Quantcast

Bottom Bracket Threads = F'd

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Whoever owned this Turner DHR prior to myself must have hamfisted the drive side bottom bracket cup into place. The threads seem to be buggered up pretty good or flattened/missing altogether.

Local shop is going to chase the threads, but there isn't much left in there to work with.

Any suggestions? Just stick a new one in there and hope for the best?

It was a Saint BB in there before, so it has the longer threads. I'm thinking I should replace it with the same, so there is more material to interface with.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Chase it and see what happens. BB threads on my Turner got jacked up removing a BB that had corrosion on the threads. Chased it and it was fine. Strangely my Turner has all kinds of weird corrosion issues.

Anyway if things are loose or creaky after chasing, perhaps some really strong loctite or epoxy and a BB that will outlast the frame like a King.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Loctite has a product you can slather in there and re-thread. Totally appropriate for a BB.
if you feel you arent getting enough bite after you chase it, id go this route too but ive seen worse bb shells that have been chased and still hold the cup in place no problem.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I dropped it off at the shop, we'll see how it turns out.

Also getting the headset removed.....because apparently I've decided to get the frame powder coated again. Goodbye white, hello Navy blue.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In my early days I reverse chased a BB on accident, ended up running the BB reversed and never had a problem over several years. It still threaded in there just fine.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In my early days I reverse chased a BB on accident, ended up running the BB reversed and never had a problem over several years. It still threaded in there just fine.
That is impressive.

The only thing I have ever taken my bike to a shop for was chasing the BB, was not worth buying the tool. I did however go out of my way to take it to the only person I would trust to not ruin my bike, he used to build custom frames as a side business.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
You'd be surprised how little thread engagement you actually need to get the BB to stay in there and remain creak-free. It's a really big, very fine thread, lots of clamping force for what it's trying to accomplish. Back in the day we had a Karpiel come in for a build, big glob of weld in one side of the BB shell, and the other was machined with too large of an ID so the threads were more like texture than actual threads, chased it as best as we could, pushed the BB cup in until I hit a thread, tightened it up, and good to go.

Edit, if it's not too late, wait until after powdercoat to mess with the threads. They usually need chasing after PC anyway, and it'll save you time, money, and a tiny bit of material removed from the threads.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It is too late to wait until after powder coating. :(

But I ride with this shop owner, so I'm sure if I stick a big shop sticker on my bike rack he'll chase it again for free, if needed. They are good peoples at this place. :D

His logos aren't some fruity concoction either, which is nice..

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't understand paying to powdercoat a frame you think has messed up threads without trying to fix the threads first. It's probably ok based on the pic, but the order seems reversed.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't understand paying to powdercoat a frame you think has messed up threads without trying to fix the threads first. It's probably ok based on the pic, but the order seems reversed.
Powder coating is pretty damn cheap. Plus the threads in the BB aren't too bad, they aren't all goobered up. Its either spend $150 to get it painted and look half decent again (white...seriously what was I thinking) or buy a new frame, which aint happenin'.

Perhaps you got the order mixed up, it is in the shop getting fixed first, not painted. :busted: