Quantcast

Bottom bracket cOnFuSiOn on a kona stinky delux

boxierrric

Chimp
Oct 23, 2012
My bottom bracket is starting to playing up:mad:very annoyed. This is my first time with b/b so no hate please. I've got a kona stinky deluxe 2007 with raceface x-type ride dh crank set and b/b. I'm thinking about getting this bottom bracket - raceface team x-type dh b/b. So my question is will that fit - i haven't measured the frame yet. It would be very useful if you could tell me what tools to get - finding it hard to get a puller cap. My dad isn't too keen on spending lots of money on my bike so cheap prices please. Not so much it affects quality. And also i would like to know if i can fix it by without getting a new one.

Thanks for any help.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the nice the about external BB's is that the frame BB shell width is largely irrelevant. the only difference between the 3 sizes in the link you listed is the plastic spacer that sits between the cups (and is something that many people don't actually install). the diameter and threading on each is exactly the same, so no worries there. i would still recommend getting the appropriate size BB though in case you do choose to include that plastic spacer.

and what do you mean "puller cap"?

also, these BB's require a special wrench (if you don't already have one).

boxierrric

Chimp
Oct 23, 2012
Thank you, i don't get how you have time to reply to every thread. Respect to you. and by puller cap i mean crank removal tool. and i don't have that special wrench but i found out that both bbs use the same wrench so no problem with that.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Thank you, i don't get how you have time to reply to every thread. Respect to you. and by puller cap i mean crank removal tool. and i don't have that special wrench but i found out that both bbs use the same wrench so no problem with that.
i think the Ride DH cranks require a crank puller tool instead of using a self extracting setup

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
thats not a instruction manual for the Ride DH cranks like you said you had.
there should be a 10mm nut threaded into the crank and a 8mm bolt inside of that. use the 8mm wrench and turn it counter clockwise to take the crank off. make sure theres grease on the splines when you reinstall.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i cant believe no one has posted the BB tool! pretty much need one of these if you need to get your BB out!

you need this to mesh with the splines on the BB. one side is reverse threaded, usually they tell you what side, so pay attention! i never remember cause im usually drinking when im working on my bike. :D

oh and your link didnt work on the first post, so i googled race face x type bb, i hope i saw the same kind that youre talking about.

Last edited:

boxierrric

Chimp
Oct 23, 2012
AWNSER

I went to a downhill track and my dad wouldn't let me go up with a broken bb so spent £80 on bb and to get it fitted and he told me that you actually do use a crank puller tool like ih8rice said. to be exact ccp-44 and a External BB Cup Spline Tool ( Park BBT-9 Or Shimano TL-FC32 / TL-FC33.) thanks for the help.