Quantcast

Brakes and wet roads

J

JRB

Do pads seem to disintegrate on your bikes when the road is wet??? Rode in the rain on Tuesday and it seemed like half my pads were gone. Spent me some time with Simple Green and scotch brite cleaning the rims last night. Put new cartridges in since I am going to a mountain ride Saturday. Didn't really want to run out of brakes. :eek:

*easy on me - first roadie thread.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
can't answer you about the brakes, since I've never paid attention to wear, but wanted to ask... "mt ride"? In TX?

k9handler

Monkey
Aug 19, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
no...just the ability of the pad to grab the rim is not so great when wet. Mt Ride in TX...hell yes the hill country has some great trails and pretty technical stuff as well. Colo has much better and way more...but Texas is ok.

J

JRB

A little about our only mountains while the Hill Country does have some great trails and hilly road rides.

Elevation, Weather, and Schedule Information: Elevation: 5000 - 6000 Average rainfall: 18.9 Weather: Winters are often below freezing. Summers have hot days, usually low humidity, and cool nights. Temperatures drop dramatically after sunset, so bring a jacket year-round. The Davis Mountains area is greener and supports grasses and trees along with expected desert plants. The mile-high altitude provides cool, pleasant summer weather and crisp nights. Winter visitors may be treated to an occasional snowfall over the scenic landscape. The Northern Chihuahuan Desert encompasses Fort Davis and the surrounding area. Check our Calendar of Events for scheduled hunting restrictions.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/davis/

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Yep water does something to accellerate pad wear. I noticed that when I used ceramic rims that after the first set of pads, the pads lasted a really long time, so it must be the combination of wet aluminum and rubber pads which creates the d\fast wear. Rims will wear out faster too.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
The best pads I've come across for wet riding are the Koolstop salmon ones. They wear out like any other pad (duh), but seem to last a little longer than the standard ones.
I know when it rains around here, there is so much road-grime that it just becomes a part of your entire bike and it takes no time to wreak havoc on not only the pads/rims, but drivetrain components as well.
I just try to avoid using my brakes unless totally required...that gritty sound when I hit the brakes can't be good.

Thanks for the 4-1-1, loco! I did not realize that there were elevations of that magnitude in the Lone Star state.