Quantcast

boulder area road rides

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
heya, looking for suggestions for after work rides. I'm coming from I-70 and Peoria (Aurora). Figure I'd jump on 36?

And to get to Golden (Lookout Mt.), would you think I-70 or 6th would be best around 5-6pm?

Will_Jekyll

CUSTOM Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Superior,CO
If you are going to ride in Boulder you have to do flagstaff :devil: Tak 36 into boulder and head west on baseline. You'll run right into it. Coming north on I25 and 36 is going to be a nightmare at rush hour though. Make sure to leave early or late.

Joss DeWaele

Chimp
Jan 30, 2004
The SLC
Honestly, both 36 and 6 will be car-packed and exhaust-heavy.

If you are driving, you might as well head past Boulder toward Lyons on HWY 36, park at the beginning of Left-Hand canyon, and ride up to Jamestown, or better yet, Ward. Both make for beautiful climbs with relatively little traffic. +

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by bikesaregood

If you are driving, you might as well head past Boulder toward Lyons on HWY 36, park at the beginning of Left-Hand canyon, and ride up to Jamestown, or better yet, Ward. Both make for beautiful climbs with relatively little traffic. +
Yeah I second Left Hand canyon. A lot of people park at the bottom of that and ride from there.

Unless you are an advanced rider you will need a triple to ride Flagstaff, and YOU WILL BE PUNISHED! Riding Flagstaff to the top is just plain burly (meaning tough - not Burley Shirley).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

After work? Holy moly that would be alot of driving after work........

Why don't you just getcher mt bike, head out 70 to 58 and do Chimbley Gulch, Apex, Matt/Winter, Dakota Ridge, Green Mt? Of course, I may be biased.......... :D

-S.S.-

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I've done Flagstaff. It's great, but it's only five miles long. *shrugs* well, I should say I've only ridden it to Walker Ranch. I suppose I should check out what's past WR.

Sounds great, thanks!

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
Some ideas...

-Golden Gate Canyon in Golden
-Coal Creek Canyon between Boulder & Golden off 93, it's 12 or so miles up to Wondervu.
-As mentioned before, Flagstaff for a quick ride. Continue passed WR and I beleive there are some serious grades on dirt road. Haven't done that.
-Look Out Mountain in Golden, again a short ride in and of itself. Start somewhere east and make it long er so you can warm up.
-Getting to Left Hand after work is gonna be tough due to traffic. Good ride though, just did that that yesterday, linked the Peak to Peak to Nederland, and down Boulder canyon back to Lafayette...good stuff.
-If you think Flagstaff is tough and liked it, ride Sunshine Canyon...that is a good one! It is, oh, I am drawing a blank, the street in Boulder that the house from Mork and Mindy is on...I can't think of it...ack!.......MAPLETON! yes. Beware the grades after the second mile marker. ;)
-Just stay out of Boulder Canyon

Can't think of any others right off the top of my head. Have fun.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Triphop
Some ideas...

-Golden Gate Canyon in Golden
-Coal Creek Canyon between Boulder & Golden off 93, it's 12 or so miles up to Wondervu.
-As mentioned before, Flagstaff for a quick ride. Continue passed WR and I beleive there are some serious grades on dirt road. Haven't done that.
-Look Out Mountain in Golden, again a short ride in and of itself. Start somewhere east and make it long er so you can warm up.
-Getting to Left Hand after work is gonna be tough due to traffic. Good ride though, just did that that yesterday, linked the Peak to Peak to Nederland, and down Boulder canyon back to Lafayette...good stuff.
-If you think Flagstaff is tough and liked it, ride Sunshine Canyon...that is a good one! It is, oh, I am drawing a blank, the street in Boulder that the house from Mork and Mindy is on...I can't think of it...ack!.......MAPLETON! yes. Beware the grades after the second mile marker. ;)
-Just stay out of Boulder Canyon

Can't think of any others right off the top of my head. Have fun.
That's a great list! And yeah, getting there after work is gonna be a challenge, but I'm definitely coming up your way for the weekends. I'll post when, so roadies can ride.

hahahahaah... I'd love to see the Mork and Mindy house :D

stoner_303

Chimp
Nov 22, 2003
Colorado

personally, i wouldnt want to ride lefthand...too many other riders, including brand new riders with walmart specials walking their bike up. also, most the traffic is nuts....the drivers drive super fast. alot of blind turns too. i also dont like to drive a car up there cuz to many bikers! *ITS ONLY BUSY ON WEEKENDS*
edit: if i liked to were tight, bright colored cloths and strain my whole body riding UP the hill, i wouldn't want ot ride left hand.