Quantcast

brown baggers

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
what do yall take to work/skewl for lunch?
I have been roasting a whole bird every couple of weeks & taking sandwiches, along with homemade soup. I have recently started bringing a cup of salsa & chips that make an excellent snack & keep me out of the snack machine. Also leftovers are nice.

This weeks bird...
whole chicken basted with adobo garlic sauce. It was good but I should have brined it overnight.

just looking for some suggestions.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ham's good for making split pea soup too.

gotta get the wife crackin' on that one.

we roasted two chickens last week (stuffed a mix of butter, prosciutto and chopped savory, sage and rosemary under and on the skin) but i had that for dinner leftovers a couple of nights instead of lunch. i should bring in my lunch more often.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
sliver talking about coucous in the other thread reminded me that i used to make a whole box of the far east (i think that is the brand :think: ) couscous & saute a chicken breast & that was a nice meal.

The coffee sucks Juan Valdez's asshole at work, so I usually take a tea bag or two.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I thought it was going to be about sipping brews out of a brown bag on the corner with your homies.

If I don't have leftovers, I usually pack a sandwich, pretzels, and an apple or orange.
Yesterday I had black beans and rice. :drool:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i cook something at the begining of the week that i can take every day for lunch. this week it was stuffed eggplant. last week, it was stuffed peppers. i make a thick veggie spagetti sauce with beans and tons of veggies that i have on a salad or over rice some weeks. sometimes when i get lazy and i don't want to cook i take salads every day. by the end of the week i am super sick of whatever i have been taking all week long so i hve to have something new every week. on fridays i like to take fried egg white sandwhiches. yum.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I take oatmeal for breakfast (I work out before come to work). For lunch it's usually what ever we had for dinner the night before. Before we eat I stick enough for tomorrows lunch in a tuperware. Oh, and a banana or apple. Sometimes I'll make a huge pot of veggie and bean stew and eat it though out the week.....Thank god for Beano!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i bring a tupperware filled with rice and either curry or unagi. but lately i've just been going home during lunch for my combined food + monkey fix.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
jell-o tip: if you take jell-o, keep it in the fridge until you are going to eat it or else it will be jell-o juice.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
this week I made about 12 burritos and froze them. now if I can just remember to grab them when I leave the house in the morning.

I made some veggie ones and some turkey/veggie ones.

Veggie mix:
Can of Black Beans, rinsed.
Can of corn, drained
red onion, diced.
red pepper, diced.
cumin, to taste.
lime juice, to taste.
salt/pepper.

Meat mix:
ground turkey
cumin
chilli powder
salt/pepper
corriander
any other spices you like
chicken stock.

I used flour tortillas, heated up in the oven to make them easier to fold.

add a little bit of cheese, wrap them up and freeze in bags.

Yummy! (when I remember to actually bring them with me..:))