Quantcast

BRD Motorcycles announces electric motocross and supercross bikes!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC

One might wonder... why is a mountain biking site posting news about a motorcycle? For one, this is no ordinary motorcycle... and it was produced by one of Ridemonkey's very own members! Congratulations, Ohio!
---

“BRD Announces the RedShift MX and SM - Electric Motocross and Supermoto Motorcycles Designed to Outperform Gas Equivalents.” 2011-08-03

SAN FRANCISCO, CA. August 3, 2011 -- BRD Motorcycles announced today its new electric motorcycle, the RedShift, targeted towards off-road and urban use, and intended to outperform gas-powered equivalents.

“We just want to make faster motorcycles” said CEO, Marc Fenigstein. “We’re a team of riders and racers with high-performance gas machines in the garage. We’re building the bikes we’d rather be riding.”

Like a gas supermoto, only faster
The RedShift SM, the urban version, was unveiled this evening in San Francisco at the Dainese D-Store SF. The unit is said to be a pre-production prototype, with production planned for 2012. The RedShift MX, the dual-sport version, is in parallel development. The models share a proprietary chassis and drivetrain, producing 40hp and weighing in at approximately 250lbs (240lbs in off-road trim). They feature fully adjustable suspension, with conventional wheel and sprocket sizes.

“There are decades of development in modern motocross and supermoto chassis” said Chief Technology Officer, Derek Dorresteyn, a former proffessional racer. “We chose to harness the best of that while taking advantage of the torque and throttle response an electric motor delivers.” BRD states that this creates a familiar riding experience for seasoned motorcyclists, but one that provides riders more control, feedback, and confidence.

Both versions of the RedShift use a 5.2kWh battery that should deliver about 50 miles of range based on other electric motorcycles in the market, but BRD refrained from specifying a range until further testing. Fenigstein clarified, “we expect people to ride the snot out of these in a way that hasn’t been possible on previous electrics - that’s going to affect the range and we want to be careful about getting the specification right.”

Unique manufacturing approach creates a distinctive design
The most distinctive feature of the bike is the chassis, made of two sculptural aluminum monocoque members. Chief Design Officer, Jeff Sand explains: “While the chassis geometry is conventional, packaging an electric drive-train required rethinking frame design. Starting with a clean slate, we developed a new methodology that allows tight integration of the drive-train components in a very dense package, while meeting our strength and stiffness requirements, and being manufacturable here in California.”

The motorcycles will be sold through conventional motorcycle dealerships to ensure superb warranty and service support. Specifications and product images can be found at BRD’s website: http://www.faster-faster.com.

BRD plans to provide further information on the motorcycles at the 68th EICMA in Milan, Italy in November.

Attachments

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was there. The new moto is pure sex, environmentally friendly, and it will be a ripper, pavement or dirt.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Thanks, BV and Sanj!

As penance for building a non-human-powered machine, my two partners and I are heading up to Downieville this weekend to pedal ourselves stupid.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
They only way that thing is not crap is if it has a loud speaker that emits "Brraaaaapp" at a volume of 11. After all, that is what moto is all about.

Very impressive BTW.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
So the cat is officially out of the bag now, huh?

That looks like it is one sweet bike. Almost makes me want to take up MX. DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT take advantage of the quiet running electric motor and think you can now poach MTB trails on it now.
:thumb:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
oh dear...
finally someone builds one :thumb::thumb:

how much?
Not announcing pricing just yet, but brace yourself. It is definitely more than a gas MXer. You end up roughly breaking even on maintenance (ours has pretty much none - a 200hr oil change), but the sticker shock is still real.

DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT take advantage of the quiet running electric motor and think you can now poach MTB trails on it now.
:thumb:
I would NEVER. [insert fine print about neither encouraging nor condoning such behavior]. I can't vouch for our customers though...

So would highway riding lower the expected range?
Yes, it would. One of the many reasons our initial products are MX and SM is that the bikes are at their best in tight slow courses where electric kicks ass. They'll do 100mph, but it's unpleasant on a bike that tall, lightweight, and unprotected from wind. We want people to ride the bikes where they'll shine. I don't have exact figures yet, but you'll probably get twice the range ripping around the city as fast as you can than you would on a CA highway at 85mph.

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
What motor and controller does it use?
What is the Voltage?
is there a transmission?

That bike is gorgeous!
Thanks!

It's our own motor (PMAC) and control. There was no way to hit our power density requirements with anything off the shelf. It's high voltage and uses a fixed (single "speed") internal gear reduction. I can't share specifics because we're still in the process of filing patents.

Side note - part of the reason I'm really excited about a single gear ratio is that it allows us to move the rear brake to the left handlebar. Especially for someone that came from MTBing like me, this is magic off road. Seriously, I became an instant hero and could finally make the dirt bike do what I knew it could do from years of DHing. I think even folks who don't come from cycling will benefit once they get used to it, but foot brake is an available option.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Side note - part of the reason I'm really excited about a single gear ratio is that it allows us to move the rear brake to the left handlebar. Especially for someone that came from MTBing like me, this is magic off road. Seriously, I became an instant hero and could finally make the dirt bike do what I knew it could do from years of DHing. I think even folks who don't come from cycling will benefit once they get used to it, but foot brake is an available option.
The note I sent to Victor (sales team email) was all about the rear hand brake. I hardly ever touch my rear because I have zero feel in boots.

I've been waiting on the KTM Freeride, but this bike is above that now, damn.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the perfect answer is the rekluse clutch. I moved my rear brake to the clutch lever.
I rode a WR with one and I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Might have been the bike, but I know a lot of the Husaberg guys run them in the woods and swear by them.

I just love the stealth aspect of the electric.