Quantcast

Burning fat

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm trying to burn off my winter weight early in the season. What roll does intensity play in burning fat? I've always just tried to keep my heart rate up for at least an hour and had decent results. For fat burning, I should go at moderate intensity for at least an hour, shooting for 2 hours, correct? When it come time to strengthen my legs, I'll shorten the workouts but raise the intensity.

Am I on the right track?

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
Moderate (60-80%), even, consistant exercise will burn the fat. When you get into very intense workouts, you are burning calories but not fat.

How is your diet? Are you putting good things into your body?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
No, my diet sucks (for a variety of reasons). Now that the weather is getting better, I'm outside more, so my diet is improving. It will never be good, but it will stop being bad shortly. I'll probably keep going at the pace I've been for another 4-6 weeks or so (60-90 minute rides whenever possible at a pace that doesn't kill me but keeps me sweating and breathing hard). I'll work in an occasional workout ride every other week or so to keep my honest. Then, once I'm in better shape, I'll re-evaluate things.

I'm also going to try to start jogging/trail running twice a week. In another couple of weeks, it should be light out early enough to exercise before work. Having time before work will make a big difference (I work 7:30-4, then have my 15mo daughter to take care of till she goes to bed at 9:00 - then I'm too damn tired to exercise).

I know what I should do, and I know what I want to do, but realistically I'm not going to be able to get 3 runs and 3 rides in each week. So, realistically, I'm going to shoot for a 2 mile run twice a week (before work). A 60 minute (~6-7) mile ride twice a week (before work) and one or two rides of at least 1.5 hours (~10 miles) each week.

So, my schedule would be something like this:

Monday - recover from the weekend
Tuesday - 60 minute/~6.5 mile ride before work
Wednesday - ~2 mile run before work
Thursday - 60 minute/~6.5 mile ride before work
Friday - ~2 mile run before work
- Also, get one 1.5hr ride in during the week, after work (generally Wednesday or Friday evening). Then at least one good ride on the weekend.

Does this sound like a good plan? That should be enough to get my metabolism up, yes? I'll also keep doing my pushups/crunches, etc. so I can fit back into last summer's shorts.

Thanks for the info.

Lost Coyote

Chimp
Jan 30, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
The higher the intensity the workout, more you use glycogen for fuel rather than fat. IMHO, The best way to train properly and burn fat while riding and running is to use a heart rate monitor. If you train at too high of an intensity you may get stronger, but you are not going to burn as much fat than if you stay at a lower heart rate. Many suggest a heart rate of 220 minus your age as a good target heart rate for burning fat. Also don’t think running or riding in miles, go out and run or ride for an hour and forget about how far you’ve run. It’s the amount of time spent in the fat burning zone is what you are looking for not how many miles you’ve logged.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by jacksonpt
OK, where can I get a decent, cheap heart monitor? Can these things be had for ~$25? Recommendations?
I don't think so... entry level Polar models begin at $65.00 or so. It is a wise investment if you are serious about cardio training.

Apr 11, 2003
The Dark Side
Go ahead and spend the 100.00 to get a monitor that lets you set your target zones. That will be of a benefit since you want to stay in an aerobic zone for fat burning and stay away from the anaerobic zone. A decent monitor is not cheap - but it is durable and can be used for riding, running, swimming,etc...
Another big part of the plan is the consistancy of the workouts. You don't have to do the same thing every day or every week, you just have to do something to raise your heart rate every day - sit-ups, running, riding at a moderate pace, competitive eating - OK, just kidding on that last one :p

MTBDOC

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
Way down south
It pains me to see people continue to pass the same old mythology around. First, there is RESEARCH addressing weight loss, and it is clear that higher intensity training burns more calories. This "fat burning zone" is silly. You will burn about the same amount of fat doing slow, easy rides as HARD rides, BUT the higher intensity will burn additional glycogen. Well, guess what? Those calories will either be made up (by eating more) OR by utilizing fat at other times. The ONLY reason to do a slow, steady effort is to do extremely long (4-5 hr) road rides at a steady pace on an empty stomach just drinking water. This will exhaust all of the glycogen as well as burn fat...and then there is only fat left to burn. Actually a bit of INACTIVE muscle gets used too, but it will be non-cycling specific muscle.

As for the weight training, there has been some research conducted on this as well. Additional calories burned by "building more muscle" is a very small resting contribution each day. The actual calorie expenditure of weight training is fairly small, as it only goes for 30 sec or so at a time. The increased metabolic rate after a weight workout is relatively minor, as well.

These myths are perpetuated by people who haven't gone to the trouble to actually learn what research has been done. Now, if you keep doing all the same riding, AND add weights, you will burn a bit extra fat. But riding for that same time will produced a greater weight loss.

