Quantcast

Budget road bike

kingLatency

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Northampton, MA
I've just arrived at college and the idea of having a road bike specifically for getting around campus has been floating around my head. The first thing that comes to mind is a Surly Pacer frame with maybe a Sora grouppo and QBP wheels. Unfortunately, I don't think I have the dough for that right now. I'm looking to spend more like $500 (for now, anyways). What are my options? I'm open to buying used, new, complete, separate, etc.

Any ideas?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
are you looking for a road bike or a commuter. If you're using it on a college campus, I say find a $50 bike that works and looks like it's worth $10.

kingLatency

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Northampton, MA

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
kingLatency said:
I'd bring my Surly Steamroller if this is what I had in mind.

And I wouldn't mind a $50 beater, I just don't know where to get one that runs well.
I bought a bike for $20, the shifters were shot, so I just use it as "single-speed".

Try used sporting good stores, thrift shops, goodwill, newspaper classified, garage sales. I'm sure you know enough to just get it running.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
I just bought a Trek 1000 for $580 including tax. I was looking for something to get around on as well as something I could do a little training on. I had looked at the Giant OCR 3 and was planning on getting one, until the shop sold the last one in my size. Not having a preference on brand I looked at and got the Trek. It retailed for a little less than the Giant as well. Components are comparable on each, the Trek has all Bontrager stuff and and a little better rear derailleur. It's also not a compact frame like the Giant is. I've got 90 miles on mine so far and everything is running good. For my uses it's a great bike.