Quantcast

Brand NEW Intense Bike

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by Mike.rider
heres the silver one this has been floating around for some time now.
:eviltongu EWWW silver. Thats nasty. I'll take camo please ;) Now where did I set my chaw?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by binary visions
Apparently you and I are the only ones without mullets and shotgun racks in our rusty pickup trucks...
I don't have a mullet and I took the gun rack out of my truck, thank you very much!

There is nothing wrong with a good woodland camo paint job.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by jimmydean
I don't have a mullet and I took the gun rack out of my truck, thank you very much!

There is nothing wrong with a good woodland camo paint job
Oh my god that was YOU who used to beat my ass when I was 13 skateboarding down the sidewalk!!! You were about 25 at the time..........and you DID have a mullet, shaved on the sides with shingles!!!

How's your girlfriend?,......."Missy" right?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by kidwoo
Oh my god that was YOU who used to beat my ass when I was 13 skateboarding down the sidewalk!!! You were about 25 at the time..........and you DID have a mullet, shaved on the sides with shingles!!!

How's your girlfriend?,......."Missy" right?
Hey now! I have never had a mullet. Nor would I ever beat down a fellow skater. When that truck is done, it will have nothing but old school punk screaming out the windows with my bike in the back on the way to the trail.

Now if I could only get woodland camo to come out well in powder, I'd be happy...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by jimmydean
Hey now! I have never had a mullet. Nor would I ever beat down a fellow skater. When that truck is done, it will have nothing but old school punk screaming out the windows with my bike in the back on the way to the trail.

Now if I could only get woodland camo to come out well in powder, I'd be happy...
Sorry man, displaced flashbacks. **twitch** twitch**

I'll look for you shuttling the Mckenzie river trail this summer.....pick me up.

:D

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I'm a little bit surprised that Intense has jumped so far into the whole VPP thing, especially As far as I know, they haven't done much race testing, especially with the M3. And I'm really surprised that they're even doing the V8--it looks exactly like the VP Free, which is probably way cheaper.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Tully
I'm a little bit surprised that Intense has jumped so far into the whole VPP thing, especially As far as I know, they haven't done much race testing, especially with the M3. And I'm really surprised that they're even doing the V8--it looks exactly like the VP Free, which is probably way cheaper.

Based on the intense bikes I've spent some time on (all fsr) the one nagging problem they all had was flexy rear ends.....just like all fsrs. The solid floating rear end designs out there (vpp, karpiel, dw-link etc) that have smaller distances between pivots/bearings are all significantly stiffer without adding tons of material to the tubing. Breaking seatstays is a big issue with the M1s at least. Outside of the obvious differences in preference between types of suspension, I think these probably came into play when deciding to make the switch.

As far as the v-8 being the same as the vp free, who knows. Not all fsr bikes are the same, not all walking beams are the same.....etc.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Based on the intense bikes I've spent some time on (all fsr) the one nagging problem they all had was flexy rear ends.....just like all fsrs. ....
Yeah.....:rolleyes: I think Intense's switch is more based on not coughing up $$ to Specialized for the FSR patent.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by Zark
Yeah.....:rolleyes: I think Intense's switch is more based on not coughing up $$ to Specialized for the FSR patent.
so now they fork over $$ to Santa Cruz for the VPP patent? or is it the other way around. If it is, and THEY hold the patent, then why do you have to sell your left nut to afford one of their bikes.........

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by Skookum
so now they fork over $$ to Santa Cruz for the VPP patent? or is it the other way around. If it is, and THEY hold the patent, then why do you have to sell your left nut to afford one of their bikes.........
As I understood it they were "sharing" the patent. That way they could both develop designs based off the original idea with different bikes (that now seem to look nearly the same).

As far as price, I thought the M3 and V10 are about the same price...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Santa Cruz bought the patent, so Intense must pay them.

The thought that Intense switched 'cause they didn't want to pay Specialized is silly. The Horst link patent ends up costing like $1 per frame.

Intense frames are so highly priced anyway that even if it were $100 per frame, it wouldn't be a solid reason to switch.

