Quantcast

Brosnan leads Monster Energy / Specialized / Mad Catz team to success in Windham

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Troy Brosnan (Monster Energy / Specialized / Mad Catz) continued his run as the fastest junior on the World Cup circuit at round five in Windham, New York, in the United States on July 8-10. The current junior world champion finished an impressive eighth place in the finals on Sunday while his teammate Brendan Fairclough placed 21st.</p><p>
</p><p>
Brosnan finished just 4.811 seconds behind winner Aaron Gwin on a track that was short and fast in hot and humid conditions. Riders struggled to stay cool under sweltering conditions as they negotiated a dusty track that was not as technical as most of the European tracks. After getting up to speed by the first corner, Windham's track was like a freeway all the way to the finish line, with rocks, roots and large gaps.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I had big mistake at the top, but I kinda threw it all together down below. I came down and got eighth which wasn't too bad, but I kinda wish I was up there a bit more," said the Australian Brosnan, who pedalled like a man possessed down the last section under the chairlift.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I still have some races to come, so I have to take some time off now and come back strong, I reckon," he said.</p><p>
</p><p>
Great Britain's Fairclough is working on getting back up to speed following his early season knee injury, and is slowly regaining form as the season progresses. In 21st place in the finals, he was 7.360 seconds slower than the winner. </p><p>
</p><p>
"I felt pretty good at the top and my hand came off the bar. I had a bit of a moment," said Fairclough. "Once I got it back on, I rode a bit tight and not as good as I know I can, but that's my only excuse. Apart from that it was a pretty fun weekend here in New York."</p><p>
</p><p>
"I'm happy to be riding my bike again! I pedalled this week, but I didn't ride like I know I can."</p><p>
</p><p>
The Monster Energy / Specialized / Mad Catz team was still without top rider Sam Hill, who is recovering from an injury and subsequent shoulder surgery.</p><p>
</p><p>
Qualifying</p><p>
</p><p>
Lightning stopped the chairlifts and delayed qualifying by about an hour on Friday. Rain caused the track to rut up and the rocks to show, turning a once smooth line through the woods into a wheel smashing contest of epic proportions. </p><p>
</p><p>
Brosnan qualified fourth, a career best. He was just 6.973 seconds behind top qualifier Gwin. Fairclough's qualifying run put him 11.262 seconds behind Gwin, good enough for a solid 22nd place.</p><p>
</p><p>
World Cup standings</p><p>
</p><p>
After round five in Windham, New York, Brosnan sits in 11th in the World Cup standings with 424 points to leader Gwin's 1118. Brosnan is the top-ranked junior rider. Fairclough is in 41st place in the standings and has worked his way up to a total of 178 points.</p><p>
</p><p>
Monster Energy / Specialized / Mad Catz's Brosnan and Fairclough will head next to Whistler, British Columbia, Canada for the Crankworx Festival. Both will contest the Garbanzo and Canadian Open Downhill events.</p>

More...