Quantcast

Broken helmet

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i slapped my head into some concrete this weekend, kinda hard. Thank goodness i was wearing a helmet.

But i broke it. Its a Bell. Can i send it back to them and get a new one for free?

do helmets come with warrenties?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There are no free helmet crash replacement.

I think Bell gives you 20% off a new helmet, but don't have the dealer literature right in front of me.

Warranties, for helmets, bikes, or parts, only cover failure from normal "wear and tear". If the shell came separated or a strap tore, you could get a warranty replacement. It never covers crashes.

And I am in the same boat. I had a brand new Decibel helmet on its first ride, and I caught a low lying branch. Destroyed my helmet on its maiden ride.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
sanjuro said:
And I am in the same boat. I had a brand new Decibel helmet on its first ride, and I caught a low lying branch. Destroyed my helmet on its maiden ride.

Oooh man - that has gotta hurt the wallet. Those Decibels look nice - but they don't fit my head well at all.

I picked up an older Specialized M1 - new old stock - 50 percent off original price - last night. Let's hope it lasts me a while.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
boostindoubles said:
i slapped my head into some concrete this weekend, kinda hard. Thank goodness i was wearing a helmet.

But i broke it. Its a Bell. Can i send it back to them and get a new one for free?

do helmets come with warrenties?
That's a good reason to wear $15 skate lid/dj helmets on concrete...just throw 'em out and buy a new one. Save your $100 vented mtb/xc helmets for trail use when you have to pedal. Then destroy them on low-hanging branches.

Crash replacement might be possible, but you'll have to see if they require proof of purchase or product registration to make it happen...

MD

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
MikeD said:
That's a good reason to wear $15 skate lid/dj helmets on concrete...just throw 'em out and buy a new one. Save your $100 vented mtb/xc helmets for trail use when you have to pedal. Then destroy them on low-hanging branches.

Crash replacement might be possible, but you'll have to see if they require proof of purchase or product registration to make it happen...

MD

i picked mine up on a swap for a mini fridge i had left over from the dorms in college, and it served its purpose well.

any good skate-style helmets out there?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
boostindoubles said:
i picked mine up on a swap for a mini fridge i had left over from the dorms in college, and it served its purpose well.

any good skate-style helmets out there?
They're all about the same, really...just find one that fits. I like my Bell Scuffle. 661s seem easy to find and cheap, too.

They tend to be one-size fits all, with three sets of pads for s,m,l heads...but they're not all the same shape. Luckily, you can mix and match pads to make them fit your head shape, too.

MD

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I noticed Specialized has 3 sizes for their Deuce, but I hear Protec are the best.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
I dont have it yet but I think I am gonna pick up a Bell Faction Helmet. You may want to try one on. They aren't like the disposable skate lids but they look like em. Little more padding and a little heavier than a 20 dollar skatelid. Checked one out at the LBS and it fit nice, felt strong...