Quantcast

Broke me pelvis

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
In the DH at AngleFire's Collegiate Nat'ls. I haven't seen the specialty doc yet, so no one knows what's going to happen. There is very little pain since the fist size chunk that broke off is non weight-bearing and there aren't many nerves right there. Ibuprofen is plenty. Unfortunately, the muscle that attatches to the chunk is pretty important for pedaling. We'll see how things go.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
sorry to hear that man... is the broken part the lobe on the right? Looks painful. Take it easy & heal up.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
F**** Jeff!

I saw the DNF and was going to give you crap... but that suuuucks.
Looks like you broke it pretty good too. So much for dirt jumping with a cast on.

Howd it happen?

** edit: I'm actually hoping to come down and ride in a few weeks... can you drive? :pirate2: **

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Dang dude that’s rough. Take it easy and let that heal right so you can ride hard again. Trust me it’s worth it. I just got done waiting close to 4 months for my shoulder to heal after breaking it. Luckily it’s the start of the winter so you will just be missing out on muddy cold rides. =]

It just reminded me of the Simpsons episode where Homer is trying to get disability for being overweight. One of the other things he named off to get disability was Achy Breakey Pelvis. Sorry, just had to mention it. =]

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
ugggh.... sucks. sorry to hear. Luckily for you it's not in a weight bearing area. I fractured my pelvis (In an auto accident) in 3 spots....i think all weight bearing spots. seriously the worst pain of my life!
anyway, heal up quick! any injury sucks!

holy FAK! i had a similar fracture on the other side. didn't seem as compound as yours, i just had a single fracture line down the "greater wing" of my pelvis. like you, i was lucky that it did not involve the joint or it would have been much worse. its basically the best sort of pelvic fracture you can hope for. when i did mine, i wasn't even going that fast...just a baby head sized rock at the right angle and location. man, did it hurt! especially flexing your leg at the hip, because all of your hip flexors attach at the "great wing" and it would pull on the broken peice. i basically sat around for a month and then non-weight beared for a couple of weeks for it to fully heal.

btw looks you've got a lot of sh!t in your xray

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Cracked my Hip Pointer a few years back on a very long rock garden in NC. I feel your pain man!!! I still raced the next day and it hurt so bad to even pedal. I didn’t know I cracked it till I got home and went to the Doctor. Good luck man!!!!!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Oh MAN! Good luck with the healing, those x-rays look pretty painful.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Wow...

Lord almighty - you definitely need to get that pinned (no pun intended)

Lemme guess: it was that massive hip/gap right hander after the long straightaway???

Heal up soon, and take care.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Heal up soon man, and take it EASY! Heal up all the way, and don't try to push to get back TOO much... I believe there is less blood flow through that area of the body than other areas so healing time can be slightly longer than other bones... not trying to depress ya or anything, just keep it in mind during your recovery!

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
damn man, that sucks. hope the recovery goes well. think of this as a good opportunity to drink beer, lots and lots of beer.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
suxors.

and you know all the x-rays you're gonna have to get taken aren't going to be any good for your huevos. Unless they give you a lead cup or something.

rubyrod44

Chimp
Apr 27, 2005
San Diego
Ouch! It looks like you broke off you anterior superior iliac spine. Thats def. going to affect your riding because your rectus femoris (one of the muscles in you quads) originates there. It also looks like you lost part of your anterior superior iliac spine, which is where your sartorius originates, also a muscle involved with riding. Good luck with the healing process. Im pretty sure your going to need surgery, so good luck with that as well.

Let me know what the orthopedic surgeon says.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Tomorrow I see the doctor- right before a big midterm in a super important class, linguistics.

It happened right after the bridge, right where the rock garden is interupted by an old service road. I had had a pretty perfect run, not much pedaling, saving a lot for the lower, faster half of the course. The bridge and all was fine, but I kinda lost focus/concentration on this icy/snowy rock double, secret-line we CalPoly guys had. Just kinda slid on the ice at about 10-15mph, and got flung hip-first onto a med sized rock, and couldn't stand up.

It never really hurt, and I'm not on any painkillers. Just a couple Ibuprofen a day. Can't lift the leg to take a step, but can put weight on it comfortably. I can feel the fist sized chunk of bone shifting around and grinding into muscle.

Thanks for all the comments. It's kinda scarry not going on with a huge broken chunk like that. The doc is really conservative, so he'll probably say no exercising allowed during rehab. But, he is the best surgeon in the 805.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Wow. Ouch. That's why I avoid going to the dr. and just let my unknown injuries heal how they may... ;)
So they musta had a different course for the collegiate nats, I don't remember a bridge from the Chile Challenge.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
sorry, i have clue what i'm looking for in the x-rays...but that sucks.
I can feel the fist sized chunk of bone shifting around and grinding into muscle.
i remember the feeling of my arm bending and grinding where it should'nt have been doing either. that's a strange feeling.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
It's weird feeling. And it doesn't hurt. Tomorrow AM the doc should let me know que pasara.

Counting the minutes...

warthog

Chimp
Oct 25, 2004
San Luis Obispo Ca.
Hey Weed, heal up quick...I need some sumo revenge.
Who's your Doc? I've been to both Dr. Devine and Dr. Sheckluer (spelling?) and both did fine work screwing my bones back together.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Hey Jeff.............all you have to remember is... RAG THE BEAST!
Hell Up good and fast head.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Hey Jeff.............all you have to remember is... RAG THE BEAST!
Hell Up good and fast head.
Hahaha, that's the plan. I'm looking into getting a TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) certificate in order to return to the EU for some more ridin' and racin'.

Hang in there with all the rain this fall.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Hey Weed, heal up quick...I need some sumo revenge.
Who's your Doc? I've been to both Dr. Devine and Dr. Sheckluer (spelling?) and both did fine work screwing my bones back together.
I'm gonna see Dr. Devine in an hour. Last time, with a broken foot, he just kinda yelled at me, this time I'm wearing a full business suit to seem less "extreme".

How's that collerbone feeling?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
NO SURGERY NEEDED as far as the doc could tell without a CAT scan. He also said 6-8 weeks for healing time, plus muscle re-hab. This means riding by x-mas time. Psyched!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Can't lift the leg to take a step, but can put weight on it comfortably. I can feel the fist sized chunk of bone shifting around and grinding into muscle.
Wow, that is a heck of a hip check!

get better

warthog

Chimp
Oct 25, 2004
San Luis Obispo Ca.
I'm gonna see Dr. Devine in an hour. Last time, with a broken foot, he just kinda yelled at me, this time I'm wearing a full business suit to seem less "extreme".

How's that collerbone feeling?
When I saw him for my wrist, every time he compared the first xrays to the latest to check the progress, he'd he always made it a point to say, "That is a nasty break" while shaking his head.
Collarbone is doing fine..been doing a little road riding...need to do more actually. Glad to hear you probably won't need to get cut

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Jeff hope you are feelink OK. Ryan told me last week about it. Sorry to hear.:banghead:
email me bout editing and all that type oh stuff
IAN