Quantcast

Bottom bracket clicking

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
whenever i pedal out of the saddle or even hard in the saddle, my bb, or something around there, makes a clicking noise. it only happens as my left foot pushes down though. what should I do?

BTW its on a diamondback xts moto.

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
mine does that occasionally. take the cranks and bb off and re-grease everything. and tighten them back up. also check to see it ur chainring bolts are loose.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
Originally posted by SirChomps-a-Lot
if tightening it doesn't fix it, buy a new one. bbs are disposible.

p.s: tighten the living shi t out of it
how do you tighten your bb? i can tighten my cranks, but they can't be tightened any more...

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by freeridekid
how do you tighten your bb? i can tighten my cranks, but they can't be tightened any more...
well, it sounds like you might want a shop to do it but:

take off crank bolts (requires big 8mm allen wrench)

take off cranks (requires crank puller. make sure all washers are out of the crankbolt area)

tighten bb on both sides ( requires correct bb tool and big-honkin-crescent wrench)

put cranks back on with crank bolts and 8mm. assuming you have isis, tighten as much as you possibly can.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Check your pedals, OEM pedals are ****, the bearings bust and click, and it could sound like it comes from the BB area. My truvativ pedals do this, which makes me even more mad, since they were pricy :mad:

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
what??? bb's are diposable??? man sounds like your pay checks are alot fatter then mine. 60 bucks a pop is not didposable for me if i threw out a bb every time it creaked i would be threw 10 a season! 600 bucks with noithing to show for it no thanks. but... to each his(her;) ) own.:D

bb cracking is no big deal nothing is being damaged if thats your consern personaly i'm suprised you can hear it when you on the trail normaly other stuff is being too loud.

but... if you want to be real anal and solve the creeking (try not to bring it to a shop they'll hate ya, they have to test ride it a million time and still might not be sure if its the same creek you heard:p )

step one:
pull off you pedals and re-grease the threads. or also try other pedals to see if its in the pedal.
stap 2:
pull off you ring(s) and clean bolts and waht the bolt touchs or the whole damn thing while its off.
step 3:
pull off you cranks and clean splines (or taper, god forbid!) grease slpine but never grease square tapers
step 4:
remove bb, and clean the threads (this is probibly where the creak is comming from if the sound sorta resonated through out the frame) CLEAN THE THREADS!!! are they clean? do the same to the bb, make sure there is no sand or crud (i love that word) in there. and you guessed it grease it, the threads of the bb cartrage and the bb shell!

Ti prep might also work better, its an anti sease (sp?) and stops cold welding.

or you can be like me and just make sure everything is tight to spec and nothing is loose. creaks are common place for me atleast.

good luck with that damn creak. i've given up on them!

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Sounds like it could be just a loose pedal on the same side you push on to hear that sound, Just had the same happen to me last night after I had just finished building up my bike and took it for a spin.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
It was the pedals. It's weird cuz I bent my axle on my pedals last time, which is the only other problem i've had with my bike (other than stripping the fork bolts). Fortunately, my shop owes me free service for a year so they just gave me some new pedals that were equivalent to what came on the bike for free. The first time i messed my pedals up they gave me some new Sinz, but this time i just got some cheap diamondback ones. They're free though, so i guess i can't complain. I'm gonna get some nice ones once these ones go bad.