Quantcast

brian williams....

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Honestly I dont have alot of heartache with his actions. Yeah, he is a self aggrandizing putz...but he did a nice thing for a decorated retired Vet, and in the infotainment era far worse has been done in the name of hey look at me news people...

What did people want? Walter Cronkite? Ernie Pyle? Ernest Hemingway?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; credible we must be truthful.
-Edward R Murrow.

Though to be fair, in the era of "Fox News", I find it hard to believe that this is suddenly an issue.

Edit from 2 days ago:
Journalism really is dead.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I remember watching Geraldo Rivera give this really emotional, teary eyed, account of a battle he had witnessed. Turns out he was never there. He still got to keep his job. But then again, did anyone ever take him as seriously as Williams ?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I remember watching Geraldo Rivera give this really emotional, teary eyed, account of a battle he had witnessed. Turns out he was never there. He still got to keep his job. But then again, did anyone ever take him as seriously as Williams ?
yeah....and hillary's sniper fire story....still got elected to senator...barry even made fun of her for it...still gave her a job.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
yeah....and hillary's sniper fire story....still got elected to senator...barry even made fun of her for it...still gave her a job.
Apples and oranges steve. Hillary is politician. All politicians are hired, professional liars and we expect that of them. But journalists on the other hand are supposed to report the events in an unbiased, objective manner. However this is a fading concept in the age infotainment.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Apples and oranges steve. Hillary is politician. All politicians are hired, professional liars and we expect that of them. But journalists on the other hand are supposed to report the events in an unbiased, objective manner. However this is a fading concept in the age infotainment.
jesus.

fucking.

christ.

here....

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Some people are blowhards, and I kinda think you have to be in order to provide commentary on everything that the job entails. Embellishing is human nature which I think blowhards have a tendency towards... Williams obviously went a little far on this story over a 10 year span, but I think he deserves a break.
The world of politics being intertwined with "news" and corporate interests is so convoluted- i don't think a Murrow would be allowed to exist under the current state of affairs.
I think Williams does about as good of a job as you could expect one to do in his position, assuming any kind of longevity.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
NBC says it is suspending Brian Williams as "Nightly News" anchor and managing editor for six months without pay for misleading the public about his experiences covering the Iraq War.

NBC chief executive Steve Burke said Tuesday that Williams' actions were inexcusable and jeopardized the trust he has built up with viewers during his decade as the network's lead anchor. But he said Williams deserved a second chance.

Williams apologized last week for saying he was in a helicopter that was hit by a grenade while covering the Iraq War in 2003. Instead, he was in a group of helicopters and another was hit, and some veterans involved in the mission called him out on it.

NBC News President Deborah Turness said its probe into Williams' statements is continuing

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Brian Williams is now qualified to work for fox news
i think al sharpton is more qualified in the tall tale telling department...

but it makes you wonder..

what kind of blackmail material does he have that is keeping him gainfully employed by nbc/msnbc?