Quantcast

"Budget engineering" sure is kool!

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Yeah, those forks often have months or years on them to get to that point. These Stance forks have been breaking in weeks.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just like the Z.150 that there was such a huge controversy over when it cracked in half after a couple weeks? :rolleyes:

I'm exiting this thread immediately, as it will be nothing but a bunch of Marzocchi die-hards who flaunt their brand loyalty as if it's some kind of ridiculous badge of honor.

If you'd like to believe that a couple of pictures of cracked forks proves that Manitou is a great big steaming pile of poo, that's absolutely your decision. Me, I'd rather know the whole story, which, like the Z.150 story, usually involves excessive abuse and/or misuse.

Cheers.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
Stance forks SUCK. If you havnt owned one then you dont know. I owned one. Now I dont. Now i have a Marzocchi again and im happy. Can you put a price on my happyness? I cant. Zocchi fo' eva'.

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
binary visions said:
If you'd like to believe that a couple of pictures of cracked forks proves that Manitou is a great big steaming pile of poo, that's absolutely your decision. Me, I'd rather know the whole story, which, like the Z.150 story, usually involves excessive abuse and/or misuse.

Cheers.
Well we knew that Z150 had been nose-dived off a 10ft ledge and crashed.

As for the kingpin, not too sure exactly what happened. However, I know several people with stance satatics on street bikes, and the forks have just slowly bent, not from a single incident.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Mattoid said:
Stance forks SUCK. If you havnt owned one then you dont know. I owned one. Now I dont. Now i have a Marzocchi again and im happy. Can you put a price on my happyness? I cant. Zocchi fo' eva'.
I wanted to buy your jumper to replace my stanceoid... oh wellz.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have been very happy with my kingpin. its saved my 260 ass more than once now. i have done up to 10' drops on it (on a hardtail). i would have loved to see the wrecks that caused the above failures. the single crown looks like a 50/50 landing and i have know idea how the other one broke. alsoi have broken 3 forks of my own. crushed the bushings in one (don't really know how) and cracked the crowns on 2 others. btw none were a manituo

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Mattoid said:
I wonder how the 06 stance lineup will compare to this years?

at this point, its hard to say. They've had so many problems this year, they may never get past it.

As Punkassean said, "Manitou was set to take over the world with the stance line, and they blew it"

Hopefully Manitou takes this to heart and fixes the problem.

I have one more Manitou complaint. Their customer service sucks! I've owned a Marzocchi DJ fork, and after 2 years of pure abuse the crown started to crack. I sent it in, and they fixed it for free. Then they offered to sell me the 05 model for $100 as part of their frequent buyer program. I declined it because I was worried about the weight. I went with a Sherman flick instead. It was the most expensive mistake I ever made!!!

on the 2nd ride the crown on the flick broke due to what manitou called a "manufactureing defect" after a month of botched warranty issues with manitou they sent me an 05 Nixon to make up for my loss. Granted it was a nice fork, but not what I needed for my riding style. Even after I explained to them on the phone that I dirt jump, ride skate parks, and occasionally ride freeride type trails. I traded that fork to Squarewheels for a stance static. 1st it didn't come with the recall upgrade. 2nd the seals leaked, and it wouldn't hold air. They fixed the upgrade, and reluctantly replaced the seals although they tried to tell me it was my fault, even though I never inflated it past 20 psi, and it reccommends up to 35!

I was so fed up with manitou I went out and bought an 05 fox vanilla, which is great! And their customer service is perfect. (I just ordered stiffer spings)

my stance is now fixed, and in good working order with brand new seals, and the recall upgrade installed.

If anyone wants it, its yours for $150.00

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
My Black elite has been riden hard for 3 years. 6 ft drops to flat, dirt jumps, lots of urban. And i think i have only changed the oil once. The fork is solid.

Maybe because it doesnt have as much travel as the others. :think:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I like thw pic of thew broken dropout. If the owner says it had nothing to do with a roof rack, they are probably lying.

b-man

Chimp
May 25, 2002
ct
Are we just talking about the stance line here? Because all of my experience with other Manitou forks has been amazing, and my slider+ ('04) is incredible, I have no complaints. Having ridden quite a few marzocchi forks, I still prefer the feel of my manitou, but nonetheless I have also had better luck with the durability of the manitous. Every fork breaks, this is a brand new line. I expect (and hope) that they will fix it.

about the customer service issues: look at any customer service threads and they will either be a rant or a rave, many about the same company. An individual at a company does not make the customer service department, they may be having a ****ty day. Who knows.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
b-man said:
Are we just talking about the stance line here? Because all of my experience with other Manitou forks has been amazing, and my slider+ ('04) is incredible, I have no complaints. Having ridden quite a few marzocchi forks, I still prefer the feel of my manitou, but nonetheless I have also had better luck with the durability of the manitous. Every fork breaks, this is a brand new line. I expect (and hope) that they will fix it.

about the customer service issues: look at any customer service threads and they will either be a rant or a rave, many about the same company. An individual at a company does not make the customer service department, they may be having a ****ty day. Who knows.

