Quantcast

Broken wrist help!

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
yo,
looking for people with experience in breakin the navicular bone in their wrist....
the prognosis at the moment is 8 to 10 weeks in a cast and physical therapy....im hoping to see if anyone has had experience with this break, and how long it took them to heal and what kind of problems they had that came with it.

any help(or words of hope) would be greatly appreciated

thanks

axle

R

Rabie

Originally posted by axlvid23
yo,
looking for people with experience in breakin the navicular bone in their wrist....
the prognosis at the moment is 8 to 10 weeks in a cast and physical therapy....im hoping to see if anyone has had experience with this break, and how long it took them to heal and what kind of problems they had that came with it.

any help(or words of hope) would be greatly appreciated

thanks

axle
I broke mine August 30 and was in a cast until Oct 15. No physical therapy. It was a couple weeks before I could really do anything (door knobs, car ignition, etc.) and I had to take it really easy riding at first. Just when I thought I was close to 100%, I took a hard fall on it and basically had to start the recovery all over. I'm just now feeling good about it again. It hurts after rides, some more than others, but my strength feels like it's there, and mobility is not a problem. I do still wear a brace, though. From what I've been told, a lot depends on how/where the bone was broken, and your natural ability to heal. Some people get lucky, while others have serious problems. My advice, if there's still time, is to make sure you get a gore-tex lined cast. I didn't, and the thing got really funky. Really funky. Also, when the cast comes off, think about everything before you do it. Like how you're pushing yourself out of a chair, how you're picking up a pint, etc. Sometimes you'll automatically do something simple, and really hurt yourself. Be patient. Good luck.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I broke my rist this past summer not sure what bones they were, can;t remember. Anyways anytime a rist is held in a cast for anytime they lock up really easily and it loads of painful physio to get full range of motion back. It's totally normal now. It was awful racing on the rist all summer which sucked cause i couldn't bend it back at all. Anyways best of luck with the healing.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
Originally posted by Rabie
I broke mine August 30 and was in a cast until Oct 15. No physical therapy. It was a couple weeks before I could really do anything (door knobs, car ignition, etc.) and I had to take it really easy riding at first. Just when I thought I was close to 100%, I took a hard fall on it and basically had to start the recovery all over. I'm just now feeling good about it again. It hurts after rides, some more than others, but my strength feels like it's there, and mobility is not a problem. I do still wear a brace, though. From what I've been told, a lot depends on how/where the bone was broken, and your natural ability to heal. Some people get lucky, while others have serious problems. My advice, if there's still time, is to make sure you get a gore-tex lined cast. I didn't, and the thing got really funky. Really funky. Also, when the cast comes off, think about everything before you do it. Like how you're pushing yourself out of a chair, how you're picking up a pint, etc. Sometimes you'll automatically do something simple, and really hurt yourself. Be patient. Good luck.
thanks for your help............was it a fracture or did you break it clean in half?.....missed out on my chance for the gor-tex cast, but ive found that some "odorbegone" (for shoes) seems to keep it bearable

R

Rabie

thanks for your help............was it a fracture or did you break it clean in half?.....missed out on my chance for the gor-tex cast, but ive found that some "odorbegone" (for shoes) seems to keep it bearable
It was a non-displaced fracture. And it wasn't just the odor that got me. It was more the sticky, gunky feeling inside. Have fun with that.

teambender

Chimp
Jan 11, 2004
Casa de Motionboy
Broke the navicular in half clean and shattered my ulnar lengthwise when I came up short on a double on my dirt bike. My prognosis was 3 to 4 mo. in a cast and maybe surgery if the navicular was unable to graft itself back together.

I see your in Littleton, CO -- I too was in CO at the time mine was broken and I worked with the Physiotherapy Association in Englewood along with Dr. Thomas Mordick (he he). I owe my quick recovery all to them -- I was out of my cast in 2 mo and was done with physical therapy w/in another mo. All w/o surgery!

Some of the things I found that helped was:

1. For the first mo I wore a full arm (bicep) cast. This meant the cast started at my thumb and went all the way to my arm pit with my arm bent into a 90 degree angle. Dr Mordick recommended this due to the fact that he said studies have shown that the less movement in the arm speeds up the healing time. I guess its due to the fact that you're less likely to use your arm (read: keep it quiet) when its in a cast that big! Let me tell you wearing that cast was a bitch -- I was glad to get the cast cut down to a forearm cast after that first mo.

