Quantcast

Brussels...

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
While right wing nutjobs the world over are delightfully milking this event for political gain before the bodies are even cold, here are some more reasonable words from the Guardian:

Simon Jenkins:
The blanket media coverage assured for any act of violence is reckless. The media must “report”, but it need not go berserk in revelling in the violence caused, as it manifestly has done to Islamic State brutality. More serious, the intention of the terrorist is clearly to shut down western society, to show liberal democracy to be a sham and to invoke the persecution of Muslims. Yet that is the invariable response of the security industry to these incidents. Convinced of its potency, it dare not admit there are some things against which it cannot protect us. So when incidents occur it jerks the knee and demands ever more money and ever more power. It must not be given them.

Jason Burke:
Any threat from Islamic militants to Europe may rise and fall, but does not disappear when a single figure is arrested, however much he was sought. The “major blow” struck on Friday, as senior policymakers called it, now looks less major.

The second is that both terrorists and those trying to stop them seek to keep the initiative. This has a practical and a psychological aspect. For counter-terrorism agencies, the aim is to get information fast enough to mount raids and sweep up suspects before they even have time to work out who among them has been picked up and who might have talked, let alone plan a new strike. Networks quickly fall apart under such relentless pressure, as was shown in Iraq in the middle of the last decade.

For the terrorists, the aim is to show they can still terrorise, mobilise and polarise with violence. This is not so much about revenge, but simply demonstrating a continued capability. They may be down but, they are saying, they are not out.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
jesus H.

i fucking loved belgium. other than flying in and out of brussels, spent a day there. visited the royal museum of fine arts, had beers and dinner in the town square and watched the finish of a bike race. was a good day.

this nonsense. fuck.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Talking with a buddy at work about this. I know ISIS really wants to start a religious war and this is how they are going to get the West to militarize, but how thoroughly have they thought this through?

The last time the West fully militarized was WW2 and we willingly wiped out over one million (ex concentration camps) of our own people in the process. If the West were to fully militarize into the ME... fuck all that would be messy. At what point does a country like Russia just completely wipe out a large population city? What effect does that have on the population of the region? I think it's beyond a powder keg at this point already...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Good think we don't care about the brownish folks in Turkey or you people would have been really upset about the recent bombings in Ankara.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Talking with a buddy at work about this. I know ISIS really wants to start a religious war and this is how they are going to get the West to militarize, but how thoroughly have they thought this through?

The last time the West fully militarized was WW2 and we willingly wiped out over one million (ex concentration camps) of our own people in the process. If the West were to fully militarize into the ME... fuck all that would be messy. At what point does a country like Russia just completely wipe out a large population city? What effect does that have on the population of the region? I think it's beyond a powder keg at this point already...
That's what they want though. It's prophesy of some sort for these a-holes. Not only do they get the "end-times" war with the west they think is coming, but they would also get to "prove" that the western world is against them. It's bad enough to have the forces that are there already, never mind an even bigger show of force.

While right wing nutjobs the world over are delightfully milking this event for political gain before the bodies are even cold,
http://qz.com/643497/we-are-witnessing-the-rise-of-global-authoritarianism-on-a-chilling-scale/

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Yup, been sowing shit over there for a century now.
Looks like the shit has grown a real nice crop of people to whom "collateral" damage is a bit more personal.
We seem to care so little when we toast a whole wedding party and most of the guests, but when they say fuck it and toss a little back our way -well we all then lose our shit 24/7 and ramp up the same process that got us here in the first place. Add in a good dalop of my sky-fairy is bigger than yours, simmer well and serve to the west nice and hot. Hope you all are hungry...

Spelin mzkake fixd fer pedant @stoney :dirol:

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yup, been sewing shit over there for a century now.
Looks like the shit has grown a real nice crop of people to whom "collateral" damage is a bit more personal.
We seem to care so little when we toast a whole wedding party and most of the guests, but when they say fuck it and toss a little back our way -well we all then lose our shit 24/7 and ramp up the same process that got us here in the first place. Add in a good dalop of my sky-fairy is bigger than yours, simmer well and serve to the west nice and hot. Hope you all are hungry...
Sow. You sow crops. You sew clothes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ok, we bomb them some moar, but I can still get my oil, right?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Geez, take it easy asshole. Poor guy is Canadian. Freedum® isn't even his first language.
Educating in a safe environment. What would happen if he made that error in the real world? Embarrassment. That's what would happen.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Educating in a safe environment. What would happen if he made that error in the real world? Embarrassment. That's what would happen.
Shit dude - I really didn't know that when y'all talked down there, that you spelled out your conversation.
Must take a while - as well, do you write the letters all down - or can you remember them all in the correct order to parse them into a sentence internally?

Thanks for the heads up - you saved me a pile of embarrassment :shocked::thumb: