Quantcast

Building Leg Strength

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
A couple months ago I switched from a 3x9 drivetrain to a 2x9 drivetrain. In that time, my legs have gotten a lot stronger (pushing harder gears longer) and overall speeds improved. The problem comes in when I'm faced with a short extra steep burst on an already steep climb....I just don't have the power to get up and over without lower gears to continue the climb.

What is the best way to build the strength needed to power up steep sections like this? Interval training? Weight lifting? ...or do I bow to the bike gods and put a 3x9 back on?

Thanks!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by bikebabe
A couple months ago I switched from a 3x9 drivetrain to a 2x9 drivetrain. In that time, my legs have gotten a lot stronger (pushing harder gears longer) and overall speeds improved. The problem comes in when I'm faced with a short extra steep burst on an already steep climb....I just don't have the power to get up and over without lower gears to continue the climb.

What is the best way to build the strength needed to power up steep sections like this? Interval training? Weight lifting? ...or do I bow to the bike gods and put a 3x9 back on?

Thanks!
You are going from triple to a double so I am assuming this is your road bike? My climbing legs are fine but I will always want a granny gear on my MTB! :D

For road biking it really depends on the grade of your climb, if you are running out of torque for your spin then I think you may not be spinning fast enough all the way around. If you have run out of gears on a gruesome climb but can see the crest, bring your hands up to the brake lever hoods, get out of the saddle and lean into your climb, this will give you what you need to hit the top but... out of the saddle climbs at low RPMs are real energy burners.

I think I would consider hill training. Find a spot that transisions from flat to serious hill, about a quarter mile total with a bitch climb. Hit the flats fast at high RPM and shoot for the hill. Practice shifting down one gear at a time while keeping your spin rate as high as comfortable. Repeat, repeat, puke, repeat. :D As you get faster and stonger start looking for longer & steeper practice spots.

My natural spin on rolling hills is around 80 to 85, it used to be lower but I am improving. When I hit those short rollers my spin may max out at 115 or so.

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Originally posted by Serial Midget

You are going from thriple to double so I am assuming this is your road bike? My climbing legs are fine but I will always want a granny gear on my MTB! :D
Thanks! It is my mountain bike with this funky set-up and there are plenty of times I wish for a granny gear, cursing the other riders in my group who are gleefully commenting "I'm glad I have my granny" as they spin up the mountain. :D

Cannondale put a 2x9 set-up as stock on their Scalpel 2000's. I'm debating pulling it off and going with a triple but that means the bike wins....and I'm not quite ready for that. Still it may be best with some of the mountains around here.

I'll try to avoid the puking part...but more intense hill training is something I could defintely try.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My advice changes with the weather... get the tripple!!! There is no way you can hit the steep stuff without it! Also: you are right to avoid puking. Vomiting during training is only cool ifyou are a roadie.

The spin thing still holds. If I climbing steep from a moderate transistion I am in the granny gear at the first sign of change - I'm spinning like a mother to avoid stalling out. You NEED that granny gear... go shopping.

Originally posted by bikebabe

Thanks! It is my mountain bike with this funky set-up and there are plenty of times I wish for a granny gear, cursing the other riders in my group who are gleefully commenting "I'm glad I have my granny" as they spin up the mountain. :D

Cannondale put a 2x9 set-up as stock on their Scalpel 2000's. I'm debating pulling it off and going with a triple but that means the bike wins....and I'm not quite ready for that. Still it may be best with some of the mountains around here.

I'll try to avoid the puking part...but more intense hill training is something I could defintely try.