Quantcast

Brake pads

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anybody use anything other than factory pads in their brakes?

I have maguras, which use a semi-metallic (mostly organic?) compound that is super soft and offers good but not great braking power. The brakes are massive and I'd like to try a non-factory metallic compound to get even better braking power. Magura doesn't make metallic, so my options are:

Swisstop
Uber bike
Something else.

Uberbike claims to sponsor steve peat, and offers a race and metallic compound.

Swisstop I've heard mentioned before, but don't know if anybody uses them.

I have always used factory pads as they've always been metallic, but now it looks like I need another choice.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Uberbike claims to sponsor steve peat, and offers a race and metallic compound.
I'm using both of these compounds in my guides. no dramas.

Uberbike make those silicon cock shaped valve caps Peaty apparently "designed" :/
No idea if he uses their brake pads.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Uberbike make those silicon cock shaped valve caps Peaty apparently "designed" :/
thanks gary. None of the other mfgs mentioned actually make pads for MT5/7 brakes. Are they as good or better than stock for you?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

do you use any of their other products? I'm thinking new brake lines and possibly even a front disc are in order... Not that I have any problems with the stock Shimano stuff, but if this stuff is as good, and maybe a bit cheaper, then why not?!

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
MT5/7 are fairly new, not every manufacturer has pads for them, but You can't go wrong with EBC Gold pads... They are available for those calipers.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
thanks gary. None of the other mfgs mentioned actually make pads for MT5/7 brakes. Are they as good or better than stock for you?
Impossible to compare really.
The stock pads on my Guides did an entire Scottish winter of sledging down the steepest techest #EWS/DH style tracks Scotland has to offer pretty much entirely in attrociously muddy/wet/snowy conditions and still have life in 'em but I pre-empted the wear and switched tp the Ubers as I was injured and bored.
The Ubers have been on less than a month and it has only rained once. Plus I'm injured so riding at half gas.(well.. 3/4)
Like I said tho. No dramas.
Uber had a sale on so 3 sets of pads was around the same price as a single set of SRAMs
I'm using a race matrix in one side and a semi in the other of each caliper BTW (A l'il experiment if you like) They're at least as powerful as stock pads (probably more so) but it's too soon to come to any firm conclusions. ANY disc pads generally last me a very loooong time.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
do you use any of their other products? I'm thinking new brake lines and possibly even a front disc are in order... Not that I have any problems with the stock Shimano stuff, but if this stuff is as good, and maybe a bit cheaper, then why not?!
Nah.
Don't see the point in new brake lines unless they somehow fail.and fancy rotors don't interest me.
I'd guess Uberbike just source stuff cheap, buy in bulk and get it branded up to punt out missing out middlemen/shops.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The Trucker Co sintered pads are >> than the Magura OEM pads, by a long shot. Not sure if they have any for the new MT5/7 though.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Nah.
Don't see the point in new brake lines unless they somehow fail.and fancy rotors don't interest me.
I'd guess Uberbike just source stuff cheap, buy in bulk and get it branded up to punt out missing out middlemen/shops.
I'm with you on that. but my brake lines are old, and the routing requires a pretty severe bend in the line at the swing arm. after a while, it weakens and splits, so I have to replace it periodically. My front brake rotor got bent a few months ago, and my attempt to straighten it has been less than perfect. It works, but in muddy conditions, it's not great. If these offer no appreciable performance improvement or price advantage... then I guess that's that! thanks

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I use Swisstop sintered pads on my Guides with Ice tech rotors and am happy with the combo. Cannot comment about the original Guides pads since I swap them directly...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
MT5/7 are fairly new, not every manufacturer has pads for them, but You can't go wrong with EBC Gold pads... They are available for those calipers.
Do EBC still make mtb pads?
I found those decent, the gold glaze a little easy but I liked the red a lot apart from their fastish wear. I'd definitely consider running half gold / half red if EBC are available.

I'm using a race matrix in one side and a semi in the other of each caliper BTW (A l'il experiment if you like)
I've tried that a few times too and been happy with the results - good semis have a little more dry bite which I like, and sintered pads do better in the wet. Only thing is the different wear rate but no big deal, just replace the one that needs it and reset.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Wow, I don't know. That's $20 for an entire set of pads, FR and RR. They'd probably take $15 if you offered. I suppose that in the first 100ft, you should know whether you'll make the next thousand.

I guess I'd worry more about them disintegrating then poor performance.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
In my experience with those cheap ebay sintered pads, the downside is that they glaze faster than good ones. Yet to see any that separate from backing, you could always just test out on the rear and see. Sintered pads in general are a bit glaze-happy so it's not a bad idea to change them before they're completely worn out (once they start losing bite), especially at that price.

