Quantcast

"Bridging The Fixie/BMX Gap?"

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I've been riding my single speed Bowery a lot lately (but I refuse to set it up fixie... I just don't see the point). It's amazing how much better it is than a bmx for getting places...

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I would much rather ride my MOB with a stout single-speed gear or 1X9 for the commute and the jumps.

Dismantling one bike to carry on your bike is not "bridging" anything !!

Alternately, lot of bmx'ers in austin have been seen rocking this setup with a honda ruckus and a bmx:

Last edited:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yeah, I don't really understand the point they are trying to make in the video. Some bikes are better for commuting, some are better for jumping and doing tricks. Duh.

I think the real beef from bmxers comes from when the fixie guys are doing bmx like freestyle stuff and think it's the raddest thing in the world.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Yeah, I don't really understand the point they are trying to make in the video. Some bikes are better for commuting, some are better for jumping and doing tricks. Duh.

I think the real beef from bmxers comes from when the fixie guys are doing bmx like freestyle stuff and think it's the raddest thing in the world.
commuter:

Last edited:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
And fixie/track bikes aren't even commuters.

This is a commuter !!!
Haha. But I guarantee I could get someplace faster on my bowery than I could on that thing! Of course, I could get there even faster if I was on something like a TCR Adv SL.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Haha. But I guarantee I could get someplace faster on my bowery than I could on that thing! Of course, I could get there even faster if I was on something like a TCR Adv SL.
heh heh. what about a Liquid 24" with stout SS gear, 10 miles to the trails versus the fixie guy with his dismantle/rebuild time ?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
nice! thats a clean bike. thats what i want.
r you running it brakeless? front looks disconnected.
Thanks. No, it's not brakeless. The front cable just blends in with the wall in that pic. Yeah, I think you would notice a world of difference if you switched to something like this for getting around. It's actually quite a bit more fun to ride than I thought it would be... just so effortlessly fast.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Alternately, lot of bmx'ers in austin have been seen rocking this setup with a honda ruckus and a bmx:

I am secretly in love with these things ever since we shot one for whatever the hell magazine it was I was working for at the time. Still see them all over NYC in various states of disrepair.

Last edited:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I've been riding my single speed Bowery a lot lately (but I refuse to set it up fixie... I just don't see the point). It's amazing how much better it is than a bmx for getting places...

Sweet, my next bike will be something like that. I don't have a bike that you can actually ride somewhere.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
heh heh. what about a Liquid 24" with stout SS gear, 10 miles to the trails versus the fixie guy with his dismantle/rebuild time ?
If I was him, I'd drive. Haha. Carrying that bike on your back would not be easy. Plus the dismantle/rebuild time. If the trails were only 5 or so miles away, I might pedal it on my liquid.

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
The point is that the dude enjoys both types of bikes.
Who cares though, bikes are bikes, why try so hard to categorize?
Very cool vid, nonetheless.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
my buddy rode thru a blizzard on his fixed gear, with his bmx on his back. he doesnt have a car so that was they only way he could get both bikes to the skatepark to ride em both there, dude is gnarly as hell. he was the first person to hit a handrail on a fixed gear

and my buddy doesnt take anything off his bike, just straps it to his mess bag and goes

Last edited:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I would much rather ride my [big wheel'd bmx] for the commute and the jumps.
My thoughts exactly. I've done the bike-on-a-bike before and it's a pain. 2" wide slick tires would be fine for dual duty unless you're too proud...

I'm just glad it wasn't another video of guys on fixies smashing their crotches.
I don't care how impressive it is to do tricks on a road bike, it never looks smooth or remotely comfortable.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Road bikes are built for 50mph into a chicane, but thats just me. Never understood the point of building a bike to go slow. . .

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my buddy rode thru a blizzard on his fixed gear, with his bmx on his back. he doesnt have a car so that was they only way he could get both bikes to the skatepark to ride em both there, dude is gnarly as hell. he was the first person to hit a handrail on a fixed gear

and my buddy doesnt take anything off his bike, just straps it to his mess bag and goes
pics?

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
I don't really see the point. "Look, another grungy fixie kid. And look at this, he also rides bmx! And is decent at trails! What a thrill it would be to put alot of time and effort into expressing his lifestyle. I'm sure alot of people would love to see inordinate amonts of clips of him riding down the road with a dismantled bmx on his back!"

At least he's not doing super-rad fixie tricks, I suppose.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
^ pretty gay, but impressive none the less
true, but what is it that's gay? I ponder this and cant find an answer that fits.

1) he's riding a rail. burly

2) no pads or helmet. burly

3) at night or in front of a statue. burly

4) brakeless. burly

5)probably 180's the ****. burly

so I can't seem to figure out what the drama is? I see more mtb dudes bagging on this than 20" riders now. So riding a rail with a 26 is proper but 3 more inches and thin tires is shunned?

But also, who are these new acrobats, are they former 20" riders busting on mtbs?

are they 26" riders busting on 20"?

Or are they pure-bread, rode nothing before a 29" fixie but now im killing rails and soon to be slayin trails, riders???

the s**t is gay though!:think:

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Most people are cool with whatever rolls.... there's always an a$$hole or two that has to hate, that's all. Every discipline has their share of those that think what THEY ride or do is superior.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
true, but what is it that's gay? I ponder this and cant find an answer that fits.

1) he's riding a rail. burly

2) no pads or helmet. burly

3) at night or in front of a statue. burly

4) brakeless. burly

5)probably 180's the ****. burly

so I can't seem to figure out what the drama is? I see more mtb dudes bagging on this than 20" riders now. So riding a rail with a 26 is proper but 3 more inches and thin tires is shunned?

But also, who are these new acrobats, are they former 20" riders busting on mtbs?

are they 26" riders busting on 20"?

Or are they pure-bread, rode nothing before a 29" fixie but now im killing rails and soon to be slayin trails, riders???

the s**t is gay though!:think:
In my opinion, what is gay, is riding a bike that is CLEARLY not meant for this, and this whole hipster scene.

Sure you can argue a mtb isnt meant for it either, however mountain bikes are now designed for it. If this catches on and they start making giant road bikes meant for it, ill hate on it less.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
umm actually the bike is designed for it. the first bike, the red one is not. the mint green bike however is. its the all-city dropout, designed for fixed gear freestyle. just look at how burly that fork is.

and yes hes riding toe-clips and yes hes doing that without pegs.

and he can ride bmx better than all of you too

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
umm actually the bike is designed for it. the first bike, the red one is not. the mint green bike however is. its the all-city dropout, designed for fixed gear freestyle. just look at how burly that fork is.

and yes hes riding toe-clips and yes hes doing that without pegs.

and he can ride bmx better than all of you too
i want to make it clear, i dont doubt the skill. (as originally posted) i just do not agree with the bike choice, although if it is meant for it, ill have to eat my words on that 1.