Quantcast

buying a '13 rockhopper wagonwheel edition

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
buying it for super cheap from a guy and have been wanting to have a XC bike to smash out some miles in the local woods/ roads

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/archive/2013/rockhopper/rockhopper29#specs

except for alot of chainslap marks, the thing looks pretty good.
i have different grips, bars, seat, seatpost that i will change but..
first thing i want to do with it is switch up the 3X9 drivetrain. i was thinking of a 1X11 set-up, but the bottom bracket is Shimano, Octalink spline, 73mm, and i dont know what good setup will fit that BB

what do you guys recommend?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If you hate the sound of the front derailleur, just strip the granny and big gear off the crankset, ditch the shifter and derailleur, and run it 1x9. The low range isn't that much better with other setups- you get a 36t if you go up to 10 speed (or one of the 1x10 kits out there) and the 1x11 SRAM is 42t.

For a while, I rode a 30x32 (so a 30t up front and an 11-32 in the rear) on my krampus and found that the gearing was acceptably low for our short but really steep climbs around here. You might throw on a narrow wide ring (yes, it does work without a clutch derailleur) in 30t to get a little more low range. I think you'll be shock at what a difference a nice light aluminum frame with big wheels can do, especially on reasonably buff singletrack.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
fwiw i run my trail bike as a 1x9, 11-34 cassette. 32t cog. gives a good range for all but the steepest climbs (which i'm too fat to make it up even with a granny gear).

if you need an 11-34 i might have one in the parts box

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
fwiw i run my trail bike as a 1x9, 11-34 cassette. 32t cog. gives a good range for all but the steepest climbs (which i'm too fat to make it up even with a granny gear).

I think it comes with an 11-34.

Yeah, the BSA BB would work with any shimano two piece setup...which are the best choices for cranks if you like robust build and reliability combined with light weight and stiffness. If you like colors, there's raceface.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
If you hate the sound of the front derailleur, just strip the granny and big gear off the crankset, ditch the shifter and derailleur, and run it 1x9. The low range isn't that much better with other setups- you get a 36t if you go up to 10 speed (or one of the 1x10 kits out there) and the 1x11 SRAM is 42t.

For a while, I rode a 30x32 (so a 30t up front and an 11-32 in the rear) on my krampus and found that the gearing was acceptably low for our short but really steep climbs around here. You might throw on a narrow wide ring (yes, it does work without a clutch derailleur) in 30t to get a little more low range. I think you'll be shock at what a difference a nice light aluminum frame with big wheels can do, especially on reasonably buff singletrack.

cool...yeah ill try the 1X9 idea with a narrow wide and see how that goes
and yeah im stoked on feeling the wheel difference/bike difference

just read this part. i'd be willing to bet its a standard threaded BB
thanks for the info! ive got a parts box too, but i will let you know
thanks again