Quantcast

BS of the highest order

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
It looks like a viscoelastic tape from 3M (~100$ for 1"x60yd roll) :think: It basically converts the vibration into heat, but I'm having trouble with the size of those patches on that bike, because damping performance of such a tape is
also dependent on the geometry, mass, stiffness and the temperature (!) of the object to which it is applied...

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
While I think the use of physio tape is out of control, I have a shoulder that benefits greatly from being taped. I don't use physio tape though, I just use athletic tape, it pulls it into place nicely, I usually do it for about 2-3 hours per week in total and it feels much better afterwards.

I don't use it while I'm riding though.
Understood. I think there's a basis in reality there, though. These stickers are just... stickers.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
I have seen wireless strain gauge for concrete but they are very bulky compared to the stamp size stickers found on Commencal's bike. Can they really be that small?
The one's for concrete don't really need to be small, since bridges aren't hurting for extra space. We used a couple in a lab that were around this size, but they were also really, really expensive. Like 3k a sensor expensive. That was 5 years ago though, so maybe the price has come down.

Dunno, just trying to think of any other explanation other than someone at Commencal bought into this woo lock stock and barrel.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
The one's for concrete don't really need to be small, since bridges aren't hurting for extra space. We used a couple in a lab that were around this size, but they were also really, really expensive. Like 3k a sensor expensive. That was 5 years ago though, so maybe the price has come down.

Dunno, just trying to think of any other explanation other than someone at Commencal bought into this woo lock stock and barrel.
Ok,interesting indeed!
I didn't know they could be that small.
How do you pick the data from those? Is it real time or you just get max strain after your run?

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
Ok,interesting indeed!
I didn't know they could be that small.
How do you pick the data from those? Is it real time or you just get max strain after your run?
It was real time, but now that you mention it the sampling rate was pretty slow, 5 or 10 points a second, something like that. Thinking on it, that's, nowhere near fast enough for this application.

Hmmm.... kinda doubting the strain gauge now.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
It was real time, but now that you mention it the sampling rate was pretty slow, 5 or 10 points a second, something like that. Thinking on it, that's, nowhere near fast enough for this application.

Hmmm.... kinda doubting the strain gauge now.
Ok, even if they had improved tenfold over the last yeats that would still not be enough...
Thank you for teaching me something!