Quantcast

Budget FS rigs?

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
I was looking to get myself a relatively cheap FS bike to trail ride on, as I find my HT being set up more and more for commuting. Any suggestions or experiences welcome. I was eyeing up the 05 Giant NRS 3, the cheapest one, as the price is very very sweet. I would replace the fork on it with my RockShox Psylo SL, currently on the HT

Thanks again.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
When searching with budget a priority, it pays to look at last year closeouts. Sometimes it doesn't pay to keep up with the Jones's. But if your heart is set, the NRS is a decent affordable XC/trail bike for sure. You'll probably be keeping your psylo on the low end of the suspension for that bike, since they work best with 100mm max. of travel up front.

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
re 'budget' - I know I will have to shell out to get a decent bike, the NRS seems to be the cheapest one (apart from walmart-type) over here in Northern Ireland, and it goes for £700. My max budget is certainly £1000, and the lower the better. I don't think there's that big a market for used bikes here either...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Darkreaper said:
re 'budget' - I know I will have to shell out to get a decent bike, the NRS seems to be the cheapest one (apart from walmart-type) over here in Northern Ireland, and it goes for £700. My max budget is certainly £1000, and the lower the better. I don't think there's that big a market for used bikes here either...
What size do you need? I have an almost new 04 GT ID-XC 1.0 frame I'd let go for $700+ship, not sure what that is in pounds, though.

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
How much would shipping be to the UK...? I've also got the option of a 04 Giant NRS Composite Air frame for $650... anybody ridden both who could compare?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
BMXman said:
take a look at the '04 Iron Horse Hollowpoint line...damn good deal if you can still find one....D
hey mr.rmparts.com do you have the hook up on any FS frames? i'm looking for something light with low travel 80/100 mostly 80.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Darkreaper said:
How much would shipping be to the UK...? I've also got the option of a 04 Giant NRS Composite Air frame for $650... anybody ridden both who could compare?
Looks like airmail via USPS would be about $50. It is a medium.

I've ridden both, the NRS wasn't as stiff at the GT, but it felt like it pedaled a little better, probably because it was equipped with a propedal shock. The ID-XC shined on the downhills, however, it feels like the travel is more or less endless, and it doesn't squish into corners. The i-Drive works quite well. The rear shock is a DT Swiss 225, which would be much easier to get parts and such for in Europe. The gigantic pivot bearings make it stiffer than hell.

The NRS (especially the composite) is more of a race bike, while the IDXC is a weekend race bike/weekday trailbike.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:
Maybe as marketed, but I'm here to tell you it makes a really nice trail bike (with an adjustable fork).

-S.S.-
IDXC>NRS ;)

With an RP3, the ID-XC trashes everything and their dog. Need...to...get...new...shock...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:
Dude. No *way* any GT is > any Giant. :p

-S.S.-
Old 4-bar v. updated i-Drive.... :oink:

There are only a couple 4-bars that I would say ride better than the ID-XC, and those would be the Titus Racer-X and Turner Burner. The 05 ID-XC with the RP3 is sex in a can, seriously. It's on par with Maestro, VPP, and DW.

Since you're in Europe, Darkreaper, look into the Scott pull-shock FS bikes, those are supposed to kick a lot of ass (Can't get 'em in the US thanks to Specialized).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
blue said:
Old 4-bar v. updated i-Drive.... :oink:
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......................

There are only a couple 4-bars that I would say ride better than the ID-XC, and those would be the Titus Racer-X and Turner Burner. The 05 ID-XC with the RP3 is sex in a can, seriously. It's on par with Maestro, VPP, and DW.
You keep telling yourself that as you try to sell that GT.......... :p

-S.S.-

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......................

You keep telling yourself that as you try to sell that GT.......... :p

-S.S.-
Meh, it's grown on me. The only reason I'd sell it at this point is because I can't afford a new RP3. Hence, I'm not really trying to sell it...

I swear to God I'm schizo or something. :blah:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
The Toninator said:
hey mr.rmparts.com do you have the hook up on any FS frames? i'm looking for something light with low travel 80/100 mostly 80.
Right now all I have is complete bikes. I have a Scalpel....D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Darkreaper said:
Hey, blue - I've just noticed on the GT site that the 05 IDXC has an integrated headset - is the 04 model the same?
Yep, it is integrated. And the paint scheme is hotter ;)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Darkreaper said:
Bah. Blue? Stealth black is the way to go...
Yeah, it would be hot in a black ano paintjob.

Check out the i-Drive 5, that is one sweetassbikey. I want one. Too bad I'm poor...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:
That's what's commonly known as a "Troll" and they're renowned for being somewhat retarded....... :D

-S.S.-

Yeah...the NRS is just basic 4 bar suspension. Don't listen to senor single pivot...a single piv is not all that great for XC/trail when you can get much better suspension designs (IE, 4-bar, DW, i-Drive, VPP) for about the same price.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:
Dude - don't buy the GT. It's a GT for crying out loud. :D

What you should do is get the carbon NRS frame that what's-his-face is selling (the dude that bought the Trance).

-S.S.-
Giant used to be a cheap crap brand...in many people's eyes, they still are.

I like their AL stuff, but their carbon feels like flexy toy plastic to me.

Mmm...Scott Carbon...now that is some real CF, boi...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
blue said:
Giant used to be a cheap crap brand...in many people's eyes, they still are.
That's funny. When did they acquire this reputation? 'Cause when I bought my first bike, they were considered to be high quality steel mfgrs.

I like their AL stuff, but their carbon feels like flexy toy plastic to me.

Mmm...Scott Carbon...now that is some real CF, boi...
Are you *sure* that Giant doesn't make Scott's CF frames? ;)

-S.S.-

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Darkreaper said:
How about this Kona? Decent price for a full-susser, any comments on the setup or overall deal?

Kona's are nice, just the same basic 4-bar design.

I won't sell you my frame anymore...I'm selling it complete :p

:onschizomode:

CunningStunt

Chimp
Mar 9, 2005
Orange County, CA
First off Marin's are bad ass, me and my boys rode the Wolf Ridge at Sea Otter with the reps. The Quad design really pedals well. If you can find a deal on a Marin Quad frame, you will be happy.

Second, Kona's are faux or fake four-bar designs. To be a true four-bar the link needs to be on the bottom of the swingarm or chainstay, also called a horst link. Konas put their link on the seatstay, this works just as well as a single pivot unless you get a floating brake. Diamondback and Raleigh do this as well.

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
I ride a marin hardtail, but their full-sus frames... I just think they look ugly :| Plus even the cheapest is outta my price range and they dont come up 2nd-hand often.