they may be having a ****ty day but that doesnt excuse them from ruining their reputation...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
b-man said:
I've NEVER had a cooperative person on the phone at manitou for the past 7 years. And it's not the same guy/girl, single person etc. There is a very rigid structure that those "service" folks seem to have beaten into them during training that very clearly states what they will and will not help you with. It's like automated phone systems, except that instead of just being annoying, manitou is condescending, rude and then annoying. I could have given a rat's ass about that company until they started making shermans, which in my opinion are the only real option for hard street and dj beat downs. Unfortunately that means I've got to deal with their seemingly uninterested sales chumps.....which I've been unhappily doing for the last week. It's like I have to beg them to sell me parts.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Ive never dealt with manitou on the phone about tech support or warranty but their race support at the nationals is phenomenal and came up huge for me several times dealing with issues with my MRD. They always fixed it for free and actually gave me a whole new fork leg with SPV evolve when the first one blew up. Given, they kind of have to protect their reputation when they sell a 2200 dollar fork that doesnt work, but even considering that the service was impressive.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have never had a problem with manitou's customer service. each time i called the tech department i got a straight and easy answer. i will say that the sales division is really ridged in their way though.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Sir_Crackien said:
i have never had a problem with manitou's customer service. each time i called the tech department i got a straight and easy answer. i will say that the sales division is really ridged in their way though.

My stright and easy answer is always a condecending "We won't talk to you, take the fork to the shop, and we'll talk to them."

Gowd! What's the shop going to tell them what I'm not? Basicly this is how it works, I'll tell my buddies down at the shop whats wrong, they call manitou, tell them word for word what I said, then manitou answers by saying

"hmmm..... send it in and we'll take a look at it."
then a month later, I get my fork back! :nuts:

Their whole not dealing with the customer thing really pisses me off.

I hate Manitou
with a passion! :mumble:

Cwilly006

Monkey
Jul 13, 2004
Well I can say I really dont like my Slider + very much but there customer service was awesome for me. I blew the spv earlier this year and I sent it in and I asked for the SPV evolve camo lowers and stiffer springs and I got it all for free

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
scurban said:
Their whole not dealing with the customer thing really pisses me off.

QUOTE]

I think that's why a maufacturer has dealers. So they deal with the public. You know, manu. provides the product, service center provides the service. pretty common business model I believe. Why should Manitou deal with you directly when they already have a whole supply/service chain set up so that the bike shop deals with you instead?

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
My complaints with manitou arnt really with their service representatives. Everytime i call I have goten good service, and even discussed problems with me, they only ask me to go to a shop to do the actual sending/ordering. The issues that i see are a) the reliablity/quality of some of their products and b) the emense down time that occurs when a problem arises. Everyone has some quality control probs from time to time, but they really have to hurry up and get the rider back on the trail faster.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well as a shop employee, I have had a mixed bag when dealing with Manitou's tech line. My most empirical problem: hold times very long and return calls sporadic. Might sound silly, but when I am running a shop, my time is valuable.

In comparison, the Marzocchi tech line is excellent. Usually no waits and prompt call backs.

Once I had a miserable help call on a Minute rebuild (which we ended sending in). Most of the time we send the forks in as opposed to fixing it ourselves.

Pictures of fork breakage is a bit biased. Anything can break, although it is interesting to speculate why.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
sanjuro said:
Well as a shop employee, I have had a mixed bag when dealing with Manitou's tech line. My most empirical problem: hold times very long and return calls sporadic. Might sound silly, but when I am running a shop, my time is valuable.

In comparison, the Marzocchi tech line is excellent. Usually no waits and prompt call backs.

Once I had a miserable help call on a Minute rebuild (which we ended sending in). Most of the time we send the forks in as opposed to fixing it ourselves.

Pictures of fork breakage is a bit biased. Anything can break, although it is interesting to speculate why.
This mirrors my experience, I've dealt with manitou and marzocchi recently, multiple times for both.

If manitou says "those are at inspection and we'll get them out on monday (it was friday)" that means that sometime around 3 weeks later you might see the item, but it will require a few phone calls in that time, at which time they will always tell you "oh yeah, those are going out tomorrow".

By contrast the zocchi guys are fairly quick and efficiant. They sent the wrong top caps for an older fork a month back or so, and this fork was a pain to deal with just because it was so old (so some confusion on both of our parts), but marzocchi didn't loose face and quickly sent out another set that worked, they were genuinly interested in providing the best service they could.

One positive thing I can say about is that when we warrentied a nixon a few months ago, we got the replacement pretty darn fast, unfortunatly it was suffering from multiple problems, but they did go pretty fast.

I guess I have to say that my experience with manitou CS over the years has been spotty. On several occasions I have been flat out lied to and mislead, but on others I have gotten what I needed and they were sufficient.

The most telling thing is how they all react when there is some sort of screw up. That will seperate the companies that are just trying to get by from the ones that really want to provide good service.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
best customer service except for e13 ever. they dont like individuals calling due to the average consumer not knowing **** and wasting time, money, and effort when they could take it to a shop, where a pro can call it in and have it go a ton more smoothly

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
dexter said:
best customer service except for e13 ever. they dont like individuals calling due to the average consumer not knowing **** and wasting time, money, and effort when they could take it to a shop, where a pro can call it in and have it go a ton more smoothly
how about we agree to disagree

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I wish I could just call marz to get things fixed. We gotta go through norco...and norco SUCKS...I have had so many issues with tradeins, repairs...I will never buy a norco in my life at this point.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dexter said:
I have to disagree as well. I had 4 forks with problems so far this year, and only one went smoothly with Manitou's customer service.

Most fork manufacturers do not want to talk much with customers. I had a chat once with Marz about how many kids call up and ask "dude, what's the best fork for my bike?" I noticed Marz removed their phone number from their website a couple of years back.