Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No, no, no. @jstuhlman has it right... an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel is the answer to most problems. I mean, with the notable exception of the press fit bearing thing, obviously.

Man's first tool wasn't the angle grinder. All tools depend on the hammer's existence. You can make tools with little more than a hammer and fire.

rokcore

Chimp
Feb 17, 2021
Careful now... @rokcore might be insulted that you're inferring he used the wrong tool. Clearly that tool is made for removing bearings from a Specialized swingarm, not one where the bearing is either pressed in or pulled out. Do try and keep up.
No, no, no. @jstuhlman has it right... an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel is the answer to most problems. I mean, with the notable exception of the press fit bearing thing, obviously.
It WOULD have been more helpful had they told me a cutting wheel or an oxy torch. They don't have to make a drawing for that

rokcore

Chimp
Feb 17, 2021
the part of the diagram you are referencing (if you take it literal) says that the entire assembly goes in from the outside of the chainstay, yet you were able to realize that that clearly isn't the case, so you just thought they all went into the seatstay instead? dummy...
Fair. Oversight on my part since it seemed accurate at the time with the exception of them being too lazy to break the drawing apart further. Again, no reason to question anything but the decision to not have the drawing separated more at that point

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
What's more confusing is why not just do it the way the diagram indicates in the first place. Seems like it would save time having it all go in one side?
That diagram might reflect a previous version of the assembly. Might be a case where they made running production changes and never updated the diagram.

Doesn't exactly help you, but it's a plausible scenario.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
...no reason to question anything...
I've seen you post this bit right here more than once, with regards to various actions you took during this process. But in your original post, you state...

So I put the park tool bearing kit to it, got a little tough but kept going based on the drawing information, and ended up breaking the tool...
So it "got a little tough" ? And then what? The Park tool just up and exploded? My common fucking sense tells me you're understating this a bit here, sport. But since I have no idea how the tool broke, or what kind of force you were putting on it, or anything other than what you've written in your first post... feel free to enlighten me. Regardless, the fact that the bearing tool wasn't working to get the bearing out was maybe a pretty big fucking reason to hit the pause button, hombre. But no, you had to press on with the... errr, pulling out of the bearing that, uhhh... is pressfit. Into the frame. Oh but wait... the diagram told you it was fine! How quickly I forget these things.

Your continued insistence that an incorrect drawing is directly responsible for you munging your tool (heh heh) is IMNSHO laughable at best. And your further expectation that "without a replacement frame" you "don't see this issue being resolved" seems pretty far-fetched given what I know. As such, I still don't have a lot of clarity around what you think you'll gain from registering for, starting complaint threads in, and continuing to engage in those threads on *checks notes* at least four mountain bike forums. Oh I know, I know... you just want to help. Maybe someone else won't make the same mistake you did. Blah, blah, blah. I still call bullshit. If you truly wanted to be helpful, you would have taken a much different tack than you did.

But here we are, and you haven't wavered course despite so many giving you feedback that might spur another, lesser man to reexamine their approach. So again... kudos to you, champion. For continuing to so bravely commit yourself to the unique and unpopular direction you've taken here. I hope you find the validation you seek.

Last edited:
Fair. Oversight on my part since it seemed accurate at the time with the exception of them being too lazy to break the drawing apart further. Again, no reason to question anything but the decision to not have the drawing separated more at that point
i'm mostly surprised that you were able to get the back of the pivot bolt to come thru all the bearings and stays to come thru the front like the diagram shows to even keep you thinking that was the way to disassemble it in the first place..

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
i'm mostly surprised that you were able to get the back of the pivot bolt to come thru all the bearings and stays to come thru the front like the diagram shows to even keep you thinking that was the way to disassemble it in the first place..
^This, no doubt it's a shit exploded view, but at least it's so thoroughly shitty that it alerts you of it's shiftiness.

Rule #1, 2 and 7 of bearing service are "Have a look before applying more force". I don't see how it's even possible to pull the first bearing, and then apply so much force to the second that you break the tool. Same size bearings in the same bore, a drastic increase in force is a huge red flag.

I'd even go out on a limb and wager that if he'd have just been cool with YT and said "Hey bud, I got confused by your diagram and think I fucked up my chain-stay, how do I get a replacement?" they'd have just sent him one. That's assuming they had one, which they probably don't, because it's YT and 3 minutes of Google would have told him that they suck at handling warranty replacements long before he ordered one.

I still think you should have to pass a background check in order to buy tools. God help the GG CS guys when he tries to change his headset offset, only flips one cup around and ends up sticking the fork through crooked and torqueing it down with an impact gun because the bearings won't seat.