Quantcast

Burn out!

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I so happy one of my Physed teachers who is a hard core marathon runner told me that if i kept doing what i've been doing i will soon burn out which is very bad it took him over a year to recover from it.
If been running 2 hours a day none stop no breaks for the last month or so i do that like 2-3 days a week with a really long one on sunday and weights in between but he says if you run for longer than an hour you have depleted your glycogin and you start burning fat+muscle so he says i should just run 1 hour 3 times week and than do a 2 hour run on sunday because running is much more tiring than biking.
This all makes me happy because i was finding it very difficult to complete 2 hour runs and i was mentally very tired so 1 hour will be very nice.

In about a week i start my base 1 phase i plan to do weights monday and friday
sunday will still be a long endurance workout and
saterday and wedsday medium endurance work outs
Tues day i will most likely do a spin class and thursday i'll leave as an active recovery day does this sound al right indie?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I suspect he knows what he is talking about. I am a runner and I only run for two hours or more one day per week. My other runs are typically 40 to 60 minutes depending on the intensity of the workout for that day.

How many kilometers where you covering in your 2 hour runs? I can't imagine you'd burn out at anything under 25K in two hours... I'm not your coach though. Do what he says. :p

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well i'm only 15 so i'm not a crasy fit super runner guy yet so i guess i can get burnt on less than you. I'm not sure how far i was running.
But doing 2 hours 3 days a week and than 3 hours one day with an intensive weight workout 3 days i week i guess that can burn you out.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
yeah man i told you diong that would burn your system out and that it wasn't any good for you! yeah that set up sounds ok. the main thing you have to worry about during the winter is getting miles in. not hard intense miles just long in the saddle hours. sping class might do you some good just to keep some intensity in your program as long as it's not to much (time wise). you just want to focus on being able to do longer rides so when you get into later phases a 6 hour ride ain't so bad. well that would be the max ride i'd say for you to do.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya thats what suck because it's winter so i can't ride outside and there's no way in hell i'm doing a 6hour ride on a trainer i'd have like serious mental problems after i geuss i'll have to do some seriuos miles in early spring or something a spinclass is an hour long everyone says if i do one a week i'll be the fastest next year i don't know how true that is but i geus when you start training it takes everyone a while to learn whats best for them so i guees i'm kinda going through that now and will be for a long while yet.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
Ya thats what suck because it's winter so i can't ride outside and there's no way in hell i'm doing a 6hour ride on a trainer i'd have like serious mental problems after i geuss i'll have to do some seriuos miles in early spring or something a spinclass is an hour long everyone says if i do one a week i'll be the fastest next year i don't know how true that is but i geus when you start training it takes everyone a while to learn whats best for them so i guees i'm kinda going through that now and will be for a long while yet.
gotta get good winter clothing nad you can ride otu ni that stuff trust me. and that ain't a bad winter ride on the trainer, i've done taht before, just get enough cd's

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by indieboy

gotta get good winter clothing nad you can ride otu ni that stuff trust me. and that ain't a bad winter ride on the trainer, i've done taht before, just get enough cd's
Ha you must feel like a retard after pedaling for 6 hours going nowere. I'm pussy when it comes to cold thats why i should live in Quebec. Also there isn't enough light after i get home from school to go biking.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Stop training like that JMAC, I will get my ass kicked at next years RAIDS!

grab a beer and a poutine or something!

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
LOL you're so funny Deyv i'm really looking forward to the Raids next year cause i really liked the Outback one.

mario

Chimp
May 14, 2002
Denver, CO
Burnout vs. Loss of Fitness

I remember reading that it takes about 10 days to lose measurable cardiovascular/pulmonary fitness (part of the reason why tapering is a good thing before major races, you rest muscles but don't lose fitness), but 8 to 10 weeks to get it back once you deteriorate.

To me the key to avoiding burnout and loss of fitness is to back off on the structured training and just "play." It will be time to start hammering soon enough. In the meantime, I am setting different goals for myself. Right now it's "total hours on the bike per week" without worrying about HR targets (although I am still wearing my monitor). I am also working on/stuggling with the weight lifting regimen I so dearly hate.

Remember, training isn't what makes you strong, it's rest (after training hard). So Midget is right on target about limiting the long days to 1 or 2 per week.

We're getting ready for a cold blast here in Denver, so I have to go get my ride in now... Give me the outdoors over a trainer any time! :D