Quantcast

Boxxer crown questions....

D

DH40

I helped my friend get a 99 Boxxer thru the Monkey Buy/Sell.
He has not installed it yet and asked me about the different top crowns...it came with a relitively flat crown that seems to work
with his headtube as far as fitting (eyeballing), so what would a drop crown accomplish? Is it a tall headtube that requires a drop crown? I have never needed to drop the upper crown on my bikes.

Thanks

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by DH40
Of course!

Thank you
hold your horses

the drop crown will allow you to run slacker head angles, but that comes with a price, the crowns will be close and there will be greater stress on them and the stanchions, the original idea with the different crowns is to accomodate the different head tube / headset heights. so for a 5" total, flat, for a 6" drop, 7" xtradrop, those are all numbers out of my head but fairly accurate i guess.

The slacker head angle would not produce any more stress in the crown or the stanction. Geometry would manifest more of the present stress as a shear stress on the stanctions as opposed to the Uniaxial loading of the steeper head angle. Basicly, the stress would be the same, but there would be a slight change in direction of the force.