Quantcast

BUELLS EAST COAST ROAD TRIP 2ND Destination: Excellent PLATTEKILL NY

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
What up all back in sunny and hot:redhot: Colorado! Brian Buell again reporting from rainy:mumble: Brunswick NY! Today we were planning on taking a trip to the big apple, but the weather isn’t cooperating and now were just thinking about getting in the car and driving some place, don’t know where, that’s the beauty. Anyways, here is the skinny on our past week. RACE DESTINATION #2: PLATTEKILL NY. Anyone claims they have ridden down some technical trails, think again. Plattekill Mountain is a 1000 foot vertical wall full of shale rocks, sse islimy roots and who can forget the red plattekill mud. The mountain is pretty much run by five people and they don’t care too much what you do as long as you have fun, so there are all kinds of crazy stunts, drops and the trails go on for days, seriously, unlike Colorado where most mountains have a only a few DH runs. The course was a madhouse, freshly cut like they do every race, this track was a bit scary walking up, and it was chute after chute full of rocks and roots. On Friday the CO Crew, Michael, Caroline J, Dave C and myself worked on the 4X track, a good free entrée fee’s for the weekend, oh yeah, and the courn’t your typical 4X, lets just say DH bikes and a little road gap action which made for awesome racing, in the slop. The CO crew whopped up as Dave placed first, I got second and Michael fourth. Caroline dominated her class. We all received kick ass medals and tires and junk. DH RACE: The course by now was very muddy for race day; it rained all weekend like everywhere we go. There was an awesome turnout in the Pro category which made the racing very competitive. Since it was a local’s race I kinda threw caution into the wind and just went for it, going a 100 mile per hour which caused me to fall three or so times, gosh!!! Michael was having a brilliant run until he fell as well. Mr. Camp killed it in the rain as he slipped and slid all the way down the hill just seconds behind some of the best east coast pro’s. I got 16th with Michael and Dave receiving 17th and 8th respectively. The course wasn’t too hard to ride, yet at race pace it was scary. On the women’s side Caroline killed it once again. With a fall in her race run she still blazed it down the mountain for a second place in her first ever Pro race. Not only is she racing fast, since she is still relatively new to the sport, her riding is progressing so much every time she touches a bike. We rode like banshees all day Sunday from 9-5 without so many delays. We had some great guides showing us some of the coolest/craziest riding I’ve ever done. There were so many trails, and I never knew where I was. Since the mountain is so raw, drops are everywhere, the most drop time I’ve ever had in one day, sure most of em were crazy 10 foot to near flat of creaky wooden bridges, but who cares about the bike, just ride it! FUN Fact, Caroline went off pretty much every drop on the mountain…Blind!!! Road gap…stomped, broken tooth, which is scary looking…piece of cake! This girls on a tear, watch out!!! I can’t wait to go back Saturday. Platte kill gets a 9 ½ out of ten! This is getting a little long so I will wrap it up. Mt Snow local race Sunday, some sweet XC/urban riding in Troy and Saritoga, NY and Boston perhaps in the future. Still raining, oh well, lets ride anyways!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Attachments

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
BRIANBUELL said:
RACE DESTINATION #2: PLATTEKILL NY. Anyone claims they have ridden down some technical trails, think again. Plattekill Mountain is a 1000 foot vertical wall full of shale rocks, sse islimy roots and who can forget the red plattekill mud.
I have raced at Plattekill once and the race was a blast and scary, 10' drop to flat, and steep shale filled chutes lined with jagged larger pieces of shale waiting to slice parts off you bike. Then there was the triple drop:eek: so few people rode it most riders did not realize it was part of the race course. Man I miss that place:love:

Sounds like you guys are having a blast on your trip. I am trying hard to make it back to the east coast for some races next year. Are you guys going to make it up to Bromont?

DHCorky said:
I have raced at Plattekill once and the race was a blast and scary, 10' drop to flat, and steep shale filled chutes lined with jagged larger pieces of shale waiting to slice parts off you bike. Then there was the triple drop:eek: so few people rode it most riders did not realize it was part of the race course. Man I miss that place:love:

Sounds like you guys are having a blast on your trip. I am trying hard to make it back to the east coast for some races next year. Are you guys going to make it up to Bromont?
Were planning on hitting Bromont between the mt snow national and the Mt. St. Anne WC, Its one of the only mountains open during the week this time of year, so that made the decicion to ride there real easy. Plus everyone sais it rules.

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
WhiteRavenKS said:
buellernatron... i got certain things in the mail to a certain place in cali... have you had the chance to do words? see you in about a week homes.
B Team shipped out 1800 certain things via computer on monday. All systems go, all systems go, we are clear for liftoff! Vermont NAT, i'll be there baby, hopefully it ain't going to rain. Today and yesturday it rained, we still did sweet rides with catching about three feet of sweet air at times!!! Do your certain things kick ass, are they of me, eh?