2. If you've got good med insurance, get the cast changed often. I'd get my cast changed whenever it got loose due to the shrinkage in my arm.

3. Obviously, do all of the physical therapy you can. I really think that this helped me immensly, for I did not experience any of the pain or issues like the posters did above. The only thing that I needed to do was work on building my forearm strength again after the cast was off for good.

4. Don't get bummed. It may seem like a long time but it will be off before you know it. My cast became a great conversation piece and I was even the best man in a wedding while I was in my bicep cast! It was quite comical really...Keep your head up and try to ride a stationary bike to keep in shape. I did this and I think it helped mentally as well as physically!

The day that I broke mine, I drank a case of beer to starve off the pain that night only to sleep in a tent (I was in Crested Butte) and wait until 10:30 pm the following day before I went to the ER. I point this out not to sound macho, but rather to state I did everything that you shouldn't do and my wrist heled just fine. I'm positive yours will too.
:D

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
Originally posted by teambender
Broke the navicular in half clean and shattered my ulnar lengthwise when I came up short on a double on my dirt bike. My prognosis was 3 to 4 mo. in a cast and maybe surgery if the navicular was unable to graft itself back together.

I see your in Littleton, CO -- I too was in CO at the time mine was broken and I worked with the Physiotherapy Association in Englewood along with Dr. Thomas Mordick (he he). I owe my quick recovery all to them -- I was out of my cast in 2 mo and was done with physical therapy w/in another mo. All w/o surgery!

Some of the things I found that helped was:

1. For the first mo I wore a full arm (bicep) cast. This meant the cast started at my thumb and went all the way to my arm pit with my arm bent into a 90 degree angle. Dr Mordick recommended this due to the fact that he said studies have shown that the less movement in the arm speeds up the healing time. I guess its due to the fact that you're less likely to use your arm (read: keep it quiet) when its in a cast that big! Let me tell you wearing that cast was a bitch -- I was glad to get the cast cut down to a forearm cast after that first mo.

2. If you've got good med insurance, get the cast changed often. I'd get my cast changed whenever it got loose due to the shrinkage in my arm.

3. Obviously, do all of the physical therapy you can. I really think that this helped me immensly, for I did not experience any of the pain or issues like the posters did above. The only thing that I needed to do was work on building my forearm strength again after the cast was off for good.

4. Don't get bummed. It may seem like a long time but it will be off before you know it. My cast became a great conversation piece and I was even the best man in a wedding while I was in my bicep cast! It was quite comical really...Keep your head up and try to ride a stationary bike to keep in shape. I did this and I think it helped mentally as well as physically!

The day that I broke mine, I drank a case of beer to starve off the pain that night only to sleep in a tent (I was in Crested Butte) and wait until 10:30 pm the following day before I went to the ER. I point this out not to sound macho, but rather to state I did everything that you shouldn't do and my wrist heled just fine. I'm positive yours will too.
:D
Thanks for the help!
how long was it until your wrist felt normal on the bike again?
or did the physical therapy take care of that?
thanks again

Axle

teambender

Chimp
Jan 11, 2004
Casa de Motionboy
I broke it late in the year, and by the time I was out of the cast it was snowboard season.

I can say this -- my arm felt like a piece of spaghetti after it was right out of the cast, just like rabie said, you "baby" it a bit after regaining full mobility. But after a mo. I was doing all kinds of stuff with it w/ no issues whatsoever. Just keep up on the PT and you'll be OK...

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
Originally posted by teambender
I broke it late in the year, and by the time I was out of the cast it was snowboard season.

I can say this -- my arm felt like a piece of spaghetti after it was right out of the cast, just like rabie said, you "baby" it a bit after regaining full mobility. But after a mo. I was doing all kinds of stuff with it w/ no issues whatsoever. Just keep up on the PT and you'll be OK...
alright....thanks for the help:)

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
alright....thanks for the help:)
Mitzel123 might have some good info on this as he's spent the last 9 months with wrist injuries, surgeries, and various casts/braces/whatnot...