Quantcast

BS of the highest order

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
What the what?

I'm in the wrong business. Both the literature and the diagram of where these milk carton cutouts can assist on a DH bike have my brain wanting to jump out of my cranium and drown itself.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have been an audiophool for some years ( Naim equipment if you must know)
This is known in audio circles as Foo.

There has been fortunes made on the gullible.
I have seen
coloured dots
stones (as in polished rocks)
machined metal whatsits
little bridges for your cables
magic markers for cd's
cd demagnetizer (let that sink in for a minute)

They all seem to be claimed to work on some algorithm(s) based upon magnets, wave lines, natural harmonics and any other psudo-scientific gobbly-gook they can find in fringe publications.

And they all claim to make your system sound much better.

Until I see some real independent bill-nye explanation on what they claim is going on I call Foo.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That's nothing new. It accomplishes two things.

1) Adding a specific mass between two known nodes of vibration, lowering the natural frequency of whatever is oscillating.

2) The epoxy is a damper. You can actually measure small amounts of heat being generated in the material then quickly fading away if you have the tools for it.

I've used similar things in precision optics stages and flexure systems before, or any aluminum fixture that takes sensitive accelerometer data and is picking up "ringing". Works remarkably well when done right. About time someone put the thought into applying that to mtb frames. I've always been shocked at how much oscillation there is throughout most mtb frames that could easily be massed/damped out.

Same concept as putting small slugs of weight into the ends of your bars to reduce arm pump and cut down on the high frequency shaking. Works great on dirt bikes for long distance rides. No different here.

Edit: Their literature is horseshit though. It seems they recommend sticking these things in the middle of fork stanchions. I can't make any sense of their explanations either - so that's REALLY bad. If they actually understood what it was doing, they would be able to competently explain this to someone with little/no prior knowledge.

Edit #2: The price is also also basically an insult. You could do the same thing with a whole slew of different materials. 10 seconds of Google searching yields this, which I know to work well: https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho-zeal-vibration-absorption-gyro-reciever-mounting-gel-1-sheet-kyoz8006/p19713?gclid=Cj0KEQjwwYK8BRC0ta6LhOPC0v0BEiQApv6jYUeYN-gM48ebXzfos2u25ARkIU8UFNpcGj0row3Ukz0aAk-n8P8HAQ

Last edited:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Better oil flow? Reduces heat? Works at the atomic level? More traction? Maintaining a line better?

Come on. There's not an ounce of truth behind what they're doing here. It's totally unrelated to anything grounded in reality.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That's nothing new. It accomplishes two things.

1) Adding a specific mass between two known nodes of vibration, lowering the natural frequency of whatever is oscillating.

2) The epoxy is a damper. You can actually measure small amounts of heat being generated in the material then quickly fading away if you have the tools for it.

I've used similar things in precision optics stages and flexure systems before, or any aluminum fixture that takes sensitive accelerometer data and is picking up "ringing". Works remarkably well when done right. About time someone put the thought into applying that to mtb frames. I've always been shocked at how much oscillation there is throughout most mtb frames that could easily be massed/damped out.

Same concept as putting small slugs of weight into the ends of your bars to reduce arm pump and cut down on the high frequency shaking. Works great on dirt bikes for long distance rides. No different here.

Edit: Their literature is horseshit though. It seems they recommend sticking these things in the middle of fork stanchions. I can't make any sense of their explanations either - so that's REALLY bad. If they actually understood what it was doing, they would be able to competently explain this to someone with little/no prior knowledge.

Edit #2: The price is also also basically an insult. You could do the same thing with a whole slew of different materials. 10 seconds of Google searching yields this, which I know to work well: https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho-zeal-vibration-absorption-gyro-reciever-mounting-gel-1-sheet-kyoz8006/p19713?gclid=Cj0KEQjwwYK8BRC0ta6LhOPC0v0BEiQApv6jYUeYN-gM48ebXzfos2u25ARkIU8UFNpcGj0row3Ukz0aAk-n8P8HAQ
So - Tire: better rolling performance, more traction is explained how exactly?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
So - Tire: better rolling performance, more traction is explained how exactly?
Well, I don't know about all that, but putting it on the tire COULD reduce some of the acoustics in the tire/tube...theoretically.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
a month a go, me and a friend wanted to make a video of attaching some kind of small plastic to the rear shock. and telling everyone that it make the oil work better..... and see if people are fools... wow....
looks like the big brother can read thoughts....

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Are athletes still wearing those magnetic power bracelets and necklaces that look like childrens' gumball machine jewelry?

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
:close:
(Not sure what this emoticon says in russian, let's assume it says: "What's that fucking horseshit I just read?")

QED this, diffraction that, atomic disorder creation, ... Pffft! Come on now!

If it works, they should easily be able to prove it instead of just claiming some crap. Ex: Measure the hub drag reduction when such a sticker is applied at the center of the hub.

Pseudo-science is already rampant in society, with facetwit and other social media platforms helping gullible peoples contaminating others with crap that makes no sense disguised as science facts. I can understand that healing rocks, homeopathy, detox BS treatments, superfoods, body pH regulation through weird diets, etc can be easy to sell to idiots having no scientific background! I cannot however understand how a WC level team can fall for this. It's a disgrace and I hope that Commençal Team gets laughed at for several years because of that.

:tinfoil::no::rofl:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Are athletes still wearing those magnetic power bracelets and necklaces that look like childrens' gumball machine jewelry?
Gee Atherton does.

There's also a lot of "physio tape" in use as well. More complete horse doody.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
+major props for convincing people to add weight to their bikes.
I think this sums up the amount of BS we -as a society- are able to swallow.

Next step:

Shouldn't this be mounted between two surfaces in order to dampen the vibrations?

Last edited:

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
Commencal is one of the biggest teams heavily invested in data acquisition, are they not? Those stickers look like wireless strain gauges, and they're not placed where you'd kill vibrations, but where you'd want to acquire data.

Elaborate deception/practical joke?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
There's also a lot of "physio tape" in use as well. More complete horse doody.
While I think the use of physio tape is out of control, I have a shoulder that benefits greatly from being taped. I don't use physio tape though, I just use athletic tape, it pulls it into place nicely, I usually do it for about 2-3 hours per week in total and it feels much better afterwards.

I don't use it while I'm riding though.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Commencal is one of the biggest teams heavily invested in data acquisition, are they not? Those stickers look like wireless strain gauges, and they're not placed where you'd kill vibrations, but where you'd want to acquire data.

Elaborate deception/practical joke?
I have seen wireless strain gauge for concrete but they are very bulky compared to the stamp size stickers found on Commencal's bike. Can they really be that small?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
this kind of bullshit has been rampant in the audiophile industry for years. bold, yet unquantifiable claims sold with heaps of obfuscated nonsensical jargon. to wit: a pretty $200 pack of quantum stickers:

http://recordclean.com.au/telos-quantum-x2-stickers.html

i'd be more easily convinced of the performance benefit of googly eyes - ie, the mobile inner elements acting as anti vibration counterweights. or something. for you, $5 a piece. stick them everywhere and embrace the smoothness.

Last edited: