Quantcast

Buell's East Coast road trip update: US OPEN

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
What up yall back in the big CO 303. Its yer favorite Rotec rider Brian Buell here, just hangin out in the Mountain Creek parking lot. Where i'm parked on the asphalt it is 104 degress yet still east coast humid!!! I'm sweating buckets:drool: Still having a blast though. The riding this week was very good, yet varied day to day. friday it poored so much we had a river the size of the platt running through our camp almost washing away trash cans, tool box's and not the mention Dave camps shoes. Practice was wet and pretty slick in the upper part of the coarse where most of the rocks and roots were, the bottom half of the coarse was just a little slow through the berms. Pro practice is great, all good riders and not too many holdups. Sat came along with the dreaded qualifying run. I somehow ended up with the #9 plate which was cool becuase i didn't have to wait. I fell once, yet who didn't and made the rest of the run clean enough to qualify by .7, WHU! The course did dry up and SUN practice was good and fast. Dave almost killed himself but recovered right infront of me, he also does crazy good can-cans. I ate a delicious roast beef wrap before my run which was one of the first, i was sixth out of the gate with minute intervels, cool! I was buzzing while visualizing the course right before i was in the gate. The time was now, to let go of the brakes and go. I almost ate it again ye trecovered and when i reached the rock garden the crowd was going nuts with air horns and the whole deal led by my brother Michael who didn't qualify, he's slightly injured. I used the energy from the crowd and went for it, peddling and pumping everything all the way down, through the berms, over the bridge and into the finish to be rewarded by a red bull and a place on the hot seat, hell yeah i was excited:) I was only there for two riders yet it was a great two mins, david K sneaked infront of me so i'll take that. I was pumping my fist everytime a rider would come down just behind my pace. I finished in the top half which for me on fri seamed impossible. Only seconds behind top Pro's makes for a great confidence booster. Mountain Creek is a great mountain with lots of good riding that i would suggest all to visit. Camping in the parking lot is pretty sweet too, i love mountain biking! Thats all, for now! Happy trails eh!:agree: :agree: :agree:

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
Way to go Brian! Where are you two going this weekend? I am debating between Snowshoe and Sugar (just saw on their web site that they are open Sat. and Sun). I want to hit Windrock (dh shuttle area in Tenn. not far from Sugar) next week.

Let me know if you guys are game for any of the above.

gene@betterride.net

mgy said:
Way to go Brian! Where are you two going this weekend? I am debating between Snowshoe and Sugar (just saw on their web site that they are open Sat. and Sun). I want to hit Windrock (dh shuttle area in Tenn. not far from Sugar) next week.

Let me know if you guys are game for any of the above.

gene@betterride.net
Hey Gene,

Michael Here replying on behaf of Brian and myself. Right now were hanging out in Bever Kill NY about 45 min from Platekill. This weekend we will be racing the local series race up there in Platty, next weekend were gonnna do the local series race in mt Snow Vt. then the national in Vt. and then the world cup in MT. St. Anne.
So no we won't be making it to either snowshoe, sugur and most unfortunalty windrock. Have fun though and if you looking for a riding buddy give us a call, Mr. Camp who is hanging with us right now will be heading down to ride all the above southern spots this next week as well.
See ya in VT

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
Damn! I am in VA at my parents house and really want to race Plattekill but it is a 650 mile round trip completely out of my way. I think I am going to Snowshoe tomorrow but you never know, I may end up in NY.

Good luck this weekend!

-Gene

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Haplipe said:
Buells? whos that
Buell (noun)- Large mammal indigenous to certain areas of Colorado. Generally harmless omnivore, the Buell has a ravenous appetite and will travel long distances in search of food or recreation. Almost impervious to fear and pain, the Buell is a hardy and powerful creature.

buell (verb)- to destory or otherwise damage. IE- this rim is all buelled up.

