Quantcast

Broke My Fork

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
Im REALLY bumming right now. I just did and oil and seal change on my 2007 Fox Float 32 RLC, and the threaded part of the inner fork snapped off when I tightened the lower nut. I had my torque wrench set to 5.5 nm, but it clearly isn't accurate.

I snapped the threaded part off of the inner fork. Thinking it was a fluke, and since it was already broke, I tried the other side, and it broke too. Clearly I did a stupid thing.

Where can I get replacement parts for this fork? IM super bummed because its getting harder and harder to get a 1-1/8 straight steer tube fork with a QR axle.

Are parts available for this?

At the same time, I found that my Thomsen stem had a huge crack on the bottom... when it rains it pours....

IMG_2364.JPG
IMG_2365.JPG

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It's a 2007 32, if you can afford to I would retire it, especially if it has been ridden hard.

Nice work on the stem, they usually crack on the face plate.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
@Blown240 - double check that your torque wrench is set to nm, and not ft-lb.

Also ... not 100% sure, but I think you can order any fork from Fox with a legacy straight steerer tube/csu. ask your shop to call them?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Know who hates dinosauric, unrideabru 26" wheeled forks more than God? No one mutha fucker...the sky daddy has made his will clear: time to switch to Ben Hur chariot wheels or at least go with "29 minus" hoops.

As for the stem, leave it and fix it with this:

Seriously tho, glad that stem didn't give way in an inopportune moment (versus an opportune moment for a stem to fail).

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
Thanks for the replies... The serious and the funny are appreciated.

I cant afford to get a newer bike at this point, but I sure do wish it wasn't a straight steerer tube. The Bike is an 07 Yeti 575.

I was just out riding with my kids yesterday. Im really glad the stem didnt fail. I would have left an 8 year old and a 10 year old 5 miles from the car on a trail they have never been on. Would have been REALLY bad. I went over the whole bike a few months ago, checking for cracks and wear.... Time to do it again!

And time to replace my torque wrench...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I had a bike shop do that to a friends Fox 32 the day before a race, snapped the bottom of the damper putting it back together after a service. Cue mad rush to find a 1 1/8 steerer 29er fork in stock at any store within range of Park City.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I was just out riding with my kids yesterday. Im really glad the stem didnt fail. I would have left an 8 year old and a 10 year old 5 miles from the car on a trail they have never been on. Would have been REALLY bad.
Yeah, but if that happened I would have fully supported your decision to take their bike and ride out yourself.