Quantcast

bought a diamondback outlook.. mods?

tribaltalon

Chimp
Jun 23, 2004
i just bought a 2004 diamondback outlook a couple weeks ago, been messing with it and its a cool bike. I'm thinking i want to just make this thing into an urban assault type bike to mess around on, what do yall think i should get as far as fork? and also, what kind of tires would be good? *sorry, a newbie to biking*

tribaltalon

Chimp
Jun 23, 2004
is this like a really stupid question or something? jeesh. i thought about just trading it in for the next better bike, but i'd rather just upgrade it the way i want, i was thinking about getting a sherman flick fork. good. bad?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Looking at the specs on this bike and the upgrades that I would make to get it urban assualt-ready, you'd be better off getting a different bike. The Outlook is one of DB's entry-level bikes and, as such, is spec'd with pretty low-end parts. The fork that's spec'd, the Suntour SR-M2000, has only 50mm of travel. I'd expect it to ride pretty squirrelly if you jump up to the 130mm Flick.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
two years ago I got a Diamond Back Sorrento, it was a sub $300.00 bike.

the only parts left on it are the frame, bars, seat, seat post, front derailer and shifter.

I broke all the other parts. I then bought a $1600.00 planet x bike. I ended up taking the parts off the planet x and putting them on the DB. It rides better for me. the frame is a shorter frame and it's much easier for me to handle. before I purchased the planet x, I wanted to just upgrade the DB, as you want to.

everybody said, "Don't do it, that frame is crap....". the frame is nice looking, nice welds and made w/ 7005 aluminum. I ignored their advice. thinking, when/if I break the frame, I will replace it.

I still ride that bike. frame is doing fine. sure, when I threw a four inch travel fork on the front end, it made it handle different. but it also raised the bottom bracket up, giving me more ground clearance on the trails.

if your going to ride urban or aggresivly, the parts will be destroyed soon. but go ahead and do it, have fun and replace what breaks when it breaks. (although, YOU may be the one that breaks if your bike fails while jumping down stairs or whatever...)