Haplipe

Monkey
Feb 7, 2006
Arvada
TheInedibleHulk said:
Buell (noun)- Large mammal indigenous to certain areas of Colorado. Generally harmless omnivore, the Buell has a ravenous appetite and will travel long distances in search of food or recreation. Almost impervious to fear and pain, the Buell is a hardy and powerful creature.

buell (verb)- to destory or otherwise damage. IE- this rim is all buelled up.
Ah Thank you for the clarification....:help:
:rofl: but i would never forget the buells:rolleyes: goodtimes

2young2ride

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
Colorado
TheInedibleHulk said:
Buell (noun)- Large mammal indigenous to certain areas of Colorado. Generally harmless omnivore, the Buell has a ravenous appetite...
and will travel long distances for bacon and spoonfulls of mayonaise

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
2young2ride said:
and will travel long distances for bacon and spoonfulls of mayonaise
Dude my MA classes worked, i'm off the mayo and now hitting the horseradish hard, its good stuff. I'm also a porketarian, no more fer me eh, okay maybe a little bit. Yo everyone another update coming soon. Later!

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
What up all back in sunny and hot Colorado! Brian Buell again reporting from rainy Brunswick NY! Today we were planning on taking a trip to the big apple, but the weather isn’t cooperating and now were just thinking about getting in the car and driving some place, don’t know where, that’s the beauty. Anyways, here is the skinny on our past week. RACE DESTINATION #2: PLATTEKILL NY. Anyone claims they have ridden down some technical trails, think again. Plattekill Mountain is a 1000 foot vertical wall full of shale rocks, slimy roots and who can forget the red plattekill mud. The mountain is pretty much run by five people and they don’t care too much what you do as long as you have fun, so there are all kinds of crazy stunts, drops and the trails go on for days, seriously, unlike Colorado where most mountains have a only a few DH runs. The course was a madhouse, freshly cut like they do every race, this track was a bit scary walking up, and it was chute after chute full of rocks and roots. On Friday the CO Crew, Michael, Caroline J, Dave C and myself worked on the 4X track, a good free entrée fee’s for the weekend, oh yeah, and the course isn’t your typical 4X, lets just say DH bikes and a little road gap action which made for awesome racing, in the slop. The CO crew whopped up as Dave placed first, I got second and Michael fourth. Caroline dominated her class. We all received kick ass medals and tires and junk. DH RACE: The course by now was very muddy for race day; it rained all weekend like everywhere we go. There was an awesome turnout in the Pro category which made the racing very competitive. Since it was a local’s race I kinda threw caution into the wind and just went for it, going a 100 mile per hour which caused me to fall three or so times, gosh!!! Michael was having a brilliant run until he fell as well. Mr. Camp killed it in the rain as he slipped and slid all the way down the hill just seconds behind some of the best east coast pro’s. I got 16th with Michael and Dave receiving 17th and 8th respectively. The course wasn’t too hard to ride, yet at race pace it was scary. On the women’s side Caroline killed it once again. With a fall in her race run she still blazed it down the mountain for a second place in her first ever Pro race. Not only is she racing fast, since she is still relatively new to the sport, her riding is progressing so much every time she touches a bike. We rode like banshees all day Sunday from 9-5 without so many delays. We had some great guides showing us some of the coolest/craziest riding I’ve ever done. There were so many trails, and I never knew where I was. Since the mountain is so raw, drops are everywhere, the most drop time I’ve ever had in one day, sure most of em were crazy 10 foot to near flat of creaky wooden bridges, but who cares about the bike, just ride it! FUN Fact, Caroline went off pretty much every drop on the mountain…Blind!!! Road gap…stomped, broken tooth, which is scary looking…piece of cake! This girls on a tear, watch out!!! I can’t wait to go back Saturday. Platte kill gets a 9 ½ out of ten! This is getting a little long so I will wrap it up. Mt Snow local race Sunday, some sweet XC/urban riding in Troy and Saritoga, NY and Boston perhaps in the future. Still raining, oh well, lets ride anyways!!!