prepared to pay $1200-$1500 a month for a decent 2 bedroom in a good neigborhood. Most of the sub $1,000 places have something detrimental about them whether it's the location, age, or size of the place.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Yeah, but what you'll find here is the $12-1500 is for a 1-2 bedroom, 1 bath, 3rd floor walk-up with no parking or street parking that you'll have to buy a permit for.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Bostonapartments.com

Pick a town - such as Woburn - from the dropdown list and click on "search". Scroll down on the page it takes you to. You should be prepared to pay $1200-$1500 a month for a decent 2 bedroom in a good neigborhood. Most of the sub $1,000 places have something detrimental about them whether it's the location, age, or size of the place.
We also used that website. IIRC, you also have to pay a one time finder's fee to a real estate agent for some of the properties on there. I believe the fees were usually 1/2 month's rent.

Both that and Craig's list were great resources.

You've got a place to crash in Waltham if you need one. Just send either me or MudGrrl a pm. (I just started my new job today, so she'll be more responsive.)

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Yeah, but what you'll find here is the $12-1500 is for a 1-2 bedroom, 1 bath, 3rd floor walk-up with no parking or street parking that you'll have to buy a permit for.
We actually found some decent places that were 2 bedroom and had parking in that price range. Southern Woburn had some places that were pretty decent and not too pricey.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
not to interrupt the rock climbing discussion but I am hoping to go to college in Boston next year and was wondering what the riding scene was like downtown. I heard rumors from a friend of djs near fenway. Also isnt evil located there? Seems like there would be a solid urban scene.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
you mean street riding? check w/ the locals on the bustespoke forums. there are dirt jumps near fenway (west a bit, near the train stop).

evil is, i think located on the vineyard now (at least that's where dw lives).

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
For indoor climbing you need to check out:

www.carabiners.com - located in beautiful New Bedford. 75 foot roofs, lead climbs, bouldering, a pro shop etc. Maybe an hour drive from Boston but well worth it Also pick up a copy of the book Boston Rocks it gives locations and route info for pretty much every climbing area around Boston...

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
For indoor climbing you need to check out:

www.carabiners.com - located in beautiful New Bedford. 75 foot roofs, lead climbs, bouldering, a pro shop etc. Maybe an hour drive from Boston but well worth it Also pick up a copy of the book Boston Rocks it gives locations and route info for pretty much every climbing area around Boston...
I've actually already looked at Carabiners online. It looks way cool. I do want to hop down there sometime, but it's a little far for an afterwork workout.

Also, MudGrrl gave me Boston Rocks for the winter solstice gift giving extravaganza. We used it to go climbing at Hammond Pond on Dec. 24, and if the weather stays warm we might be using it again this weekend.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
We used it to go climbing at Hammond Pond on Dec. 24, and if the weather stays warm we might be using it again this weekend.
i'm going to see if one of my friends wants to go bouldering up at pawtuckaway if the weather is good sometime this weekend. the climbing there is great and if we go you guys are more than welcome to come.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
i'm going to see if one of my friends wants to go bouldering up at pawtuckaway if the weather is good sometime this weekend. the climbing there is great and if we go you guys are more than welcome to come.
Sweet, thanks. Although, I hear that it is supposed to rain all day tomorrow and into Saturday morning. The last forecast I saw had it raining until about noon on Saturday.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Well, now the interview is back on for next week. Color me surprised. I thought they'd changed their minds. I'm still going to Viet Nam though...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Strange.

I just had my interview and the guy was actually in Mananas VA, not Boston. They wanted to hire me part time as a contract employee to do basically what I am already doing, which is cool. It would all be done via telecommute so I wouldn't actually have to move anywhere if I didn't want to. I just have to figure out what I am worth, discuss the situation with my current boss to see if she's interested in me splitting my time, then tell this company what I expect to get paid and see if they bite. Sounds complicated.

Oh well, the short of it is I guess I won't be moving to Boston anytime soon.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Strange.

I just had my interview and the guy was actually in Mananas VA, not Boston. They wanted to hire me part time as a contract employee to do basically what I am already doing, which is cool. It would all be done via telecommute so I wouldn't actually have to move anywhere if I didn't want to. I just have to figure out what I am worth, discuss the situation with my current boss to see if she's interested in me splitting my time, then tell this company what I expect to get paid and see if they bite. Sounds complicated.

Oh well, the short of it is I guess I won't be moving to Boston anytime soon.
We would have loved to have you up here, but good for you anyway. I hope it works out for you and you make some bank off this.

Squirreldh

Chimp
Dec 21, 2006
Good morning everyone. I'm glad to see so many people excited about the boston area. I grew up in Ipswich, but moved out to colorado when I was 19. I am in new Orleans now, since Katrina, and I'm planning on moving back up to MA this month. I am a Bike Mechanic, have been for almost ten years now, and I will be starting a new life at Bicycle Alley in worcester. i rode Lynn woods back in the late 90's, and I loved it. I have heard good things about Vietnam, though never got the chance to ride there. If anyone wants to come out and give me a tour of the place, I would greatly appreciate it, and there is a round on me at the bar afterwords. Also let me know if my wrenching services would be useful to anyone, i specialize in fork overhauls, rear suspension and disc service. See y'all soon and keep the rubber side down!