Running does burn more calories per minute than riding, no question. But it is very hard on your body, and most people cannot do it for 2 hrs, whereas most people CAN bike for 2 hrs. Also, running will impair your recovery from bicycle training. If you are just a recreational rider, no problem. For a racer, it causes too many problems.

And 220 minus age...excuse me, but that is an OLD predictor of MAXIMAL heart rate, not aerobic training. Watching HR will help if you tend to just piddle along on the bike...otherwise, just keep the pace fast enough that you are breathing a bit harder than usual, but not really labored...BUT throwing in a few 2 minute intervals will burn more calories, trust me.

Eat less, burn more...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by MTBDOC
otherwise, just keep the pace fast enough that you are breathing a bit harder than usual, but not really labored...BUT throwing in a few 2 minute intervals will burn more calories, trust me.

Eat less, burn more...
Cool, plan that's easy to follow that will show some results. Plus, I don't have to cough up $100 for a heart monitor :D

Based on this info, what I've been doing is pretty good - steady singletrack that keeps me breathing hard and sweating (~30 minutes), then a gruesome climb (~5 minutes), then more technical singletrack.

I guess the bottom line is... better diet + more riding = good

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have been waiting for this to come up because it always does… someone always has to know more than everyone else – I just prefer it to be ME!

Higher intensity workouts do indeed burn more calories than moderate exercise but it is seldom recommended for those who want to loose weight.

1) A person who needs to burn fat is probably overweight, the extra weight places a lot of stress on the joints and connective tissues and often leads to injury. Injured persons are not likely to do any exercise at all.
2) A person who needs to burn fat is probably not used to high intensity exercise and will burnout much faster resulting in much shorter periods of exercise.
3) Training at 85% of max is a widely accepted technique – the majority of well trained athletes do not train at levels higher than 90% for more than 10 or 15% of their overall training. In general, 60% of time spent training is spent in the 80 to 85% range.
4) For the purposes of fat loss and improved cardiovascular capacity, a slow and steady increase in endurance related activity will have the desired result while avoiding injury and fatigue issues.

I do not believe anyone is suggesting avoiding high intensity exercise at all - they are just recommending, for the purposes of fat reduction, a method that is safe and enjoyable.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!
Dude, you give some good advise but your delivery sucks. Come down off Know-it-all Mountain and talk to us in a friendly tone, ok?

MTBDOC

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
Way down south
Hmm...the internet is an interesting place...someone makes a statement and it gets passed around => instant fact. I see this so much around bike racing. There is a thread elsewhere around here talking about bodybuilders getting huge, and how they are so much bigger than Ahnold was in his prime...the connection? People used to hang on every word he said, NOT because he was entertaining (which he is!), BUT because there was the irrational belief that he was the best, therefore he knew the most. Actually, he had good genes, a great work ethic, used enough juice, and had tons of charisma. That does NOT equate to knowledge.

I see it now from has-been pro cyclists who realize that they can earn a living selling their advice. Unfortunately, few know anything about physiology, or would know how to read a research paper. Now, they have some knowledge to impart, but unfortunately there is a ton of old mythology being passed along.

Heart rate is a good example. HR doesn't move a bicycle, power does. Training by HR has many problems, yet I see it continue to be advocated. Power measuring devices are out there, and cost a great deal less than the latest and greatest frame...or even fork, for that matter.

If my posting "wrong" offends someone, I am sorry. I didn't realize that this word was "unfriendly". But the truth of the matter is I consider it far more offensive for someone to post incorrect information they read in Bicycling magazine as though it is the truth! And, FWIW, the bike mags have even caught up with the added fat-burning by throwing in a bit of intensity. The metabolic effect is clear...also, there is more GH release when a bit of intensity is added.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I find that riding a lot works great. Sometimes I get tired and spin. Sometimes I come to a sweet section of trail and haul ass. Sometimes I stop and consider my line and landing for a drop. Sometimes someone I'm riding with gets a flat and I stop to help them.

I think if you spend all your time worrying about burning fat and keeping a perfect heart rate, you will get burned out on the sport pretty quick. If you ride a lot and have fun, you will get results and more than likely fall in love with the sport and stay with it.

I'm no speed demon, but I can hang with people who put a lot more thought into their training than I do. ;)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Damn. You are right... screw the $100.00 heart rate monitor and hook-up with a coach who has extensive experience in indoor wattage training. :thumb:

I see it now from has-been pro cyclists who realize that they can earn a living selling their advice. Unfortunately, few know anything about physiology, or would know how to read a research paper. Now, they have some knowledge to impart, but unfortunately there is a ton of old mythology being passed along.

Ex-athletes fo have practical real world experience... most physiologists have starched white lab coats and limited athletic ability. As an avid cyclist and long distance runner, I naturally pay more attention to proven athletes. :p

Heart rate is a good example. HR doesn't move a bicycle, power does. Training by HR has many problems, yet I see it continue to be advocated. Power measuring devices are out there, and cost a great deal less than the latest and greatest frame...or even fork, for that matter.

