Quantcast

Bought New Bike (Long Post)

gamoon

Chimp
Feb 11, 2004
Bought a new mountain bike at a local department store didn't like the first one that I purchased so I took it back and traded up to more expensive bike at the same store. I was really impressed with the new bike it even had disc brakes on the front and seem like it was made with quality parts but not well put together by the assemblers. I took the bike to a LBS and was greated by a very knowledgeable tech. I told him why I brought my new bike in and he said it was not uncommon for them to get numerous new bikes from the local department stores that needed to be thoroughly checked and adjusted. The first thing he mentioned was that the bike I purchased was too large for my height, I am 5'7" and had a 19 frame on my bike. The frame size he recommended was 17" also he preceeded to show me some low end bikes that was on sale and recommended that I take a 17" frame Giant Boulder SE out for a ride no strings attached. Rode the bike for 20-30 minutes and needless to say I am the new owner of a Giant. The build and the ride quality of the bike was 100 times better than the bike I purchased from the local department store. I know everyone can't afford to purchase a bike that costs 250-300 bucks or more but if you are lucky to have a LBS that will let you test drive a low end bike you will be impressed!:D

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
Originally posted by gamoon
I know everyone can't afford to purchase a bike that costs 250-300 bucks or more but if you are lucky to have a LBS that will let you test drive a low end bike you will be impressed!:D
doesn't matter what you paid, only how you ride it. and yeah... this $hit is addictive... start saving now... ;)

butthead

Chimp
Dec 17, 2001
Las Cruces, NM
Originally posted by gamoon
I know everyone can't afford to purchase a bike that costs 250-300 bucks or more but if you are lucky to have a LBS that will let you test drive a low end bike you will be impressed!:D
What most people fail to realize is that they can easily spend quite a bit of extra cash on their $150 department store bike. Once parts start breaking, the total cost of the bike could easily exceed $300. The better service and quality of the bike shop will always beat the department store bikes in my opinion.

Zippy357

Chimp
Dec 19, 2003
Mountlake Terrace WA
It Depends on how bad you want to beat on your bike. The harder you ride the more money your goin to have to drop to make it work. Ive spent over 700$ on my bike and still need to upgrade. As for Giants, I have to say they're pretty nice and as long as your not attempting 15' drops you should be fine.

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
My first bike was a total waste of money. Even though it's relatively cheap compared to my current bike now, the cost was $500. It was the GT Aggressor 1.0. If I didn't land 100% perfectly off of say a curb, the rims would be so tweaked. There were a few times when the rear rim was locked because it was taco'd so badly, but easily remedied by pounding on them against the ground.:D

The fork broke when I just did a bunny hop on flat ground, stem broke, derailure was mangled, and bb/cranks went to hell. So basically everything on the bike had to be replaced. The only salvageable component were the tires. So, the moral of the story is...get a bike suited for your needs. Don't get some XC bike for aggressive riding.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
shoot!
My first "real" mountain bike was like $1,500:eek:
before that it was a huffy. I guess i upgraded kinda big huh?

anyway, have fun with the new bike dude!:thumb:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Nice job, Gamoon. You are one of the few who realize that a bike is an investment, not a disposable toy. I was a mechanic for 7 years and encountered your situation many, many times. Wellcome to the monkey.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
i started out with one of those dual suspension mgx costco bikes, and broke the fork like a week later, took it back, got another one, then broke the derailleur on the second, then i went to my LBS, and bought a gt timberline in 1997, broke that in 2003, then i got a spec hardrock pro, and now i have a 04 bighit comp....its how you start out, just keep gettin better bikes as you get better(or break them).......

Big E

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Hell Paso Texas
dude as long as you can stay faithful to your lbs they will always help you out when you need it. and welcome to the wonderful world of good bikes.

Peace

yeah stick with your LBS you'll get great service.

and free stuff sometimes ;) always nice to get your brake pads/tube changed for free.

I was riding department store bikes until I was 17 then I bought a Kona Yee-ha
last year I got my first "real" bike a Brodie Infinity 2003 got it stolen last week :(

but this week I'm starting in mtb/urban and I got a Brodie Holeshot :D might be a bit overkill for a beginner

true enough, thanks for the encouragement.

I got the bike today, and it rides so ****in good :D only one thing, I'm use to ride a roadie and wave through traffic and make very sharp turns.

Well I've learned that you can't do the same on 2.7" tires ;) got my first bike "crash", but I blame the wet streets too :rolleyes:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
there is no such thing as a bike u can't afford im 14 i cant seem to find i job but i wanted a big hit comp and wen u want something like that bad enough u get it and i did

carpe_simius

Chimp
Mar 19, 2004
conyers, ga
hey! themontashu got it right. im 15 and i kept working and saving and just got the specialized hardrock sport. eventually ill save enough to get a big hit or another dh bike so that i can huck to my heart's content. but i believe that if you are proud of what your riding you'll ride it better. so forget it if you riding buddy is riding a marin or orange that cost as much as my first car will and ride your bike.that's what you bought it for right. also stick with the lbs cause their the best.
sorry for the rant.

lee

jay_2004

Chimp
Mar 17, 2004
Newmarket, Ontairo, Canada
Im riding a department store bike as of now...and I am desperately looking for a job to pay for that next bike. Im 15 and I would practically work anywhere untill I can afford something alot better. Untill then, I'll ride the bike to my fullest ability:)

Originally posted by BIGHIT756
i started out with one of those dual suspension mgx costco bikes, and broke the fork like a week later, took it back, got another one, then broke the derailleur on the second, then i went to my LBS, and bought a gt timberline in 1997, broke that in 2003, then i got a spec hardrock pro, and now i have a 04 bighit comp....its how you start out, just keep gettin better bikes as you get better(or break them).......

hahahahah!!!! Same here!!!!!

Now I have a trusty little bruiser, and looking forward to retire my old M1 to get a Le Toy.

Remember the day I wondered, "hmm....why does my MGX handle like a piece of crap".....then I jumped on a GT I-drive, and the proper geometry got sold.