Quantcast

Brakes not up to par?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Got a good trick, dont know if its widely known, probably is, but if ur brakes arent performing well ur pads are probably smoothed out. Take some 800 grit sandpaper and rub them in circles, WOW what a difference it makes, pads are back to new. thought this might help. ;) i do this every week or so...

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by zedro
ya know what works? peeing on your rotors. Dont ask me how i know....
Only downside is that your bike starts to smell kinda funny after the rotors heat up during heavy braking...

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by dexterq20
Only downside is that your bike starts to smell kinda funny after the rotors heat up during heavy braking...
But the flip side is that horny deer might mistake it for pheromones.
Don't ask me how I know.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by Repack
But the flip side is that horny deer might mistake it for pheromones.
Don't ask me how I know.
i dont need to ask, its obvious you got drunk one night, pissed on yourself, fainted in the woods while walking home, and were woken up by a deer trying to stick it in ya

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
i dont need to ask, its obvious you got drunk one night, pissed on yourself, fainted in the woods while walking home, and were woken up by a deer trying to stick it in ya
But you forgot about the part where a joint fell out of my mouth and started burning my pants. Were you there or did you just read about it?

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by ChrisRobin
don't forget to mix it with DOT fluid...extra power!
From experience. I would recommend you keep DOT fluid away from brake pads :) , I recenetly hit the brake lever while the caliper was off the disc. Thus expanding the pistons. So I figured I woulda take the caliper apart and push them back in :rolleyes: after realizing I just leaked fluid over the caliper and the carpet I quickly put it back together and cleaned up the fluid. Lesson learned. Read the manual first as I coulda have just taken the pads out and used a wrench to push them back in :mad: So now I have to pull the lever right into the handle bar to lock the back tire and even then it "skips" with a horrible noise. Back to the bike shop I go for a bleeding/new fluid!

Trial and Error I supose, with extra error

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Originally posted by mack
I GIVE UP
lighten up, we're just trying to have a bit of fun.....:D

besides, if we didn't take out all of this hostility on you, we'd probably end up beating our wives/girlfriends. Think of all the domestic abuse your preventing!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Mitch
So now I have to pull the lever right into the handle bar to lock the back tire and even then it "skips" with a horrible noise. Back to the bike shop I go for a bleeding/new fluid!

Trial and Error I supose, with extra error
go to canadian tire. $3 bottle of fluid, and a bleed kit and youw ill save the $ in 2 bleeds.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
This rather easy for someone just learning??
if you can turn 2 screws and squeeze a little plastic bottle, then yes. :p Just look for directions on the hayes website, or ask yoru shop to explain it. It's really easy.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
This rather easy for someone just learning??
After you try bleeding your system a few times, you'll be able to do it in the parking lot 5 minutes before you have to go riding with an arm tied behind your back.

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
After you try bleeding your system a few times, you'll be able to do it in the parking lot 5 minutes before you have to go riding with an arm tied behind your back.
Good, cuz I only have one arm.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
i guess thats the arm that got ****ed up when your brakes failed...