Also one of the pictures suggests they're certified for aircraft use.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I use whatever is cheaper. sinister. used SuperStrar. used Chines, used BBB.. and many others.
all of them are good.
original pads glaze too if you hold your brakes too long...
just buy whatever is cheap. sinister pads.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are you using the 4 piece (performance) or 2 piece (endurance) pads?
2 piece, which I believe have the same semi-metallic compound as the four piece. The fact that mine do not have the retaining bolts complicates matters for me...I have to get some one way or another, and they only seem to be available with factory pads, though those swisstops appear to come with them. I don't really want ebay titanium pins, and cotter pins seem janky.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The 4 piece ones (performance) are supposed to use a different compound that will increase power. I haven't tried them yet since I bought a stack of the 2 piece ones. For aftermarket I've had good luck with EBC (haven't tried their Magura pads though). At least with EBC you're getting them from a company that has a lot of experience with brake pads across multiple vehicle formats vs some small bike company getting OEM pads from who knows where.

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
Anyone seen the radiator pads from Superstar Components? From what i understand, they are available only for several different brakes, but are interesting (the radiators are switchable to new pads when the old ones wear out).
After i used all of the original pads on my Stroker Aces, i switched to Superstar pads and Shimano rt-76 floating rotors - never looked back at a different combination. Tried both kevlar and sintered pads, the are incredible! :) And super cheap!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The 4 piece ones (performance) are supposed to use a different compound that will increase power. I haven't tried them yet since I bought a stack of the 2 piece ones. For aftermarket I've had good luck with EBC (haven't tried their Magura pads though). At least with EBC you're getting them from a company that has a lot of experience with brake pads across multiple vehicle formats vs some small bike company getting OEM pads from who knows where.
it seems you are right. I think I was under the impression that the MT5 had the performance compound, I don't know why. Even more reason to grab a set of real pads.

Anybody have experience between the two pads? Is it worth just grabbing factory pads if they're a better setup than the endurances?

I've used EBC on my car before, not on my bike. I can give them a look.

edit: this is what I thought I had: http://www.jensonusa.com/!I0WwqQDyhT2U7JIz7OglFw!/Magura-9P-Performance-Disc-Brake-Pads?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=CjwKEAjw6e_IBRDvorfv2Ku79jMSJAAuiv9YshRnW8ZZWPLypFY_SBZCosb4dLm0G_brACwgo_4M0xoCl7Lw_wcB

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I've used both, the MT7 pads are much better in terms of both pad life and stopping power, but still not what I would classify as amazing in terms of pad life. I went through the OE MT5 pads faster than the rear Minion I put on at the same time as the brakes. I'm almost through my second rear tire with the MT7 pads and they're pretty worn, but may have another tire left in them. My XTR trails with sintered pads gave me 4-5 tires worth of pad life.

The bite of the MT7 pads is fine for me, I'm curious if the non Magura pads will be better, but even if I lost a wee bit of bite it wouldn't be the end of the world, it would just bee nice if they lasted a bit longer. $50 for a tire and $60 for a set of pads every other month really cuts into my enduro pajama budget.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I wish I rode that much :(

Have only a couple rides on the mt5s, but good to know the mt7s are better. Magura's weirdness with sintered compound brakes makes me a little nervous too.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've used both, the MT7 pads are much better in terms of both pad life and stopping power, but still not what I would classify as amazing in terms of pad life. I went through the OE MT5 pads faster than the rear Minion I put on at the same time as the brakes. I'm almost through my second rear tire with the MT7 pads and they're pretty worn, but may have another tire left in them. My XTR trails with sintered pads gave me 4-5 tires worth of pad life.
Good to know the performance/MT7 pads last longer, I'll try those soon (only have one set of endurance/MT5 pads left). I've definitely gone through them faster then rear tires, but haven't noticed the cost since I started with a large supply of new pads.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I wish I rode that much :(

Have only a couple rides on the mt5s, but good to know the mt7s are better. Magura's weirdness with sintered compound brakes makes me a little nervous too.

I'm lucky to have one of the best trail systems in the area 7 minutes of pedaling from my front door. I can get a really fun 7-8 mile ride in under 50 minutes total, 10-12 in just over an hour.

What's the weirdness you speak of? If I remember right, the older Maguras had sintered performance pads, and organic endurance ones. I thought they switched away due to noise and potentially glazing. The noise of sintered pads always seems related to glazing, and a quick swipe with sand-paper solves that.