They switched 'cause they think they can sell more bikes like this. Considering the popularity of the V10, the hype of the VP-Free, and the growing popularity of the Blur, I don't think that's a bad assumption.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Santa Cruz and Intense have an "arrangement" of some kind. Santa Cruz owns the patent. SC has some lisence deal w/ Intense. I think its a lot less than Spec asks for its FSR patent, or free. I bet SC wanted Intense's help devloping the tech. to do VPP right.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Don't get offended. You and I both know they're flexy. I own and ride 3 of them regularly and happily:D
Dude, I'm not. I honestly think its the VPP hype and not paying for the FSR patent.

FSR are flexy if your FAT maybe:p J/K:D

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by zedro
maybe because they wanted to get more travel out of it? the FSRs are pretty much limited to 8".
Really?

My M1 is 9"

Demo is 9"

Titus Supermoto is 9"

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Dude, I'm not. I honestly think its the VPP hype and not paying for the FSR patent.

FSR are flexy if your FAT maybe:p J/K:D
I did put on a lot of weight this winter. I'm up to 165 now. I like the way fsr bikes climb and pedal regardless of shock or gearing and think the advantages there are worth the flex. But if you think about the contact point(s) at a horst link, you've really only got the washers/bearing interfaces holding the rear end together. It's not a lot of surface area. The sideload you get from turning or getting knocked around in bumps is pretty significant. Contrast that with either a solid rear end like a foes where you can have huge bearings, or parallelogram where the bearings are close together like a vpp (a true 4-bar system with more support for sideloads) and you've got a lot more leverage on the horst link way out there with the rear wheel.

Anyway, I like well made horst link bikes, I just think they're inherently flexy compared to some other systems.
:eviltongu ;) :D

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I did put on a lot of weight this winter. I'm up to 165 now. I like the way fsr bikes climb and pedal regardless of shock or gearing and think the advantages there are worth the flex. But if you think about the contact point(s) at a horst link, you've really only got the washers/bearing interfaces holding the rear end together. It's not a lot of surface area. The sideload you get from turning or getting knocked around in bumps is pretty significant. Contrast that with either a solid rear end like a foes, or parallelogram where the bearings are close together like a vpp and you've got a lot more leverage on the horst link way out there with the rear wheel.

Anyway, I like well made horst link bikes, I just think they're inherently flexy compared to some other systems.
You weigh the same as me:D The pedaling and braking sold me on the ride of FSR bikes. I've got a Tracer on the way, Woohoo!

I've had stiffer bikes and I've had flexier bikes than FSR's I've found my M1 to be really stiff actually. The only bike I've had where the flex was so bad it was a problem was an '01 Giant AC. Its was straight up squirrelly at times.

On the whole a little flex isn't the worst thing in the world, bad pedaling or braking are IMO;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

On the whole a little flex isn't the worst thing in the world, bad pedaling or braking are IMO;)
word

Incidently, if you ever get a chance, ride a Foes DHS mono down something with a lot of rocky turns. It will change your ideas of "lateral stiffness".

Unfortunately it will also make you deaf.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I did put on a lot of weight this winter. I'm up to 165 now.
I'm sorry in no way can 165 equal putting on alot of weight. Unless you're a midget:D

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
word

Incidently, if you ever get a chance, ride a Foes DHS mono down something with a lot of rocky turns. It will change your ideas of "lateral stiffness".

Unfortunately it will also make you deaf.
I have down Tunnel. Good cornering bikes, very stiff. My hearing is still damaged from it though. He has an AC chainguide to make it extra noisy:D

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Really?

My M1 is 9"

Demo is 9"

Titus Supermoto is 9"
Demo isnt the same design really, the Titus has a pretty long chainstay...thought the M1 was 8"...how long are the chainstays?

because the only reason the BigHit has a 24" wheel is because they need the clearance with those short chainstays.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by zedro
thought the M1 was 8"...how long are the chainstays?
2002 and later M1's are 9". I dunno exactly how long the chainstay is, but its adjustable. The bike doesn't have insanely long chainstays I don't think. 17-17.5"? Wheelbase is pretty reasonable too.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
2002 and later M1's are 9". I dunno exactly how long the chainstay is, but its adjustable. The bike doesn't have insanely long chainstays I don't think. 17-17.5"? Wheelbase is pretty reasonable too.
mainly the reason i said that was some frame designers pointed out the FSRs arent really optimized for really long travel.