Quantcast

Boxxer WC 2010 help! Coil conversion?

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
I've got some problems with my Boxxers. I bought it new for less than 2 months ago and it got some 20 hours of riding on it. After 2 hours the lower legs snapped, I had to replace them, I got some Boxxer Race lowers and removed the insert also I had to change the crown with the steerer.

Anyhow I've tried to tune it to my liking but haven't been able to. It feels harsh over rocks/rockgardens/brake bumps, dives in corners and on steep parts. Also it's leaking from the rebound knob. I've been in contact with TFTunedShox and they said the coil conversion could help, also they do some other stuff to make 2010 Boxxers feel like a fork should. This would set me back 99 GBP for Service, 150 GBP for coil conversion, ~70 GBP for postage to Sweden back and forth, also they could change the rebound knob to 2011 design for around 60 GBP (the 2010 design is really bad imo) to basically make my new Boxxer World Cup a Boxxer R2C2 for 380 GBP. This means this fork has cost me alot, is it worth to do this coil conversion, or should I stick with air spring and just service it? Or sell it and get some other fork?

I've read some threads here with mixed opinions, is it possible to make this fork feel good without coil conversion?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Try backing the drop stop out all the way? Switching to the 2011 solo air cartridge and compression damper will make it less harsh. I dunno if avalanche does international shipping, but they will re-shim your compression damper to essentially make it less harsh for 129USD(with shipping it might be cheaper to just get the 2011 unit for you, but with the exchange rate it might make sense, sure beats the euro->GBP exchange), read about it here: http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/Rock Shox/Boxxer 35mm Mod.htm

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
You can make the 2010 WC feel good. You just need to put the time and effort to do so. Tear down the fork and do a good overhaul. Use slick honey on the seals and o-rings on the fork. A good tip is that the 2010 solo air assembly has a sponge like ring on the air piston. Take that out. It does more harm than good.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
You can make the 2010 WC feel good. You just need to put the time and effort to do so. Tear down the fork and do a good overhaul. Use slick honey on the seals and o-rings on the fork. A good tip is that the 2010 solo air assembly has a sponge like ring on the air piston. Take that out. It does more harm than good.
Zombie thread, but I just wanted to confirm if this was okay? I mess around with stuff when it involves coils and oils but air is still kind magic to me.