Quantcast

Boxxer questions

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I just got a killer deal on a brand new 2003 team boxxer on eBay.
I am going to do the black box upgrade as soon as possible. I was just wondering how everyone has there forks set up as far as oil weight and spring size. How did you set up the high speed compression damper? I weigh about #220 and dont do any really big drops want to set it up mainly for racing in sport class. Thanks for the help

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I did a search it came up with 38 pages of stuff. Got some good info but still no answers on
1 what size springs people my size are using
2 How do they have the high speed compession set up. I want a good place to start so I dont have to rip down the fork to many times to get it right.

Apr 1, 2002
NY
Originally posted by denjen
I did a search it came up with 38 pages of stuff. Got some good info but still no answers on
1 what size springs people my size are using
2 How do they have the high speed compession set up. I want a good place to start so I dont have to rip down the fork to many times to get it right.
--------all i did was use the stock springs and use all 10wt oil. it was perfect for me, im 230 and sport class.

retrofred

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
canyon country, Ca.
i have my boxxer team set up with one medium and one firm spring. running 5wt in the rebound and 10wt in the comp side. the oil i use is the motorex brand, love it. i have the high speed left stock(feels good to me, never bottomed yet). i have done the black box drilling and have the rebound base going in this weekend. my weight is very close to yours, 225.5lbs. i don't do any real hairy drops, i am a beginner racer tring to make my way to expert.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
For an 03 Boxxer, and someone your size, I'd recommend the stock 2 yellow springs, with 7 weight oil in the compression leg and 5 weight in the rebound leg.

I ran the rebound and compression adjustments fully closed, also. This forces the oil path and the feel of the damping is better.

If you're sagging too much (should be pretty close, at your weight) add a little more preload to the yellows.

The need for the red spring has almost vanished. I'm about your size, and this is what I ran. Worked well, but I like a lot of low speed, hence the 7wt oil in the compression leg.

Hope that helps.

JF

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Im running an 03 WC. Here is my setup:

In my fork i have 1 red, 1 yellow spring with 1 preload on top of each spring. (im 230 before gear on a good day) Im not sure where my adjustements are... there are where they felt good. I didnt keep track. I have not made any internal speed changes. My fork also came with already upgraded internals.

I also just re did my oil for the first time after 4 days on a new fork. I used that motorx stuff because thats what the moto shop had. I was also told Golden spectro is very good to use. I used the standard 5wt rebound, 10wt compression wen i filled my fork. I did increase the oil volume. My fork was at 160mm of air space after compressing without the springs. I was told by a local shop who's experienced with forks that for my weight i should reduce this to 110mm of air. I will find out this weekend how it feels. Initially it feels good.

Anyone have an opinion if my oil height is way off base? Just incase i was given improper info? I didnt have a CC measuring device to know where 190cc puts you.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
So just after writing that i went to look for service guides. The manuals available on the website gives me conflicting info.

in this file (03RSBoxxerOwnersManaul_English.pdf) from the website:

It says to add 165cc of oil or 152mm of space, and not to go above/below this.

But in this file (03_04BoxxerServiceGuide.pdf) also from their website i get a different value:

It says 190cc of oil with no mention of air space....

Hm, maybe my 110 is too little space.... think i might blow my seals? Anyone have a comment here? What should i believe??

Y

yos1s25

the springs that recomended by RS in ther site
seems too soft? no?
my weight is 155. so I have to use white and silver?
and another question:
do you really use 5w oil in the rebund side?? isnt that too fast rebound? even for DH?
and 10w in the compression side?? isnt that too hard?

thanks.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by yos1s25
well ?
5W/10W is how the fork is supposed to be set up. Of course you can probably change this and get different results. I know heavier weight olis are effected by heat more than thinner ones.

Other than that i cant really say. Im used tio marz forks that used one weight in both legs.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Resurrecting this thread.
I did the search thing and found this one. I had forgotten that i had posted here.

Anyways, ive been on my boxxer for a few months now. Its been feeling real good in most every situation. I did the one oil change and im about to do it again this week. Saturday for the first time since i increased the oil volume i bottomed out the fork. It was mostly from nose down landings at whistler (GLC and a-line drops). I found when i land the way your supposed to it didnt bottom.

My new question is, how does the hi/low speed setup work? If i described the fork feeling "harsh" over high speed stutter bumps and real rough trail, where should i start to adjust out this feeling? (think a-line for those who have been to whistler) I have not opened the fork to see what the internal speed settings are, but think its time to check it. As i said before, im 230 before gear, running 1yellow, 1red w/1 preload spacer each side. I believe my oil height is in the 115-130 range, but I cant remember for sure.

Can anyone give me some tips?
Thanks,
d