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
the two of you are flying way too close to the radar . . . heh - Brian, I got your text messages, sounds like you're having a blast! Keep it up and I'll represent this weekend. :cool:

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
Beast said:
the two of you are flying way too close to the radar . . . heh - Brian, I got your text messages, sounds like you're having a blast! Keep it up and I'll represent this weekend. :cool:
B, Its a top secret oppuration but i'll let you in on it. Meet me behind the watertower tonight at 12 for further instructions. Kinda wish i could ride some sweet 4x courses over the weekend, its cool though, riding plattekill tomarrow. Mt Snow race sunday. And we went on a killer rainy xc ride last night. Win slow-pro fer peats sack. Oh yeah, Chris C is really fun to ride with, he's crazy. That Lucky is sweet to, you need to get you one! LATER!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Mike Buell said:
We were actually riding there last night behind the stables with steve and jimmy. We might be back next week though.
Crap...Batts never tells me anything. Some team "manager". :rofl:

/\/\att

Chimp
Aug 9, 2005
burlington ct
Hey Brian hows it going, Sorry i havent responded in such a long time but your inbox is full.

I got your check and i was just looking at the results form the mount snow race i was in, yesterday. Looks like you were there to. I was wondering if your going ot the the natinals there mabey we could take a run togather?

Edit: acutly from your pic looks like i was talking with you. I was hanging out with Dave Penn, (fat kid with the demo 8).

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
/\/\att said:
Hey Brian hows it going, Sorry i havent responded in such a long time but your inbox is full.

I got your check and i was just looking at the results form the mount snow race i was in, yesterday. Looks like you were there to. I was wondering if your going ot the the natinals there mabey we could take a run togather?

Edit: acutly from your pic looks like i was talking with you. I was hanging out with Dave Penn, (fat kid with the demo 8).
Were you hanging out with Geoff Ulmer by chance

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
What up everyone, another update coming your way here. This week was a good one for biking out here on the east coast. The guy’s were staying with are really cool, they have provided us with people to go ride with and beds, showers, hoses and internet connection, not all necessary, but very nice! Saratoga Springs is a really cool town but the XC riding is incredible, especially wet, very wet! Steve from elevate cycles and Jimmy Staddart(I don’t know how to spell his name?) Very fast Pro DHer. Anyways it was good to get out on the mountaincross/xc bikes as we’ve been all DH the last few weeks. Speaking of which, we went back to Plattekill and camped out for the night, my wallet is still wet from my leaky tent. Haven’t yet experienced Plattekill dry, so very wet Plattekill was awesome, again! Riding all day, especially on my busted up leg was very tiring, yet excellent. We convinced the guys working to open up the double lift that gave access to more sweet trails. The next day we were off to Mt Snow, VT for the local series race run on the Beginner/Sport course which was very fast, reminded me of West coast riding like Snowmass or Keystone. The course itself isn’t very hard to roll down but when at race pace it was pretty insane, lots of little roots and rocks to watch out for. Out of the gate my race run felt like I was in a super giant slalom course hauling balls for about 15-20 seconds. The storm that moved through caused the course to muck up in certain areas which wrecked havoc with peoples speed, or at least mine. I broke my chain on a foot tall water pipe that was strategically placed in a low speed section, from there I death gripped my bars to keep my momentum only to land on my sweet swollen leg because of a sideways root. That was the backbreaker as I pumped through the finish without a chain beat and battered yet I still beat a few Pro’s. Michael did good as well did Caroline as she raced expert yet still ended up passing a rider on rout do the fastest women time of the day. After taking a sneak peak of the expert/pro course the report is fast, very fast and no yard sale, oh well. Its going to be hard to camp in the parking lot as the security is tight, but we’ll find a way but for now its time to rid the bikes of all the mud accumulated from the last week and get em ready to ride!

/\/\att

Chimp
Aug 9, 2005
burlington ct
BRIANBUELL said:
Were you hanging out with Geoff Ulmer by chance
I dont think so. Are you goign ot be at the natinals at mt snow though? Youd be on the pro couse but we coudl take a run down one of the other non race trails there.

Haplipe

Monkey
Feb 7, 2006
Arvada
Damn brian, your ripping this year.
hey brendan when do you think you guys are going to whistler because im going up in the beggining of August.

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
Beast said:
Yo Brian and Mike, we need to talk Whistler dates - Adrian is going to Greece for a week or so and that may kink our original plans a bit. Call me :clue:
You guys better figure that **** out!

edit - I can't say poop on here?? Poopie!

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
Yo whats up everyone. Today we are for the first time in a month home, not a parking lot in Monte St Ann kind of home or a two bed one bath for a week home, thanks again Ulmers, much appreciated. Yep we navigated the drrrreaded 40 hour drive home with ease, only ran out of gas once! Made a little detour to Pitt to drop off some seattle shreaders and after off top grandmothers house we went in Kalamazoo michigan. 17 1/2 hours straight and many coffees we are back riding around our bikes infront of the glorious flatirons and foothills. Like always the rain fallowed but only for a minute.

