Quantcast

Bunny Hopping

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
is there a way to help get higher? Should I just work on upper body strength?
as of now, i can hop a curb on both a BMX bike and MTB (did it once on a road bike, but that's besides the point) without clipless pedals, so i know i can b-hop.

btw, what's the difference between a J-hop and a bunnyhop?

craftyman

Chimp
Oct 29, 2002
29palms
bunny hopping is both wheels at the same time j hopping is pull up front wheel then the back.

just work on pulling up higher. you will hop higher with more experience/practice

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
bunnyhopping is pulling the bike off the ground without the use of a ramp.

j-hoping is pulling the bike off the ground without the use of a ramp.

the only difference is a dumb name, made up by trials riders to describe a "stunt" that already had a name. (bunnyhopping)

to get higher at either one, practice.

you can set up a practice pole that you can increase the heigth off and falls over easily or you can use empty boxes and such.

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
J-hopping is drastically different than bunnyhopping. When you J-hop, you pull the front wheel up, then push the handlebars forward to bring the rear wheel up. This means that the higher you pull the front wheel, the higher you can get the rear wheel. When you bunnyhop, you pull both wheels up at the same time, and thus, it's harder to get higher, since the rear wheel is not "following" the frost wheel. Work on your J-hopping.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by SwisSlesS
J-hopping is drastically different than bunnyhopping. When you J-hop, you pull the front wheel up, then push the handlebars forward to bring the rear wheel up. This means that the higher you pull the front wheel, the higher you can get the rear wheel. When you bunnyhop, you pull both wheels up at the same time, and thus, it's harder to get higher, since the rear wheel is not "following" the frost wheel. Work on your J-hopping.
wrong.

the bunnyhop was "invented" before the term j-hop.

trials riders came up with the name j-hop to describe the technique but lifting the bike off the ground, without the use of a ramp or other objects, is a bunnyhop.

it does not matter how you get the bike off the ground.
both wheels at the same time, front tire first and then the back tire or back tire first and then the front tire, it's still a bunnyhop.

but you are correct about being able to get higher off the ground by lifting the front tire first.

NRSracer,
if you can hop up a curb, you know the technique. just keep practicing the same thing on higher objects.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by pnj

if you can hop up a curb, you know the technique. just keep practicing the same thing on higher objects.
bull-hooey.

I can hop up a curb without using the proper technique.

I can hop up a 4' ledge using the proper technique.

First thing to do is practice. If that's not getting you high enough, it's time to hit the gym.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
here's my attempt to help through example pictures. first is my riding buddy demonstrating how you can get decent height by just jumping (and pulling) straight up:

downsides: looks goofy, and you're limited to how high you can jump which hauling around a 30 lb weight essentially.

now on the other hand we have my goofy self, michael jordan-esque tongue lolling and all. takeoff, note the raised front end and how i'm bringing the bars to my hips:

now to actually get the height, you do the second part of the bunnyhop, which is to thrust the bike forwards and tuck it up between your legs (this pic is obviously on a different obstacle than the curb above):

i still have to work on my technique -- the bike should be much higher in relation to me (ie, butt right on the tire, the seat up against the chest). but this should give you the basic idea.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
i'm not trying to start an argument via online communication but do you have documented proof of the names of these stunts?

a J-hop is a form of bunnyhop. as is a deer hop, bronco, dolphin, American bunnyhop and donkey kick.

it depends on what part of the world your from as to what you would call it. just like the manual. it USED to be called a coaster wheelie, now most people use manual, taken from the skateboard world.

I have documented material from as far back as 1982 that says it's a bunnyhop. I didn't hear the word J-Hop until the 90's.

trust me, I'm not trying to sound like an as$ although I'm sure I probably am. I have been researching this subject and even the trials guys that I have spoken with (that have been into riding for longer than 10 years) tell me they use the word j-hop and bunnyhop in exchange for each other.

I'll scan my documentation if you like, I don't have time right now.

really, my bottom line is, you can call anything whatever you like. what it really comes down to is having a good time on a bike.

;)

PaulE

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Sheffield, England
Got to agree with you there pnj, a J-hop is a type of bunny hop.

I've always thought there are 3 types of bunny hop:

The proper bunny hop, or j-hop, where you lift the front end first;
The spd/cheating/going bloody fast type where you jump in the air, pulling the bike with you
The nollie, where you lift the back wheel, followed by the front - not sure if this has any "use" other than looking flash and Tech though!

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I've never seen a bunny hop all four feet at the same time. Even when they're fighting over territory (lots of bunnies in our back yard...).

I've been hopping bikes since... since... a long time ago... damn near 25 years.... and we always called it "bunny hopping" and the front wheel always left the ground first.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Do you?
yes, I said i would scan it if you wanted.

I'm at work now and the documentation is at my house. I'm going on a ride after work so I probably won't be able to get it scanned until after work tomorrow.

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
Originally posted by pnj
yes, I said i would scan it if you wanted.

I'm at work now and the documentation is at my house. I'm going on a ride after work so I probably won't be able to get it scanned until after work tomorrow.
Oh, you do? I believe you, but I actually am curious to see it.

And sorry if I came off as confrontational. It's hard to find out something you've thought your whole biking career to be true is actually wrong ;).

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
no problem. as I said, I'll get it scanned as soon as I can, probably friday evening.
:)

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
ok, the book I got this from is from 1982. it's not in very good shape and I don't want to break the binding anymore than it already is. the first image is two scans that I put together to make one image out of. it was too big to fit on my scanner. you can see it mentions bunnyhoping in the text in the upper left corner.

