Quantcast

Boxxer WC sag problem

7omahawk

Chimp
Nov 17, 2011
Hello,
I have a 2011 Boxxer WC on my demo and I'm experiencing a weird issue with it.
The fork gets stuck about 5-10 mm into the travel, so I'm only getting 190 mm of travel and because the fork always sits lower into the travel the bike is lowered too.
When I pull the fork up hard it goes beyond that spot but after a run or two it goes back.
I am servicing the fork once in two weeks and didn't notice anything that might cause the problem. I didn't open the cartridges because I don't have the tools with me.
Any ideas on what might cause this ?

Cheers, Tom

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Sounds like your negative chamber isn't equalizing and staying equalized.

Pull the piston and make sure that schrader valve thing is clean and working.

Your fork isn't likely to sit at a full 200mm of travel at rest anyway though. 5-10mm is within 'negative' travel range.

7omahawk

Chimp
Nov 17, 2011
I know the fork has a certain amount of sag. The problem is that it gets stuck so when there is no weight on the fork it's still not going beyond that spot to the full 200 mm, only when I pull it up really hard.
I'll try checking that valve.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The same happened to me. Cleaned mine and it still happens so I think I need a replacement but it was after 3 seasons of abuse.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I know the fork has a certain amount of sag. The problem is that it gets stuck so when there is no weight on the fork it's still not going beyond that spot to the full 200 mm, only when I pull it up really hard.
I'll try checking that valve.
The valve or piston seal may be worn/leaking - either one allows the air from the positive chamber to escape into the negative chamber, preventing "hard topout". Replace the seals in the air cartridge and you should be ok. However as Kidwoo says, virtually no air forks ever run exactly their stated amount of travel from soft topout to hard bottom out.