Quantcast

Building A Fork For A 90 Pound Rider

Old_Dude

Monkey
My twelve year old son is complaining - rightly so I think - that his fork is too harsh. He weighs about 85 or 90 pounds & he's using a Judy TT fork.

What can I do to make his fork more responsive for his light weight? I thought about putting in lighter (less "strong") springs - are they available?

Anything else I can do? I also considered taking the spring out, stretching it out an inch, and then cutting off an inch or so. I know that's crazy, but I need help getting this shock to be more "spongy" for him.

Thanks,

OD

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Old_Dude
My twelve year old son is complaining - rightly so I think - that his fork is too harsh. He weighs about 85 or 90 pounds & he's using a Judy TT fork.

What can I do to make his fork more responsive for his light weight? I thought about putting in lighter (less "strong") springs - are they available?

Anything else I can do? I also considered taking the spring out, stretching it out an inch, and then cutting off an inch or so. I know that's crazy, but I need help getting this shock to be more "spongy" for him.

Thanks,

OD
Its an entry level fork, but you may be able to find some different softer springs. Or try a different more adjustable fork.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
lighter springs, my good man. there's no damper inside that fork, which could also be part of the reason... meaning the fork kicks back into his hands after an impact, since none of the stored energy is dissipated through friction (normally produced by a damper).

i'd put a few cc's of suspension fluid in there anyway to keep everything moving. also judy butter the fork seals (under the boots).

you could also try an elastomer stack in one leg, and a spring in the other, since elastomer has a different feel to it (more controlled). try a "soft" or "extrasoft" spring and a "soft" elastomer...

Old_Dude

Monkey
I've been to RockShock.com & found info about the fork - it uses one spring in the left leg. I am planning on calling them Monday or Wednesday to get information about a softer spring for the Judy TT.

Thanks for all the comments thus far.

OD

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
I am suprised that no one said to get the total air upgrade. Granted it costs a bit compared to the fork but the newer (past 2 years) version seems to work really well. I put them in my wifes bike since we could not get a good feel with her '97 Judy SL and they worked wonders. They will lighten the fork up and give you adjustable compression and rebound damping! Their web page is http://www.total-air.com/

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
Whatever you do, be real careful about streching a spring, that can weaken it. If you have no luck @ Rockshox, try a bike shop. You may find they have some springs from anotherr riders bike laying around. Also, look at other brands. I moded my Manitou with a Rockshck spring. It was longer but thinner coils so I just cut it and it worked great! Also I use 2.5 wt fork oil I buy at my local motorcycle shop for light riders like this girl I'm dating. It's lots cheaper than lbs stuff ($9 a quart vs. 12 for less).

Old_Dude

Monkey
I spoke with the RockShox people today & they were extremely nice - but they don't offer a softer spring for the Judy TT fork.

The person I spoke with suggested getting an '01 Judy C or XC fork - with these, he said, I could get softer springs.

So, onward goes my quest for a softer fork.

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
The link is lefrt up above. Rockshox folks will probably not tell you what can be swapped around or what will work because: 1) liability issues with non-standard application advice given 2) They really just don't know and 3) why give you a cheap realistic option when they can tell you to buy new forks? Try the angry asian. Leave him an email and he'll respond within a week. He has helped me and has a real cool site. The dude knows his fortune cookies man. Good luck!

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
OldDude, don't buy a new fork quite yet. We deal lots of Hardrocks (and thus lots of Judy TTs) at my shop, so I'll see what I can turn up about mods and such.

Thankyee.