Quantcast

Building my first wheel, WTH am I doing wrong on the spoke calc?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'm trying to build my first wheel. Pretty sure I can figure it out once I have everything I need, but the spoke calculators are driving me nuts. I purchased the wheel pro book, which is great.

I followed his instructions and measured my hub, which is a 150mm Hadley.

Measured ERD for my 823 at 530 using two cut spokes
The spoke hole center to center are 59mm
I measured the end of the hub to drive side flange at 49mm
End to rotor side flange at 44mm

This gives me his 'C' and 'D' of 31 and 26mm, which are the measurement from the flanges to the centerline.

All is dandy and I enter my numbers and get L:255.6 R:255.0

But then I enter the
Numbers at prowheelbuilder. They use different measurements for the calculator but they are the end to flange measurements instead of center to flange.

So I use the same measurements but with L:44 R:49
I get spoke lengths at L:257 R:256.5

This is driving me nuts. I just want to get the right spokes so I can build this wheel. What am I doing wrong?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I took measurements with calipers right from the hub I'm using.

Even if I use the print measurements the calculations come out different on the different sites...

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Don't mess it up, I was impatient, measured it all up and thought she'll be right. Ordered a bunch of CX-Ray spokes that ended up being slightly too long and had to do 32H 4X pattern which saw spokes snapping at aboot the 500mile mark, they are scrap now :(

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Don't mess it up, I was impatient, measured it all up and thought she'll be right. Ordered a bunch of CX-Ray spokes that ended up being slightly too long and had to do 32H 4X pattern which saw spokes snapping at aboot the 500mile mark, they are scrap now :(
That's what I'm worried about. Or pissing away $40+ on spokes that are too short. Once I get the correct length, I don't think I'll have any problems building.

Try these numbers, direct from Hadley.
View attachment 114271

Also, are you taking into account the use of 16mm nipples?
Same diagram Rice posted. The numbers actually don't change much from using the numbers I measured. From everything I read, nipples are easily accounted for, but you need to calculate the spokes first. I plan on using 14mm as shown in the Wheel Pro book.

I measured the ERD myself with two spokes cut down to 200mm.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
whoops, I skimmed over ih8rice's post.

If all else fails, call up one of the better wheel building online shops (go-ride, universal, etc) and ask them. If you need spokes, you can order them up from whomever is able to help you out.

I've built the exact wheel you're working on, but I didn't save my numbers. The only unfinished box of spokes I have in the garage are 255s.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i dunno, i learned how to build wheels from the internet in the late 90's. none of the wheels i've built have ever had a problem (and i've built several dozen wheels for myself and others). the only mix up i ever had was on a bmx wheel that was given to me in parts by another mechanic at my old shop; he failed to tell me the spokes were laced for 4x not 3x.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Pretty sure it's not all that difficult. I just like having multiple sources of information and he has a very well organized 'book' that is well written and clear. I also like the fact I have it printed out and can have it sitting right there while I do it. I've built motors and all kinds of other random crap. Bike wheels seem pretty straightforward.

On I side note, I think I'm just going to go for it with 254s and 14mm nipples and see what happens.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea, everyone learns differently.

rounding down is always a good rule of thumb when building wheels, try to avoid rounding down more than 1.5 to 2mm. i never drop down more than that and i build my wheels with pretty high tension.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
TL;DR full thread...

Given the measurements you listed, you could go 255mm all around and be ok....I wouldn't stress over it.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Not that I can tell...why? Laced up fine and will be put to the test at Snow Summit this weekend. I'll definitely be bringing an extra wheel just in case....

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
In the 1st pic, the wheel was just fitted. Spoke cups were installed about a turn and all the spokes and nipples were loosely installed. I put a drop of loctite on the cups and tightened them down. Then I oiled the nipples and inside of the cups and tightened/trued the wheel.

from the 2nd pic it doesn't look like your nipple inserts are installed all the way.
Cups are definitely tight. Snugged them down with the Park wrench.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
did you pre-relax them and re-true?
Just tighten them up and let them sit then re-true?

I put the wheel flat and pushed on the rim, you can definitely hear the spokes move. The wheel has been tensioned up for about a day. I was thinking about loosening it and re-doing it just for practice. It has a small hop in right now, but it was also a used rim, so not sure if it was super straight to begin with.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Ended up putting two full days at the local lift park with it. Feels super solid, still true and no loose spokes. Win.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Ended up putting two full days at the local lift park with it. Feels super solid, still true and no loose spokes. Win.
lucky dog. my rear wheels always come loose after i build them. luckily they stay tight after the first tru

also, not sure what you used for spoke prep. but if youre down to try new stuff, use linseed oil next time you build a wheel. love that stuff.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
lucky dog. my rear wheels always come loose after i build them. luckily they stay tight after the first tru

also, not sure what you used for spoke prep. but if youre down to try new stuff, use linseed oil next time you build a wheel. love that stuff.
That's what following the $15 book that I bought does for you :)

I just used regular 30w oil.

GodSmack

Chimp
May 27, 2013
BC
OK its kind of like cheating instead of measuring. I just tell a pro wheel builder at my LBS what hub/ rim combination im using. What lace, usualy 3 cross. Then he sells me the correct length spokes. If the spokes are the wrong length its the shop owners fault.
After the build I squeeze the spokes, detention then retention the spokes. Go for a ride around the block and true em up for the last time.
Packing tape makes for great rim strips.

Last edited:
The last time I got the urge to build a wheel, I got lost in the spoke calculators as you did. Went to LBS to ask for help, they had the wheel I wanted already built, bought it. ANy time subesequently it needed a little tweak due to my abuse, they trued it on the spot, no wait.

Still gotta try building one again, haven't built one since I used to build them from curb-side discard parts in Cambridge in the 1970s.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
It was easy actually. I used the wheel pro site with the published hadley measurements and came out perfect. Built a couple already.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
this is normal. one way to accelerate this the to push on the wheel vertically (i've described this elsewhere)

second boiled linseed oil. a gallon is like 20 bucks. i've got enough to build wheels the rest of my life.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
speaking of wheel building, finally broke down and got a truing stand. there was a cyber monday sale on park tools, can't remember which site, but 25% off? i couldn't pass it up