Quantcast

Broken Jaw, food options?

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
so i recently broke my jaw while riding my bicycle, (30mph into pavement headfirst) got outa surgery yesterday, obtained some titainium in my chin, 13 stches, 6 chipped teeth and alot of roadrash. but i was wondering if you fellow monkeys have been in my situation and what kind of liquified food worked well since i cant open my mouth and am gettin pretty hungary. thanks

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
Sorry man, that sux. I've never been in your situation, but Jamba Juice smoothies are pretty filling so that might be an option for you. You should also PM GoneFireFightin he just broke his jaw as well, maybe you guys can trade tips. Good luck and heal up soon.

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
never broken my jaw, but had a wreck that resulted in a lots of stiches (both in and outside my mouth) and a couple chipped teeth. It was pretty difficult to chew for about a week. I drank a lot of milkshakes. If your concerned about your figure this probably isn't a great longterm diet.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Pizza with Campbells tomato soup.
Hamburgers with tomato soup.
If you have a good blender you can eat anything you want... just add tomato soup or milk, depending on the food.
I lost a ton of weight when I had a broken jaw at first. Then I discovered tomato soup and pizza and gained my weight back.

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
thanks guys, yeah i also heard if you put a happy meal into a blender, soda and all its pretty good too. kanter ill be trying those when some of the pain goes away, ill put up some pictures too of before surgery to really gross you all out.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I am in the same boat right now, for the 3rd time,

heres what works for me,

applesauce
go gurt
taco bell quesadillas
cup o noodles
fresh baked choc chip cookies
tuna melts
mc donalds milk shakes
oatmeal

those are the things i primarily eat when i am wired up.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
yeah most of the food blended...and since u will lose weight eitherway, just add some milk cream to the mix so it will be more liquid and not get a weird taste like if you would blend a big mac with some coke.
try protein shakes too-

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
in any case a helmet would not have saved me unless it was a full face, i have no concusion or anythin, plus when your ridin around on the street who ever really wears a full face? it doesnt matter anyways, it already happened.

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
just look up "will it blend" on you tube.......good stuff......

this one looks really good

but seriously........get well soon, and good luck.......

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
i actually "HAD" my jaw broken when i was a kid... something to do with my lower jaw not growing as far as my upper jaw, so they "broke" it to extend my lower jaw to align better w/ the top... it wasn't anything where it impeded (sp?) my health, it was elective.

anyway, with that said, i had my jaw wired shut for quite some time & had to find similar avenues to eat. I know pretty much what the doc said, whatever ya can fit in the blender, you can eat! lol... some of the stuff was good... A LOT was bad!

stuff i remember eating... or "trying"
- Chicken & BBQ sauce (in a blender)... this was actually my favorite
- Mashed Potato & Gravy
- Applesauce
- Soup.... lots of soup!
- Stew ..blended
- Jello
- Pudding
- Spagetti (blended)
- I even tried varieties of Baby Food (some were HORRIBLE!.... no wonder kids throw that back up! blah!)

If you had your jaw wired shut like mine, be prepared for a NAAAAAASTY taste in your mouth when they take the wires off, all that food that got stuck in your teeth, etc & you couldn't brush them! BLAH!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I got a water pic from Walmart. Id clean my teeth a couple times a day. If you dont your teeth become grey and you get bad breath. Go buy a water pic. They have them by the toothbrushes in any big store. They aren't cheap but they work good.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Protein Shakes (to make up fo rall that lost meat you dont want the blenderized version of)

Various soups (liquefied if chunky!)

Learn to enjoy vitamin water (or w/e)

Not speaking from experience, just siggesting - get better! Sounds crappY!

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Someone should take a picture of their mouth wired shut for all of us to look at and deside we will never go without a full face again!

Seriously though, I really want to see what it looks like...I couldnt imagen going to school with what I think it looks like.

P.S. Can you talk with your mouth wired shut?

But yeah man, bummer to hear. Get better soon, both of you!

Eggzoi

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Australia
Pretty much what has already been said, blend blend blend.

Mashed spud is good, milkshakes with heaps of ice cream and a huge helping of whatever protein powder you can get you hands on will be great.

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
baby food is great as quick snack if your out of reach of a blender, say at work or while travelling, some of the meat based stuff is pretty good, try to buy in bulk as buying single jars/tubs is expensive.

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
i had jaw surgery last summer and lost a total of 15 pounds in 4 weeks. my mouth was wired shut so tight that i could barely get yogurt into my mouth. but chocolate milk in large quantities is amazing.

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
Best diet ever, 14 pounds in a week and a half. :cool:

I hate blended food, so basically all I ate was soup through a straw and milk. It took me so long to eat a full meal I was tired by half of it.

Anyway, like said before "whatever ya can fit in the blender, you can eat!"

Hang in there!

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
really put some antibiotics on that roadrash, I cant quite tell how deep anything is, but ive got a fat scar on my face from my crash last year, and its been a pain going to diff doctors to see how we can get rid of it. lots and lots of antibiotics.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
really put some antibiotics on that roadrash, I cant quite tell how deep anything is, but ive got a fat scar on my face from my crash last year, and its been a pain going to diff doctors to see how we can get rid of it. lots and lots of antibiotics.
Word. I wrecked on my face a few weeks ago. Neosporin and vitamin E are your best friend.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
i had almost the same the happen...13 stiches, 2 chipped teeth and a cracked jaw...i lived off mashed potatoes, smoothies, and jello for 2 months

edit: also make sure you eat foods with high fat content and protein...cause after i was all healed up, i had lost about 20 pounds

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
ive been downing a lot of ensure and protien shakes, runny mashed potatos are workin, i got to wait a few more days i think before i can start with the thicker stuff, cause damn this hurts, but hey if i fall on my chin again maybe ill get lucky and have some sparks fly because of the ti plate now in my chin. that last part kinda rhymed maybe ill be like kanye west and make a song of it and make some $$$$. thanks for all the support and ideas guys really, this thread is helpin me tons. oh and if you can get like jumbo straws(the fat ones) food goes down quicker and makes it much less time consuming...its all about volume. annd, this coming tuesday i get the stiches out of my chin, so its progress. doc said i gotta be wired for four weeks so im happy bout that considering my jaw was literally split in half at my chin in addition to the breaks at the joints.