I didn't show the guy (R.L. Osborn landing the stunt, I figured you know what comes next)

Attachments

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
this next picture shows the date it was published. I had to cut the section out w/ the date and reduce the size of the rest of the image or it wouldn't fit on ridemonkey.

1982. sorry about the large files and the scrolling. I couldn't reduce them anymore or you couldn't read the text.

Attachments

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
you should try and spread the word about bunnyhops/j-hops.

as we have seen, they are the same thing.

so please go forth and help to educate the un-educated.

thank you.;)

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
stairs are good but pinchflats are easy to get there
wood beches work great but not begining..
i use to use boxes alot when i was a kid
whatever works i guess...

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
Originally posted by allsk8sno
stairs are good but pinchflats are easy to get there
wood beches work great but not begining..
i use to use boxes alot when i was a kid
whatever works i guess...
I think I can do higher on stairs since they're inclined and you have more space going forward to get higher. (if that makes any sense to you)

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
that is the greatest thing i've ever seen!!! thanks for taking the time to scan that.

history is important and i'm stoked you showed why!

r.l. osbourne...rad

spoons

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by ©2001
that is the greatest thing i've ever seen!!! thanks for taking the time to scan that.

history is important and i'm stoked you showed why!

r.l. osbourne...rad

spoons
my pleasure. I wish I could have scanned it better but the book is not in the best shape and I don't want to damage it anymore.

it's actually Mike Buff doing the hop, R.L. is balancing on the front tire. I mis-read the caption before. either way, it's still a cool piece of history and it always amazes me how high they bunnyhopped back then.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by Echo
Why does that book keep referring to a J-hop as a bunnyhop? :devil: :D :p
i don't know. I have written the author and they said they are going to change it in the next reprint.

/shakes fist in air at Echo. (don't make me come down there man.):angry:

:D

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by pnj
my pleasure. I wish I could have scanned it better but the book is not in the best shape and I don't want to damage it anymore.

it's actually Mike Buff doing the hop, R.L. is balancing on the front tire. I mis-read the caption before. either way, it's still a cool piece of history and it always amazes me how high they bunnyhopped back then.
Where's Woody Itson and Martin Aparijo?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
Where's Woody Itson and Martin Aparijo?
they still had training wheels in '82.

this book featured the BMXA Trick Team.
at the time it was Mike Buff and R.L. Osborne

while Woody and Martin were certainly riding at this time I don't remember seeing them in the mags until '84 MAYBE 83.

I read EVERY magazine that came out of california then. This book was the first publication dedicated soley to BMX Freestyle.
FREESTYLIN' was first published in 1984. I know woody was in that first mag and may have been in BMXA or BMX Plus before then but he wasn't a house hold name like Buff and R.L. or even Bob Haro.

how's that for an answer?:D

VooDoo

asshat
Dec 21, 2001
Toronto
A bunnyhop is when you use your feet and arms at the same time to bring up the wheels...
a j-hop is when you go into a half-manual, force the front up as high as you can and then kick the rear end up (with front already in the air ) as high as you want. i can only go up a curb (plus alittle bit) wanna be abl eto get higher..

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by VooDoo
A bunnyhop is when you use your feet and arms at the same time to bring up the wheels...
a j-hop is when you go into a half-manual, force the front up as high as you can and then kick the rear end up (with front already in the air ) as high as you want. i can only go up a curb (plus alittle bit) wanna be abl eto get higher..

do you have documentation? it sounds like you are refering to the J-hop as what is shown in the illustration above.

what the heck is a half-manual?

edo-chan

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
sunny Gresham
What's being described as a "j-hop" was called a bunnyhop when I started racing BMX in 1979, and I'm sure it was called that long before then. I'm quite comfortable calling what I know to be a bunnyhop a bunnyhop, and I'm confident that there will be no confusion about what I'm talking about for 99.999999999% of people I'm talking to.

I can see a need for specialized bunnyhop techniques for different needs in trials, so I can see the need to differentiate between them. However, when not doing trials, call a spade a spade.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
AHHHH!

*insert pic of BMXman and Metal fighting tooth-and-nail over these terms here*

People are getting pretty wound up about these terms (and of 'street' vs 'urban' riding, too) in my neck of the woods.

Personally, I'm *just* getting to the point where I can bunnyhop properly (arcing the bike through the air) as opposed to hack-hopping (preloading the bike downwards then jumping up and pulling the bike along wheels-level).

It's still hard for me to time what feels like a very exaggerated motion...actually jumping up and over things is pretty sketchy. I'm sticking to hopping over cracks in the pavement at the moment.

My first step towards getting it right came at a riding clinic, where the instructor told me to 'stand tall' on the bike to begin the move...standing on the pedals and rowing the front end as high as possible while keeping my body vertical. Then it's a matter of hopping the rear of the bike while lifting the front end in an arc... I can get about 1 ft at this point with all that blabbering. :( Gonna start riding more street and putting some effort in to it.

MD

Ed: Yeah, just like #3 in the pic series! Man, I wish I had that skill...and fashion sense.

Question...when I start the hop, it feels like there's a lot of pushing down with my legs as the front comes up...is this good? I think I'm helping preload the bike downwards, so that it's ready to spring back up...but is it??

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
Now think about this :
did you ever see a rabbit hopping? Well, that is why it's called bunnyhop (d'uh rabbithop sounds stupid): first bring up the front, then the back.
End of discussion.