I don't think we're training for the Tour de France... just trying to reduce body fat.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Echo
I'm no speed demon, but I can hang with people who put a lot more thought into their training than I do. ;)
You need to hook up for the annual Midget Road Bike Classic... ;)

anyhow.... jacksonpt was seeking advice on burning fat efficiently. :)

MTBDOC

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
Way down south
Ex-athletes fo have practical real world experience... most physiologists have starched white lab coats and limited athletic ability. As an avid cyclist and long distance runner, I naturally pay more attention to proven athletes.
Great...see you at the races....Now, for those who actually want to increase their knowledge, rather than their hat size....pay attention!

I just love you guys that know absolutely what works...OKAY...serial midget...tell me about your RACE RESULTS that YOU use to back your statements...bring it on, little man~!

And, for those who care...I am NOT a GIFTED athlete...yet have won MORE than my share of expert races...but ignore me...I just read research, train, and race...what do I KNOW...

monkeywench

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
movin' on...
I just love you guys that know absolutely what works...
I know what works for me, which probably isn't what works for you.

People on this forum share their knowlege in the hopes that someone else may benefit; no guarantee though. That's why we're not charging for our "services". :)

Lighten up. One size does not fit all. ;)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I just love you guys that know absolutely what works...OKAY...serial midget...tell me about your RACE RESULTS that YOU use to back your statements...bring it on, little man~!
The biggest insult I can throw at you now is... ZonicMan... :p

As for racing we can easily do apples to oranges... I don't mind.

While I do a lot of epic XC and about 3000 road miles each year - I am primarily a trail runner.

In the last year I have run 7 50K mountain trail races, (two with elevation gains in excess of 6,500 feet). My best time for the year was 5:54:04. I also ran 3 marathons, all sub 3:45 with my best time at 3:30:42. I ran quite a few 10Ks - all under 45:00 with the best time being 41:54. I only ran 1 5K and did it in just over 19 minutes. I finished 3rd for my age group in my last marathon and 75th overall of 650 men in my last 10K. In the big picture I am usually in the top third or better for road races and a mid packer for mountain trail races.

I never claimed to be a world class athlete but I don't put out any bullsh!t either. I can and have run 3 day mountain hikes in less than 8 hours.

6 years ago I weighed 203 LBS - in one year I lost 45 LBS by excercising at a moderate rate of 75 to 85% for 2 to 4 hours 3 day a week.

BTW - I never wrote that I knew the only way... I just know a very effective way that is fun, painless and usually injury free.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I have never DNF'd... a key point for 50K runners.

Apr 11, 2003
The Dark Side
Originally posted by Serial Midget
In the last year I have run 7 50K mountain trail races, (two with elevation gains in excess of 6,500 feet). My best time for the year was 5:54:04. I also ran 3 marathons, all sub 3:45 with my best time at 3:30:42. I ran quite a few 10Ks - all under 45:00 with the best time being 41:54. I only ran 1 5K and did it in just over 19 minutes. I finished 3rd for my age group in my last marathon and 75th overall of 650 men in my last 10K. In the big picture I am usually in the top third or better for road races and a mid packer for mountain trail races.
Holy Cow! I feel like such a slug now! I need to get off my a$$ - um, maybe after I finish my drink :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Great...see you at the races....Now, for those who actually want to increase their knowledge, rather than their hat size....pay attention!

And, for those who care...I am NOT a GIFTED athlete...yet have won MORE than my share of expert races...but ignore me...I just read research, train, and race...what do I KNOW...
Maybe if you were to lighten up and stop acting like the be all end all of fitness knowledge, people would give you some respect.

From where I'm sitting, it looks like you are more interested in impressing everyone with your education and race results (and more significantly, belittling others for their lack thereof) than in actually helping fellow RM members.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001

From where I'm sitting, it looks like you are more interested in impressing everyone with your education and race results (and more significantly, belittling others for their lack thereof) than in actually helping fellow RM members.
Besides, everyone on RM knows that 35lb single speed bikes are the real way to ultimate fitness.

I am the true know-it-all-he-man around here!! You will all bow to me!!

HA HA HA!!

:devil:

MTBDOC

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
Way down south
I'll spare you anymore knowledge...40-something min 10k's and 3.5+ hr marathons...see, that's the point. That's where us normal people compete...I've been there, MANY years ago...and I DO KNOW how to exceed those sort of results, or the mtb equivalent. Why else do you think I spend MY time with massive educational posting (probably >200 hrs worth on the MTBR training page). I coach a just a few racers, at FAR LESS than the going rate; my primary purpose is spreading KNOWLEDGE, not kissing little boys' booties...I dare say I have helped more than a few folks get faster through my posts...

