Quantcast

Broke Marin Frame, no warranty, now what?

Sally2Trees

Chimp
Jul 5, 2004
I broke my Marin Rift Zone that I bought new and had owned for less than 6 months. I shipped it back to MarinBikes via LBS and they said they would not warranty it. THe warranty is for 3 years but they said it did not break due to defect in materials or workmanship. Marin said they would sale me a Marin Attack Trail frame for $500. ANy suggestions on what I should say to Marin or new dual suspension frame I should buy? PS Im 210 lbs and ride every day pretty hard.

Sally2Trees

Chimp
Jul 5, 2004
The rear triangle broke at the chain stay. I would buy the other frame but it is the same design and same Aluminum. Im afraid Id break it too. THe marin rep said it was thicker Al. but I dont know if I believe him.

Sally2Trees

Chimp
Jul 5, 2004
All the rep told me was I could buy the Attack Trail frame for $500 which retails for 1000. Or I could buy the rear triangle of the rift zone for 200. Marin's warranty states that "we honor a very small percentage of warranty claims" so what is the purpose of the 3 year warranty?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Sally2Trees said:
Marin's warranty states that "we honor a very small percentage of warranty claims" so what is the purpose of the 3 year warranty?
This is why some companies are hesitant to warranty things:

A lot of people buy XC race bikes then ride them like freeride bikes and wonder why they break. Suspension is to soak up some bumps. You can't just aim for the roughest stuff and bomb through it. Some finesse is required.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Jamis XLT -- This is more of a heavy duty trail bike.

I know one guy that has broke his Jamis twice, and they have warrantied it. We'll see what happens now that he has broke it for the third time. Another big guy that rides a XC race bike like a freeride bike.

Being a big guy you need to look into a trail/freeride style bike.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
MMcG said:
$500 - that doesn't sound like such a great deal to me....they really don't offer a crash replacement discount at all?
ATTACK TRAIL

Highlights:
• US made extruded aluminum frameset lbs
• 4", 5", and 6" of rear travel adjustment

Advertised Retail:
Complete $2,835.00*
Attack Quad Frameset $944*
Attack ProFrame $1,050.00*

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Rift Zone

On the trail, it's quickly apparent that this is a lightweight cross-country-inspired design that was not intended for hucking off of anything, but rather for speed-enhanced trail riding and possibly even racing. Even though it has just 80mm of travel, the Manitou Skareb Elite was well-matched to the longer rear travel, thanks to the progressive feel of the rear shock (I'd have liked the option of 100mm, in case it's not race day).

http://www.marinbikes.com/html/r_ped_5.03_quad_rift.html

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Wumpus said:
ATTACK TRAIL

Highlights:
• US made extruded aluminum frameset lbs
• 4", 5", and 6" of rear travel adjustment

Advertised Retail:
Complete $2,835.00*
Attack Quad Frameset $944*
Attack ProFrame $1,050.00*

wow - didn't realize Marin frames went for that much. I stand corrected.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Sally2Trees said:
The rear triangle broke at the chain stay. I would buy the other frame but it is the same design and same Aluminum. Im afraid Id break it too. THe marin rep said it was thicker Al. but I dont know if I believe him.
The attack definitely looks like it has a beefier rear triangle. You could just get the rear triangle and then sell the thing.

What was their reason for not warranting the frame?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Sadly, your experience sounds exactly like what I went through with another company, the difference being that they DID honor their warranty and replace three broken swingarms for me- 2 broken at the bearing arch welds and one broken at the chainstay weld. Sorry that you're getting the business end of the warranty strap-on.

If you can put the coin together, look into a Banshee Chaparral. You set it, forget it and just go ride. Big Boy tested and approved.

biketiger

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
in my house
Sally2Trees said:
I have a freeride bike and used this strictly for trails or road rides, not dirt jumping or hucking.

That's not what you said on another website.

Sally2Trees said:
It cracked vertically on chain stay. I was rolling along a smooth single track when it snapped. However, I do weigh 220lbs and have been known to do some moderate hucking (4-5ft).
I couldn't be happier with my Rift Zone. Sorry, but if I were working in the shop you took your bike to, I would have refused the warranty for them. You obviously used the bike in a way not intended by Marin. You should take the deal and be happy that you got the offer.

NCBikingJim

Chimp
Jul 24, 2004
Winston-Salem, NC
I'm not exactly sure what all type of riding that you are doing with the bike, but depending on the size you are looking for I can probably get you a 2003 Specialized Epic frame for around $800 - $850. This would be a brand new, never used frame. The frame originally retailed for $1,850. Sounds like Specialized definetely has a better warranty policy than a lot of other companies out there.

B

bigkonarider

Marin has a real sucky warranty...NO warranty...
all those Wildcat trail & team DH swingarms snap too...NO warranty at all.
..Get rid of it...There are just TOO many people breaking Marins Full susp. bikes i have seen......that sucks...!
Hope you get something up & running soon...

Sally2Trees

Chimp
Jul 5, 2004
In response to the guy who says that I am lying about the type abuse this bike has taken. In Tennesee, specifically on the trails I ride, there are parts on the trail that consist of ~4ft drops. Is this not consistent with moderate hucking? I have not jumped off roofs of houses or cars or downhill racing. I have been riding for about two years and assumed cross country riding might involve leaving the ground on occasion