Quantcast

Building a bike for a friend

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I have about a 1800 budget and am trying to build a bike for a friend. He's not going to be railing singletrack but will be riding in the dirt and gravel around the country side.

I am looking at hardtail 29ers. I can buy mid level aluminium frame bikes NIB at my LBS (cannondale/Giant) or I am finding used high end hardtails built with good shit for around the same money or a little more.

My preference is for good used shit. A friend suggested that buying used bikes as gifts is lame and I shouldn't hold my high end standards for a gift bike that isn't going to be punished like I would punish it. He thinks its better to buy new stuff thats mid grade than used high end stuff.

Tl/dr

What say the monkey? Great shit thats used or good shit thats new for a gift bike going to someone who wont be hucking to flat?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
What say the monkey? Great shit thats used or good shit thats new for a gift bike going to someone who wont be hucking to flat?
I'd get something used and put some elbow grease into it tuning it up and making it work good. It'll be a better bike for the $$ and that's what matters. I've bought bikes as gifts for people before and that's the route I always go. I'd like to think they appreciate the hands on approach and a used bike with some cool custom parts has way more personality then a bike that looks just like all the other bikes at the shop.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Giant is pretty generic, but they have some nice looking hard tails that basically look like gravel grinders with mtb'ish bars. You might even be looking at a carbon bike for that price from Giant.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I mostly ride my gravel bike out there but this guy isnt a cyclist and isnt in the best of shape. The higher volume tire and more upright posture on the mtb is going to make rallying around pretty comfortable.

The NIB $1500 hardtails are aluminum frames with decent deivetrains. The wheels are the most questionable bits. This guy wont be destroying any of it. I hate to spend money on bikes that I know are going to be re-sellable for half of what I just paid. It might be the appropriate bike in this instance though.

Used Yelli Screamys, Honzos, Transams, el mariachi's is what I was mainly looking at in the used bikes... finding nice steel frames with Pikes and CK wheels for the same price...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I vote go new, and if he rides enough to want to upgrade things (dropper, wheels, etc), you can help him with that.
End of season discounts are a ways out, but that’s how I’ve gotten my bikes for a bit less in the past.

The caveat is if he decides he wants a dually for that price, then I’d definitely go used...