Enjoy yourselves, sorry to have offended by teaching with a bit of an attitude...and Indie Boy...see YOU at TWILIGHT!!! Perhaps, just perhaps, THIS time, I won't catch you...actually hoping I don't...'cause it's time for you to get faster...DOC out!

goosemagoo

Chimp
May 21, 2002
Virginia Beach, VA

:eviltongu :stosh:

You may have good info but you may as well write it in chinese. Your attitude is SO LOUD I can't hear what you are saying. Do you train dogs with a baseball bat?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Damn - I thinks it's Zonic Man all over again... :dead: :dead: :dead: I think perhaps you over estimate your own importance.

I'll spare you anymore knowledge...40-something min 10k's and 3.5+ hr marathons...see, that's the point. That's where us normal people compete...I've been there, MANY years ago...and I DO KNOW how to exceed those sort of results, or the mtb equivalent. Why else do you think I spend MY time with massive educational posting (probably >200 hrs worth on the MTBR training page). I coach a just a few racers, at FAR LESS than the going rate; my primary purpose is spreading KNOWLEDGE, not kissing little boys' booties...I dare say I have helped more than a few folks get faster through my posts...

Enjoy yourselves, sorry to have offended by teaching with a bit of an attitude...and Indie Boy...see YOU at TWILIGHT!!! Perhaps, just perhaps, THIS time, I won't catch you...actually hoping I don't...'cause it's time for you to get faster...DOC out!

Apr 11, 2003
The Dark Side
I'll spare you anymore knowledge... sorry to have offended by teaching with a bit of an attitude...
Dude! Passing on knowledge and experience is a great use of this forum, and maybe you are great at what you do, but we're not all here to be ultra-marathoners nor are we here to get berated up one side and down the other because our "method" doesn't follow your research. We are all sharing our thoughts about a simple question; "What role does intensity play in burning fat?". Obviously this role will be different for different people because we don't all have the same goal - even if fat-burning is one of them.
Thanks for your wonderful insight into the human body - now see if you can gleem some insight into the human psyche and BE NICE!
<rant over>

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Why else do you think I spend MY time with massive educational posting (probably >200 hrs worth on the MTBR training page).
Home is where the heart is.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Originally posted by Serial Midget
While I do a lot of epic XC and about 3000 road miles each year - I am primarily a trail runner.

I can and have run 3 day mountain hikes in less than 8 hours.

6 years ago I weighed 203 LBS - in one year I lost 45 LBS by excercising at a moderate rate of 75 to 85% for 2 to 4 hours 3 day a week.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I have never DNF'd... a key point for 50K runners.

oooooooooooooo that is so sexy.:love: ;)

i love midgets

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta

lol you have no clue how badly my year went last year. good job you caught me when i had the worst year of my racing career :Thumb: :rolleyes: and we'll see what happens at twilight. glad you dropped my name and brought me into this whole thing....and i'll remember all of that when i do get where you, myself, and micky all know i should be......oh btw bro, you do realize i'm only 18 right....

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Maybe if you were to lighten up and stop acting like the be all end all of fitness knowledge, people would give you some respect.

It's comes from everyone at MTBR.com forums praising him like he's the God of training.
Personally I don't think you (MTBDOC) are and I have more respect for someone like Serial Midget than you who loves to put Junoir racers down :monkey:

Will_Jekyll

CUSTOM Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Superior,CO
According to a book I'm reading right now "Bicycling Magazine's Nutrition for Peak Performance" you burn mostly fat for energy during low intensity work outs at about 50 - 60 percent of your aerobic capacity after that it's mostly Blood Glucose to 70 percent of your VO2 max then it's all stored Glycogen in your muscles and anaerobic.

Apr 11, 2003
The Dark Side
Originally posted by Will_Jekyll
According to a book I'm reading right now "Bicycling Magazine's Nutrition for Peak Performance" you burn mostly fat for energy during low intensity work outs at about 50 - 60 percent of your aerobic capacity after that it's mostly Blood Glucose to 70 percent of your VO2 max then it's all stored Glycogen in your muscles and anaerobic.
Yeah, that's the way I've always understood it. A heart rate monitor makes it easy to know your zones and stay where you need to to accomplish your goals, but if you want a low-intensity workout for fat burning you can do almost anything that does not cause you to breathe hard but yet elevates your heart rate over a resting level. Faster results with a faster heart rate, but stay below the 50% range to burn the fat.
I've also noticed that if I drink a ton of water I don't seem to store tons of water in my body - an excellent way to drop another pound or two and do something healthy is drink lots of water all day - yeah, I know you will spend upwards of half the day in the loo, but it's still good to do - most of us don't get enough water day to day.