Quantcast

Bringing Hayes levers closer to bar / increasing lever throw (again)

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Couldn't find the original thread, looks like it's gone...

Anyhow, I could never get my Hayes levers as close to the bar as I needed (bought a used bike). Not that I have small hands either, I wear medium gloves. Tried the recommended shim trick a bunch of times (both with business cards and metal shims) to increase Hayes lever throw, was a total waste, didn't help at all. I was kind of pissed that Hayes would design such a tiny amount of adjustment into the levers, obviously neglecting those of us 5'10" and under.

Then recently I found one of the pistons in my rear caliper was sticking, so I replaced the caliper pistons and seals. Wow, now there is TWO OR THREE TIMES the lever throw there used to be, and the lever adjustment brings the lever WAY in. Perfect. In fact, I may have to adjust the lever out just a bit. Hayes had it right after all.

I'm guessing old hard seals don't retract the pistons like new ones do, so eventually the piston and seal works its way up (almost) against the rotor. Which means the second you touch the lever you're clamping the rotor in the pads, which means hardly any lever throw or adjustment.

So there you have it, if your lever throw goes away it's time for new seals and pistons, like-new performance is cheap.
:love: