Quantcast

Broken internally hosted images

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What's weird is the images are "there", e.g. if I quote reply a broken image post, the images show in the edit window.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, unfortunately after investigation this is out of my hands - the logs show some of the caching is breaking because there are disk capacity issues. I've notified the server infrastructure team, will let you know what I hear back.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah, unfortunately after investigation this is out of my hands - the logs show some of the caching is breaking because there are disk capacity issues. I've notified the server infrastructure team, will let you know what I hear back.
Could something like administratively deleting the random image thread or old gif thread free up some space, or is it impossible to actually "delete" the data from the database using the admin tools?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Disk issues have been resolved and things are loading normally now.

@6thElement I try to not get into the game of "what can I delete to free up space." Partly because disk space is relatively cheap and deleting content to make space, on a site whose entire value is user-generated content, isn't a great tradeoff. But also partly because it's just flat-out difficult to take bulk actions like that in very targeted ways - for example, if I delete the GIF thread, probably 80% of those are linked and not attachments, so they won't massively improve disk space. If I use the admin interface to snipe attachments directly, it's hard to target just things that you know are unused (at least, it's hard to do in a bulk way).

E.g. if I sort by large attachments in the admin interface, I find this large race flier which is old and probably isn't providing any value, but I also find this amazing picture of Westy's dog and tons of biking photos. I always err on this side of keeping things since a lot of our incoming traffic is from Google search results.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Same issue as last time. I'm on it. Will do a little poking around to see if there's a reason our disk space is growing.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I can't upload photos that have been cropped with the Windows Photos app, it forced me to finally switch to a different program. I should have done that a long time ago, Windows photos did not play nice with my computer and would often use loads of resources even after closing it.
So, thanks I guess......

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've temporarily disabled the image proxy functionality of the forum while we work on why it broke a couple months ago - the cache suddenly started growing by many GB per week without stopping, seemingly for no reason.

This may/will result in any external images hosted on HTTP sites to appear missing or broken on browsers which don't allow mixed content (e.g. Chrome). Once the issue is resolved, I'll switch the proxy back on.

Now that the proxy is disabled, please post here if the issues persist.