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
The World Cup was an incredible experience even though i didn't quilify, i had the chance to ride on the same course with the best in the world! Only fell once trying to fallow the ironhorse/madcatz boys. Like Mt Snow it was a very fast course and then there were berms, big ones all over the place, even in the woods! After walking the course, it seemed smooth, not too tech just keep the rubberside down and hands off the breaks since the breakbumps got pretty bad. I never made a complete run, either hands hurt, mud or people falling in the course or if your me, your bumed rim cannot hold the bead in and the tube exploids ending my dreams of quilifying, ohh well it was fun yelling at the competition and riding down on the retired rim even throwing style off the jump. Made it down though getting a chance to hear a crazy quebecian announcer say my name, thats what was important, BRIEN BUEAALLLL, yah! Should have done the MX, fun looking course and on race day it was amazing to watch the best do their thing, i was taking notes. Hope to do it sometime in the future, it was incredible. Oh yeah, at the after party cedric was ripping peoples shirts off, Peatty was drinking beer and there were many, many, many fine french canadian women! They don't enjoy too much an american teen trying french pick up lines , it just dosn't work! Time for reality though and a few days of work before Deer Valley and then its on again! This east coast trip for me though was one of the best experiences of my life picking up many life long friends, experiences and getting to also sample some of N americas finest ski area parking lots! Peace, happy trails eh!

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
That Rim Bit the dust up there in Canada, it was about time, wasn't it! A fine rim that served me well, i'm glad i sent it off a national champion and a world cup qualifyer finisher, it did good. R.I.P oll buddy, i'll miss ya:dead: Good pic of the DS at Vermont, cool!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
BRIANBUELL said:
That Rim Bit the dust up there in Canada, it was about time, wasn't it! A fine rim that served me well, i'm glad i sent it off a national champion and a world cup qualifyer finisher, it did good. R.I.P oll buddy, i'll miss ya:dead: Good pic of the DS at Vermont, cool!
Good show at DV guys! 10th and 15th!!! That's some good stuff...I know what ya mean about being home finally .....I was only gone 2 weeks and I was about as homesick as possible....can't imagine your trip....

Keep it rockin'!

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
Geoff won JrX by about 4 sec and would' ve placed top 5 in pro. Remember the uphill first day of Mt. Snow Nat'l Practice ? Well My derailleur cable pulled out at the start got stuck in high gear and had to pedal that section along with another short uphill section. They almost had to rush Me to the hospital (thought I was having a heart attack) The most pedaling I have done since riding with You guys in Saratoga !! Congrats to the both of you with killer finishes at DV !!! How'd Jason do ??

Here's a link to a video by one of Geoff's friends, He's rippin the rockgarden.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2154132869705778718

Plattekill #3 this weekend forcast is dry, sunny and 90 degrees both days and then 3 weeks off racing after 8 races in the last 9 weeks. Unless We hit up Snowshoe the week after platty. Looks like We waited to long to make arangements for Crankworx. Yhanks for the invite next year for sure.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
Here's a pic of Your podium at Mt. Snow. 2nd dual semi pro. I should have put down the LaBatts before I took it :)

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
BRIANBUELL said:
Yo G, how did you do? Thanks for the encouragment, we shall be in WA in about a week or so, maybe we'll see ya there eh?
11th Expert 25-29......

Out of 12......cause 12th DNF'd.......

I forgot what I was doing in Barney....and just stopped....fell over, got up, dude passed me, pinned it the rest of the way, really tired....caught him, passed him after the last right hander on the way to the drop, hit the drop waaaaaaaaaaay too fast, couldn't hold on (even with the hopey turned on....), chest to bars, IMPACT! @ 20mph....I think I bounced....slid 30ft, got up, ran 6ft. to the finish line, blacked out.

Medic: ".....you know where you are?"
Me: "I'm on the ground....I'm just going to enjoy the scenery....sky looks nice."
Medic: "Where does it hurt?"
Me: "Well....everywhere..."

Left thigh is one big bruise with deep cuts all through it....elbow doesn't have any skin left on it cause of the fabric on the inside of the forearm protector (would've been way worse had I not been wearing it though!)....Couldn't walk up or down stairs for 3 days. But I'm almost back to normal now.

My buddy and I drove to Mt. Hood in Oregon (8 hour drive) after our race Sat. for another race on Sunday, he took 2nd in his class while I just sat and got tan....and took some pics.....and pills.....

Now I have to strip and rebuild the bike completely. It's in working order...but not the kind of shape I like my equipment to be in....dust from Whistler and DV killed the pivots....I can hear em grinding away....sigh....

I'll be at Crankworx on Sunday the 23rd racing Super D and Air DH. Have to leave before the Garbanzo DH though... :mad: I'll PM ya my cell number in case you guys are in Seattle earlier than that. Might have time for a ride....or maybe just grab lunch.